Should I try the zebra mod v4 on my 411S?

vbimport

Hi all :slight_smile:

I have a liteon LDW-411S. This drive gave me headaches earlier when new. A couple of firmware fixes later it works like a charm. I’m currently using the FS0J official firmware. Have no problems so far.

I burn Imation DVD-R (2X - CMC MAG) with this drive. The kprobe scans improve with every burn. This drive seems to love Imation :slight_smile:

Now that my drive is perfectly running, is there any advantage in modding this drive to an 811S (I have the zebra V4 patch) apart from the 8X speed on +R’s.

I don’t mind spending half an hour burning the 2X Imations, these run fine on my Samsung E-318 standalone DVD player.

Any other gains I can expect on the modded drive or is it better to leave it as it is???

If so - which firmware version should I go for HS0K or the latest ?HS0P??

And were I to go to a 811S and then back to the 411S using a backup of my eprom will the drive function like my original 411S. I reckon that the eprom changes with every burn as the drive learns more about the media and laser calibration…

TIA
xytise

If it aint broke don’t fix it.
Many people don’t really have the need for 8x +R writing (this is indeed all the mod adds).
Contrary to what some people say there is no change to write quality because of the mod. If there are any slight variations it is because of using different firmware not because of the mod.

I would leave the 411S as a 411S until you have media cpable of writing at 8x. If not, why bother?

Yes you can go back to the 411S if you are one of those curious types that likes to do things just to do them :iagree:

As always there is a small risk of destroying your burner so be aware that something could potentially go wrong.

Originally posted by Ssseth
Contrary to what some people say there is no change to write quality because of the mod. If there are any slight variations it is because of using different firmware not because of the mod.

according to Ssseth,
different firmware = slight variations (better quality)
Z mod = different firmware (as needed for the mod)
Therefore, by substitution
Z mod = different firmware = slight variations
which simplifies to
Z mod = slight variations (better quality)

Math class adjourned:bigsmile:

Originally posted by booma
[B]according to Ssseth,
different firmware = slight variations (better quality)
Z mod = different firmware (as needed for the mod)
Therefore, by substitution
Z mod = different firmware = slight variations
which simplifies to
Z mod = slight variations (better quality)

Math class adjourned:bigsmile: [/B]

You are assuming that the firmware will be better. That is quite a generalization that can be dependent on a wide variety of factors (including what media is used). Better writing quality or worse… neither answer has yet been proven to my satisfaction. :smiley:
From what I have seen though, either way the results are usually very minimal one way or the other and not large enough to be a factor.

The only reason I see to perform the mod is if you really want the 8x +R writing and/or you just can’t help yourself out of curiosity sake and know the risks (even though they are small) before attempting it.

I just ordered me a spindle of Imation 2X DVD-R. My liteon just loves them.

As far as I see the 8X speeds for +R wouldn’t help with DVD-R media. The price difference between 4X +R Media and 2X -R media is just too much here in India for me to grab +R’s.

I would prefer a stable drive with quality burns as opposed to a modded drive with could theoretically be unstable.

Will do a mod if the burn quality improves. I see a PI/PO of 20.1/3.0 on my DVD-R’s atm with FS0J. Don’t need anymore than that.

As they say “Real pleasure does not come in an Instant! ;)”

Will stick to my 411S atm. (Call me chicken if you will - but I ain’t fixing something which works fine…)

xytise

so if everything is perfect with your drive and your burned disc´s, why change anything? The new 8x disc are far to expensive and not in good quality yet. Maybe in a few month things will change, so you can still upgrade. Right now it is not making much sense to do this upgrade.

About the media, well that’s not entirely true (price wise). There are a few types of +R 4x media that will burn at 8x in the 811S.
Do a search in the forums for which, but I know there is a Ricoh one that is available all over the place (if you know how to look on the internet) and has nice write quality.
The best part is, it’s charged at 4x prices so usually just as expensive as -R 4x media.

Zebra v5 alpha mod is currently under testing!

So the idea of waiting for a upgrade should be worth the wait. I’m told Imation 4X+R (RICOHJPN-01) can be burned at 8X, and this is one media available at my end.

Guess I’ll wait and watch out for the Kprobe scans with Zebra V5!

xytise

I’m sure what you mean is RICOHJPNR01. :smiley: Yes that is the media I was talking about though :bigsmile:

So SSSeth, you used to have a 411S@811S as per your previous signatures but your current signature no longer mentions what DVD burner you are using anymore. Do you no longer use the Zebra mod hack and have reverted back to your regular 411S?

The reason I ask is that since I had heard about the mod since v2, then v3, and now currently v4, I had always tried it out and I thought everything was fine. I only had +R media and it was fun burning it at 8X. Recently I purchased a DVD+RW media from blankmedia.ca and although I know they say that the latest Zebra v4 mod is not supposed to affect anything else other than +R 8X writing, I found it did affect my writing to my 2.4X DVD+RW with respect to how well it plays in my set top DVD player. I tried using both HS0K and HS0P. My first couple of burns were fine (full erase in between), but then it went downhill with subsequent results often stalling and skipping in my set top DVD player. I reverted back to my 411S and the FS0J firmware and rewrote the DVD+RW and it seems to play fine now with no skipping.

Have you or anyone else experienced this?

I still use the 411S@811S. I did it not because of a desired improvement in write quality or for 8x +R writing (I currently am still using my G04 media I bought when I first got the drive).
I did it because I’m just a naturally curious person and couldn’t help myself (like I mentioned above though, I knew the risks and was aware I could damage things). I’m the same way with my CPU and GFX card, I just love to overclock :iagree:

Regarding your +RW issue, like I’ve said I would think it is the 811S firmware that was giving you issues and not the actual mod.
The basic thing I am saying is stick with what works if you don’t want to be bothered with any possible problems that may arise and/or don’t feel confident with what you are doing.
Myself I am confident I can fix most problems myself so I ‘tinker’ allot with my computer because it is my passion

i’d get a 401s and mod it first wallyworld er walmart has them for cheap i mean cheap! my walmart has them for $49!!

I didn’t want to mess with my baby… 411s so I modded the 401@811s using version 4 works great so far :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Ssseth
I’m sure what you mean is RICOHJPNR01. :smiley: Yes that is the media I was talking about though :bigsmile:

Sorry ssseth,

My mistake - the media is indeed RICOHJPNR01 :slight_smile:

I have 5 of these burned at 4X and they support 8X burns in the Litey 811s or 411s@811s

xy