Should I upgrade the firmware in my Creative DVD8400E?

vbimport

I've had this drive since May of 2000 and I have never updated the firmware--the version that's installed right now is 1C26 (RPC2).

This drive is a re-branded Matsushita/Panasonic SR-8585 and I see a ton of firmwares around for that thing, some of them remove region protection (being in Region 1 and not being much of a world traveler, that doesn't bother me).

Would I gain/lose anything going from 1C26/1W26 (I assume that they're the same, the C just denotes Creative) to 1W29 or 1W32?

The lack of documentation, specifically change logs, is disturbing...

http://www.mke.panasonic.co.jp/en/device/dvd/dvd8585.html

They also hint on their download page that firmware might need to be changed on some drives to read Type 2 DVD-RAM discs (2.6GB--removed from carrier)

Panasonic's industrial site says it's discontinued, but says the drive supports Ultra DMA 33. Mine currently works in Multi-Word DMA mode 2. Is it worth messing with? (Then there's the possibility of DAE issues...)

I suppose if I b0rk it, I can just get a Lite-On LTD-163 from Newegg for US $39 or a Toshiba SD-M1612 for $45... :stuck_out_tongue:

Too late… I did it! The flashing came off without at hitch and I now have a MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8585 (1W32)

Matsushita makes a nice DOS flash util, though there’s no option to back up the old firmware.

And we are now in ULTRA DMA MODE 2! W00t w00t!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I gotta test this puppy…

Edit:

Nothing is different that I can tell… except for UDMA 2 :slight_smile: