Should I downgrade?

Howdy do folks! I know I don’t post as regularly as I use to any more, but I was wondering what you guys opinion would be on my situation.

Okay so I recently built a new computer with a AMD Phenom x2 550 Blackbox Edition (it’s a kick ass processor L3 cache FTW) and upgraded to 5.5 GB of Ram (Yes I know the 512mb of Ram is retarded).

Anyways I’ve been shit out if luck with my Windows Vista 64bit. It keeps crashing and corrupts my videos I make. It’s annoying as all hell.

I want the good ole XP back, but I want my 1.5gb of extra ram! I can’t go to Xp 64bit either because I have a Zune (I love it when Microsoft screws over people that forked out $250 for a product).

So I was wondering if I should go back to Xp 32bit. I know I would loose the 1.5 GB (which royally pisses me off).

I really want to use Xp 32bit again, I never ever had problems with it.

Dual booting is a possibility… but I really hate it.

I say go with what works for you. I have decided to go with 32 bit Windows 7 to avoid driver and older software issues. As a side note, that CPU you have can probably unlock all four cores if your mother supports ACC. Nothing like getting a quad core for the price of a dual core. It might make losing that 1.5 gig of RAM easier to take. :wink:

Windows 7 releases in one week. I realize everyone loves XP but it is 8 years old.

Installing an 8 year old O/S, no matter how you look at it, is not a smart decision.

Have to agree with brokenbuga on installing XP as it is pretty old and like it has already been said
Win7 will be out next week. I’ve been running Win7 x64 for a while now along with Vista x64 on a
dual boot with XP Pro 32 bit on another drive. I’ll have to say that Win7 absolutely blows away XP
and it especially blows Vista away big time. I would have to say wait a few more days and go out
on the 22nd and grab a copy of Win7 x64 and then you can keep all of your Ram (sort of like have
your cake and eat it too.) :iagree:

Hi,[QUOTE=Id33k;2449867]

Okay so I recently built a new computer with a AMD Phenom x2 550 Blackbox Edition (it’s a kick ass processor L3 cache FTW) and upgraded to 5.5 GB of Ram (Yes I know the 512mb of Ram is retarded).

Anyways I’ve been shit out if luck with my Windows Vista 64bit. It keeps crashing and corrupts my videos I make. It’s annoying as all hell. [/quote]Perhaps this unusual amount of memory is the culprit. Data corruption is often a sign for RAM issues. I would try 2x2GB and see if things improve.
Also you should run memtestfor 24 hrs in order to see if there is a problem with your RAM.

Michael

Or you could install Windows 7 ultimate and a vm xp 32 bit.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

This is what I’ve decided to do. I’m going to use XP 32bit for my main operating system.

Then when Windows 7 comes out, I’m going to buy Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Which I will use for my gaming and photo editing.

I just need a stable OS that I can edit my Youtube videos on, Check my Email, browse the web, sound editing, use my Zune, and most importantly run Windows Programs on :D.

Windows 7 is mighty fine, I beta tested and used it as my default for quite a while. The only problem I had was getting use to the new interface. While I like the fact that Microsoft is chaining it up… the new interface annoys me to all hell.

Once again thanks for the responses, I almost forgot Windows 7 was coming out this soon!

[QUOTE=UTR;2449877]I say go with what works for you. I have decided to go with 32 bit Windows 7 to avoid driver and older software issues. As a side note, that CPU you have can probably unlock all four cores if your mother supports ACC. Nothing like getting a quad core for the price of a dual core. It might make losing that 1.5 gig of RAM easier to take. ;)[/QUOTE]

I’ve tried that, I nearly went nuts when I found out I have one of the very few that you can’t unlock the other cores.

I’m most likely going to get a x4 soon. :smiley: Gotta have that quad lol.

[QUOTE=Id33k;2450303]Thanks for all the responses guys.

This is what I’ve decided to do. I’m going to use XP 32bit for my main operating system.

Then when Windows 7 comes out, I’m going to buy Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Which I will use for my gaming and photo editing.

I just need a stable OS that I can edit my Youtube videos on, Check my Email, browse the web, sound editing, use my Zune, and most importantly run Windows Programs on :D.

Windows 7 is mighty fine, I beta tested and used it as my default for quite a while. The only problem I had was getting use to the new interface. While I like the fact that Microsoft is chaining it up… the new interface annoys me to all hell.

Once again thanks for the responses, I almost forgot Windows 7 was coming out this soon![/QUOTE]

Here’s what I don’t get for what you doing XP would work just fine since your not like getting the new toys everytime it comes out. I have XP pro SP3 with latest updates and it’s fine. I have Phenom II x940 quad with 4G showing 3.5G Ram and it works fine with XP. What your doing you don’t really need Win7. You sound editing if separate program won’t care what O/S you run. All that your doing XP will handle. But if you want to be the first to get the O/S and as with first O/S be ready for unforseen bugs that will accompany first time users of the O/S even if it final release you should wait the real world users and reviews come out first after dealing with those problems to know was it worth it?? I will wait for those wanting to jump into the boat to run into those problem before deciding to get it myself. I have a another computer that I will install Win7 just to test it to see how it goes but for my main no way will I switch over just now. I have to much software setup that works to mess that up and try to fix it.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2450361]Here’s what I don’t get for what you doing XP would work just fine since your not like getting the new toys everytime it comes out. I have XP pro SP3 with latest updates and it’s fine. I have Phenom II x940 quad with 4G showing 3.5G Ram and it works fine with XP. What your doing you don’t really need Win7. You sound editing if separate program won’t care what O/S you run. All that your doing XP will handle. But if you want to be the first to get the O/S and as with first O/S be ready for unforseen bugs that will accompany first time users of the O/S even if it final release you should wait the real world users and reviews come out first after dealing with those problems to know was it worth it?? I will wait for those wanting to jump into the boat to run into those problem before deciding to get it myself. I have a another computer that I will install Win7 just to test it to see how it goes but for my main no way will I switch over just now. I have to much software setup that works to mess that up and try to fix it.[/QUOTE]

I see your point. I honestly don’t need the x64 bit or the extra 1.5 gb of ram.

However I have Photoshop and Premier and they work a tons better on compiling with x64.

As for Windows 7, I really like the OS and a dual boot wont hurt. There is no way in hell it’s going to be my main OS, but full utilization of my memory and Direct x10 is amazing too.

I really don’t want to buy it at launch, but I’ll eventually break down and buy it and Microsoft isn’t the best on dropping prices either.