Should I upgrade my burner?

vbimport

Hello all. First post here, I hope this is the right place.

I currently have a Pioneer DVR-105 (older model, -R only, 4x). I’m getting ready to transfer some home videos to DVD Video. I don’t care about burn speed, but I do care about quality, compatibility, and long-term reliability. I’m debating between keeping the Pioneer and burning -R, or upgrading to something like the Samsung SH-S202J and burning +R (bitset to -ROM). I plan to use Verbatim media only (MCC). I understand that the +R format is a bit more robust, and I’m wondering if a newer drive might have some benefits in that department also. But if there’s not a big difference either way, then I’d prefer to just use the Pioneer I already have.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard spocko. :iagree: :clap:
If you wanting to change to + media, then a change of drive is essential.
However if speed not important. Burn quality good. Prepared to stick with - media.
You could carry on as you are.
Personally I’d go with Pioneer again.
The DVR-115(D).
This drive is showing to be an excellent alround drive.
Quality of burned media up there at the top.
If using + media, you can now have Pioneer drives auto bitset for SL media*.
They are already bitset for DL media by default.
For more on the patching of Pioneer f/w with MCSE* to enable bitset.
[B][U]See here:[/U][/B]

I am not sure that - is anyway better than +.
Neither than 215 is a good drive.
But sooner or later I 'll get one. :bigsmile:

@ spocko,

Welcome to the Forum.

Considering that your Pioneer DVR-105 is many years old I believe purchasing a new modern DVD Burner that supports all the newer Modern 16x speed Media is in order. If you fail to upgrade to a new modern DVD Burner you will find it increasingly difficult to find blank DVD Media that your Pioneer DVR-105 old no longer updateable Firmware will support. In short 4x speed rated blank DVD Media is virtually impossible to find nowadays.

If you want to stick with an IDE Device I would recommend the Pioneer DVR-115 or if you want to step up to the newer SATA interface I would suggest the Pioneer DVR-215. Keep in mind if you chose to up date to a SATA Drive you will might possible have to purchase a SATA PCI Controller Card.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for the input everybody! A few additional comments/questions:

I have successfully burned 16x media in my old Pioneer, it just burns it at 4x. Presumably the older drive doesn’t have specific write strategies for the newer media, though, which is one reason I thought a newer drive might produce better burns on current media. Is there any truth to that? Can I expect good burns on new media with an old drive?

The new Pioneers do look interesting, and I have been happy with the quality of my existing Pioneer. However, one thing that turns me off to the current Pioneers is that I’ve read they don’t support quality scanning. I would like the ability to do quality scanning so I can have some way to assess the quality of my burns. With my DVR-105, I am able to do scans with Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.51.1, but the latest ver 4.7.7.15 says “Drive does not support this function”. Anyone know why this might be?

Hi,[QUOTE=spocko;1998302]With my DVR-105, I am able to do scans with Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.51.1, but the latest ver 4.7.7.15 says “Drive does not support this function”. Anyone know why this might be?[/QUOTE]Disc quality scanning was disabled in newer versions of CD/DVD Speed. If I remember correctly, this was done on request from Pioneer.

Since DVD writers are really cheap nowadays, I’d suggest buying two drives:
A Pioneer as “general use” DVD writer and a Liteon as reader/scanner.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1998346]
[/QUOTE]

I would agree :iagree:

The 115D is a very nice drive BTW, I’m happy with mine so far :slight_smile:

You may want to consider getting a LiteOn first because it’s a good scanner, and scan some of the DVR-105 burns and keep using the Pioneer burner if burn quality is good. Then consider getting a new Pioneer burner if burn quality of the old one is not so good. I still have a DVR-107 that still works well, and scanning is unimportant to me. Play compatibility is very important to me, and the old Pioneer burns have never failed to play on all players tried.

Does anyone have comments whether +R is really more reliable than -R? I know that in theory is should be, due to better tracking and error correction methods. But sometimes reality is not the same as theory.

Based on the comments here, may I infer that the LiteOn drives are regarded as good scanners, but not good burners?

Thanks!

I don’t know whether +R is more reliable, but their capacity is slightly more than -R. I’ve tried burning a DVD image before to -R which indicated there was not enough available space, but same image burned to +R with no problem. Also I have an old Toshiba DVD player that would play no recordings created on LiteOn LVW-5005 recorder regardless of media used until I learned the old player would play all 5005 +R recordings when recorded with book type set to DVD-ROM.

LiteOn burners are good scanners and are pretty good burners too. However, I chose Pioneer burner after reading all reviews as well as problems posted in forums because Pioneer is best overall in burn quality IMO and seems to have fewer user problems posted in forums.

Thanks again for all the input. I am considering the Pioneer 115D as suggested. One more question on that: Do the Pioneers favor -R media, or is their burn quality equally good on +R? If I buy a new drive, I want to go with +R media.

Thanks

[QUOTE=bevills1;1999326][B]I don’t know whether +R is more reliable, but their capacity is slightly more than -R.[/B] I’ve tried burning a DVD image before to -R which indicated there was not enough available space, but same image burned to +R with no problem. Also I have an old Toshiba DVD player that would play no recordings created on LiteOn LVW-5005 recorder regardless of media used until I learned the old player would play all 5005 +R recordings when recorded with book type set to DVD-ROM.

LiteOn burners are good scanners and are pretty good burners too. However, I chose Pioneer burner after reading all reviews as well as problems posted in forums because Pioneer is best overall in burn quality IMO and seems to have fewer user problems posted in forums.[/QUOTE]

Wrong!
DVD-R can hold more MB than DVD+R can.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1998346]Hi,Disc quality scanning was disabled in newer versions of CD/DVD Speed. If I remember correctly, this was done on request from Pioneer.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I totally agree withn this quote I would buy both of these exact drives.  :iagree:

Allrighty, it’s done. I just ordered a Pioneer 115 from Newegg based on the comments here, some reviews, and the fact that I’ve been happy with my old Pioneer drive. It cost $5 more than the Samsung 202, but hopefully it will give better burns. I decided not to worry about scanning, because I bought a 100-pack of Verbatim 16x +R (made in Taiwan, presumably MCC004) which for me will probably last the life of the drive. I’m not going to try different medias. Hopefully this combo will be pretty “foolproof”, and will keep me happy until Blue Ray burners/media are affordable.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.

[QUOTE=spocko;2000862]Allrighty, it’s done. I just ordered a Pioneer 115 from Newegg based on the comments here, some reviews, and the fact that I’ve been happy with my old Pioneer drive. It cost $5 more than the Samsung 202, but hopefully it will give better burns. I decided not to worry about scanning, because I bought a 100-pack of Verbatim 16x +R (made in Taiwan, presumably MCC004) which for me will probably last the life of the drive. I’m not going to try different medias. Hopefully this combo will be pretty “foolproof”, and will keep me happy until Blue Ray burners/media are affordable.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.[/QUOTE]

Nice drive and media choice. My 115D does well with those :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

[quote=mciahel;1998346]Hi,Disc quality scanning was disabled in newer versions of CD/DVD Speed. If I remember correctly, this was done on request from Pioneer.

Michael[/quote]

You can find v 4.51.1 here: http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:v-29laSWyzsJ:www.progs.pl/82,pobierz.html+Nero+CD-DVD+Speed+4.51.1&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us

Move to the right to see the link…z