Should I update my firmware? (NEC3500a bad burns)

vbimport

Hi guys, I have a slightly noobish question for you all. Do you guys suggest I upgrade to the latest firmware? Are the write strategies and burn quality all the better? Are Liggy and Dee truly gods? Also, if I’m hijacking this thread, let me know I apologize.

The reason I ask is because I haven’t updated since 2.18 a long time ago. One reason I never got into it was I could never run cd/dvd tests on the 3500. By accident I discovered my Liteon LTD163 DVDRom drive could do it, although I’m not sure how reliable it is for that.

And lately I’ve been testing my burns and they look horrible. Last one I got got a 25 score on Maxell02 media and another a 84 TYG01. It seems that everytime my drive rebuffers to go up a speed (i.e. starting at 4x and going up to 6 to 8 etc.) the burn quality goes down. I don’t plan to use 16x for awhile as I have a backlog of 8x Max02’s, Ritek05’s, TDKYuden02’s and 4x TYG01’s.

I scanned an old Philips CMC crappy disc just for the heck of it and got a freakin 10 on it.

And if I do update the FW, I HAVE to have a new DVD+RW to be able to reset the booksetting even though all my used ones are set to DVD-ROM already? I use DVD+RWs a bit and don’t really want to have to buy new ones just for that, so it’s a bit of a stupid detterent of mine, but it won’t stop me if updating will really solve things.

Anyways, your opinions and thoughts will really be appreciated, thanks!

Not yet. We’re working on it, but we’re still human :wink:

The reason I ask is because I haven’t updated since 2.18 a long time ago. One reason I never got into it was I could never run cd/dvd tests on the 3500. By accident I discovered my Liteon LTD163 DVDRom drive could do it, although I’m not sure how reliable it is for that.

DVD ROM drives are known to be much less reliable for scanning purposes.

I scanned an old Philips CMC crappy disc just for the heck of it and got a freakin 10 on it.

The Quality Score does not say that much - in particular when only using a DVD ROM drive.