Should i go for 10

vbimport

I just got a new laptop and trying to decide 8.1 or 10. Dont have much time to research since i need it up and running as soon as possible. Are the 10 spying issues that bad,and are there other reasons to prefer 8.1 version? Also i’m not in the mood to have to tweak several options use a bunch of spy blocking utlities and such to make them operational and safe for privacy.

[S]Go for a laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed (not a Windows 8.x with free upgrade).[/S]
EDIT: I see you already bought the laptop, so go for Windows 10.

Why?

• Windows 10 is better than 8.x and it’s the future
    [S]- You don’t risk upgrade problems[/S]
  • Spying can be easily limited if you want to with e.g. ShutUp10

I agree with Dragemester.
You will probably get as many opinions as there are users in here, but personally, I see no point in choosing 8.1 over 10 as the telemetry shit is ever so present in both.
If the choice was 7 or 10, the situation would be a little different, but my advice in this case will be go for 10, make sure the setup-process is done without internet connection and remember to choose customize your settings (not express) to opt out of most telemetry collection. When the setup is complete, connect to the net…

Then follow the advice from DrageMester and download O&O ShutUp 10.
More information on the subject here.

Before i asked here, i was almost certain to go for 8.1 as my personal computers already have. But is the telemetry really the same.

What about more network traffic being hogged? Also any other reason not to prefer them overall?

The telemetry was back-ported to both Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 and while you can remove most in Windows 7 without breaking the O.S. for Windows 8.1 and 10 telemetry is more an integral part of the O.S. and so blocking and turning off what you can is your best bet.

The Start menu is back in Windows 10 instead of Windows 8.1 start-screen, and there are several improvements. As DrageMester says: “Windows 10 is better than 8.x and it’s the future” :flower:

Ok i installed turned off all setting on custom installation, installed shutup10 and disabled everything except windows defender.

Couple of questions.
-What is secureboot and legacy support, cause i disabled both on bios to be sure i boot uefi. I also enabled fast boot if that makes any difference.
-Also on boot drive it created 2 additional unmounted partition. One called recovery (450MB), and one EFI System Partition (99MB). Are these useles clutter with some way of removing them, and merging the unallocated space into one single partition, or do i need to keep those.

You do not generally want to use secure boot as that may give you problems with bluescreens. It is a is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that your PC boots using only software that is trusted. more info here.
Now legacy support I guess is BIOS boot support, but it could also mean supporting USB mouse and keyboard at bootup, it will not affect the computer once Windows has loaded. There is little information to go on in your reply as to what it is.

DO NOT touch the EFI and recovery partition, they are both needed!

Absolutely, a free upgrade to 10, with support going forward, vs 8.1 , hmm, thought there was a bigger difference.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle
Only 2-3 more years on Win10 than Win8.1 (which is mainstream to 2018, extended to 2023).

Windows 7 is already in extended support (until 2020), while Vista (no free upgrade) drops out of extended support next year

Why do you guys bother with upgrades and support. I have disabled them. They add lots of clutter and possibly new nuisances, bothering you all the time.

[QUOTE=therock003;2775298]Why do you guys bother with upgrades and support. I have disabled them. They add lots of clutter and possibly new nuisances, bothering you all the time.[/QUOTE]

Well, I can answer that, I always do updates offline even in Windows 10 and so the Windows Update service is set to disabled.
Portable Update will of course start it and so I have to disable it again once it is finished, but it gives me the option of select which updates to install.

There are roughly two types of ordinary updates - Feature and Security. While I really do not care about the first too much as most is disabled anyway, the latter is important to not get infected due to a security hole in the operating system.
They did check AV applications against security holes a few years back, and none of them did catch any exploits as such security holes are the domain of the developer, iow Microsoft.

In other words, I read knowledge base information for each KB number, unpack suspicious updates manually to see what is included and what changes it does.
Then I apply the needed ones only and let the shit be as I really don’t need any updates to telemetry and so on, still I am concerned about security.

That is why I bother with updates and my clear advice is that so should you, for your own safety :flower:

[QUOTE=therock003;2775206]I just got a new laptop and trying to decide 8.1 or 10. Dont have much time to research since i need it up and running as soon as possible. Are the 10 spying issues that bad,and are there other reasons to prefer 8.1 version? Also i’m not in the mood to have to tweak several options use a bunch of spy blocking utlities and such to make them operational and safe for privacy.[/QUOTE]
Do what DrageMester says. But remember if it comes with Windows 10 trying to downgrade is next to impossible since the laptop maker most likely stop doesn’t have any drivers beyond the Windows 10 that came with the laptop.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2775209]I agree with Dragemester.
You will probably get as many opinions as there are users in here, but personally, I see no point in choosing 8.1 over 10 as the telemetry shit is ever so present in both.
More information on the subject here.[/QUOTE]

What do they say about 8.1 telemetry. Is it just as worse as Win10 ?

Everything is back ported which means everything is as bad as it can be unless you do something about it :flower:

It has worked okay for me so far.

According to some replies at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30884335-WIN10-Win-10-Free-Upgrade-Ending-July-29-2016 there’s no control of Windows updates in Win10 and no going back to Win7/8.1 after 7/29 which would be reasons to consider if what’s said is true. There’s also a mention of the free download of Sutup10 to disable unwanted telemetry functions in Win10.

If you want to insure that you can go back to Windows 7 or 8/8.1, make an image backup of the system before upgrading to 10. There are plenty of free disc cloning programs around, including versions of Acronis provided by the major hard drive manufacturers.

Controlling updates can only be done in the Enterprise editions.

There is now a long, many steps process to disable Window update in Win10 at that link in reply #15 plus a very simple method I found and posted there to trick Windows to stop automatic updates for networks and a way I used to disable automatic updates or set how updates are received and installed for Professional version only which I used for my upgrade from Win8.1Pro that I did a couple of days ago. I was having second thoughts until I found such very easy solution, and it should be no problem to revert via restoring an image created before upgrade which I did do before upgrade.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2778322]According to some replies at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30884335-WIN10-Win-10-Free-Upgrade-Ending-July-29-2016 there’s no control of Windows updates in Win10 and no going back to Win7/8.1 after 7/29 which would be reasons to consider if what’s said is true. There’s also a mention of the free download of Sutup10 to disable unwanted telemetry functions in Win10.[/QUOTE]

While I agree to Kerry56 above, there should normally be a 30 day availability to go back or revert to your earlier OS. I am a little uncertain being that the free offer soon rings out so make yourself a backup prior to upgrading as Kerry suggests.
There is no way to control updates out of the box so to speak, but using Portable Update you are still able to select which updates get installed :flower:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2778348]There is no way to control updates out of the box so to speak, but using Portable Update you are still able to select which updates get installed :flower:[/QUOTE]
Google search shows Portable Update a downloadable app, and I assume one would disable automatic updates and use Portable Update instead. Is this correct?

That would be correct. however, you will have to disable Windows update after portable update finishes it’s work as it does enable the service to do its work and fails in disabling it again…

Apart from that little setback, it gets you to be in control just as in Windows 7:)

For Windows 10, you would also use O&O software’s ShutUp10 to regain a little of your privacy (it only ever collects what you can do elsewhere in windows, but it makes it easier). for more information on that subject, visit this post.