Should i over-clock? please advise T_T

vbimport

when i bought my new pc, i thought it was gonna last quite a while, until i realised that future pc games will soon require AT LEAST p4 3.0ghz in order to run properly (unreal3 for example), although my pc is already equipped with 1gbram and gf6600 card, it appears my cpu, which is a pentium 4 clocking at 2.66ghz, will soon become a bottleneck in the future.

when i first built my pc, i ran out of budget and was forced to settle with a bad psu, chasis and old p4 2.6gbz, i was well aware that the cpu is already abit outdated and might not be able to handle future applications, however since i ran out of money i was forced to make do and settle with what i got, i thought it might hold out until games like unreal tournment 3 came out then it’ll truely be retired, however within a year of purchase i already find myself facing with the grim reality that my cpu will soon be retired, hence why i’m here today;

-i want to know if it’s safe to overclocking my cpu from 2.66ghz to 2.8ghz, since that’s wht unreal 3 will require in the future, and if i should, then where can i find the MOST REALIABLE and SAFE SOURCES and guides for performing this operation?

-i heard there is a way to safely “soft” overclock a cpu safely, i rememebr seeing the software before but i forgot it’s name, does such software even exsist?

-if a game require 2.8ghz and i only have 2.6ghz, is it possible for the game to run at all? i know each game is different and results varies, but i just wondering, that’s all

thanks, so much for the help.

psu250w
asus mb
p4 2.6
1gbram
gf6600
80gb hd sata
dvd rom
dvd writer
tv tuner

Yep!!! I would crank the sucker up as high as it will go :slight_smile:

overclocking requires a good PSU, and since yours is already at its limits it wouldn’t be a good idea to push it further. although if you just need 2.8 to run a game you might be able to pull it off, just run overclocked for gaming then go back to stock (or even underclocked) for windows to reduce the stress on the psu. the program you are thinking of is clockgen, google it and download. you should easily be able to get 200mhz out of it, but no guarantees :wink:

your vid card is going to be a bigger bottle neck in next gen games than your cpu, my advice would be save up your money and in a few months build a new rig, by then a C2D E4300 should be cheap and mid-range dx10 cards will be out. you should be able to sell your current system for $200-$300 to help pay for the new parts

You’d hardly notice the difference between 2.6GHz and 2.8Ghz.

this is true, but if the game runs a hardware check it probably won’t play with anything under minimum reqirements

although if said game does boot up and run at 2.6 there would be no benefit from OCing to 2.8

1. Overclocking is only as safe as the precautions you take to overclock it.
  2. Software overclocking is simple. If you could overclock with your bios, I would rather do it that way.
  3. The game will still run but it might run choppy. I have ran many games with my AMD CPU being reported as too slow and the games still run fine. However games that need Shader Model 3.0 and 4.0 will not run at all or lock up at a black screen. I have tried a Shader Model 2.0 card on a game with Shader Model 3.0 and it doesn’t work of course :stuck_out_tongue: .

Everyone’s worst fear about overclocking is [B]heat[/B]. If you’re looking for a mild overclock, you should buy a better fan+heatsink. Otherwise you will have to watercool your PC. Watercooling is expensive but in some cases as in OC’ing the Core 2 Duos, it’s well worth it. Cooling a CPU alone with good parts cost around $150. If you want to cool both CPU and Videocard it will cost $200 or more. Keep in mind that you will need a very good, solid, and stable PSU to overclock. Overclocking with a poorly made PSU will result in failure because not enough voltage will be supplied to the component you are OC’ing. The good thing about buying watercooling parts is that you can buy Universal waterblocks that will enable you to move from platform to platform without buying a new block because you can use adapters. So you never have to re-buy the wc’ing parts again unless the water pump fails. Overclocking is expensive and risky, unless you have the money for replacement parts, I wouldn’t try any extreme overclocking.

i bought this pc hoping it would run unreal tournment 2007 at MINIMUM setting, i am aware that my pc is crap but it’s all i could do with my tight budget, about the bios thing you mention, YES, my asus p5rd1 does have that OC thing in bios, and so my questions are:

-if i’m going to OC my cpu should i use the options in bios right? are they safer?

-about someone mentioning OC my cpu then reverting it back to stock, what did you mean by that?

-should i use clock-gen to OC my cpu? or use my asus bios insted? which one do you think it’s better?

thanks for helping, oh and below are the requiremnts for unreal 2007 i think, please take a look, bye bye for now T_T

UNERAL TOURNMENT 2007 / 3
MIN SYSTEM REQUIREMENT
p4 2.8
512mbram
GF6

Most ASUS bios have a built in overclocking feature that allows 5%, 10%, 20% and 30% O/C which you can use and is the easiest way. You should have no issues going to 10%. Make sure you lock the PCI bus at 33/66. The problem with clock gen is it will increase your PCI bus (if it’s not locked) along with the CPU and could cause damage. Keep an eye on the CPU Temp (mentioned above) under load on make sure it stays with in limits. By the looks of the game requirements it should run but there is really no way to tell until you try.:wink:

Unless it’s a go/no go issue (refuses to run), I boubt that a mild overclock would make much difference to the performance… 2.66 to 2.8 is about 5% - that would mean 1 fps difference in 20, assuming it was CPU limited at that point, and not GPU limited.