Should I buy Windows 7 or Use my unopened Vista OS for my new build?

vbimport

I purchased Vista when I thought I would not be able to use XP as I changed to a new Motherboard. My kindly Indian Tech authorized and gave me a new Activation Code for the XP install (lucky me) and I never used the Vista O.S… It is new in the box. I am building a new computer, it is an MSI 870-G45 Mobo, an AMD X4 955 Phenom Quad Core CPU, 4G’s of ram and a Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1T of GPU Ram.

Should I just jump to W7? The update is almost the same price as just buying an OEM Edition of W7. I ran W7 during the beta stages and thought it was great. It ran all the programs I presently own. I hate to have Vista just sitting there but I have heard so much negative. Is it worth even trying Vista? Any suggestions?

I would suggest giving the Vista OS a try. If you do this, be sure to get service packs 1 & 2 installed after installing the OS, assuming they are not already integrated in the CD. At least if it works well for you, then you’re not out of pocket on a new OS. :slight_smile:

The majority of issues I’ve seen with people running Vista were with the original OS and service pack 1 and a handful with service pack 2. Also, despite all the Vista problems I’ve seen over the past few years, there are plenty of people on this forum who swear to have never had any problem (e.g. our reviewer Dee), so it’s quite possible that many of the Vista issues are related to the bundled software/drivers that manufacturers love to pre-load on their computers.

THANK YOU! Thanks for moving the post too. I knowing that Dee using it and with your input, I will give it a try. If it is really bad, I could always do a dual boot later or just can it.

I have yet to buy a hard drive. I am wondering if I should get a 1T or 2, 500g’S. I don’t like to have all my eggs in one basket. I have had good luck with Seagate hard drives, none have ever died on me. Any recommendations on what are good hard drives these days.

This Vista O.S. I have has Service Pack 1 on it, so I guess I will have to download the Service Pack 2. I wonder it it can be download onto a disc and loaded during the initial install?

Vista was never a problem for me. I just got caught up on the new and shiny Win7 when it came out (and there was a deep, deep discount on the upgrade version).

Diane7 likes Vista too, so Dee isn’t the only one around here using it.

Talking with guys who order hard drives by the thousands each year, they say there isn’t any one manufacturer who’s drives are statistically worse than any other. Go with one you’ve had success with in the past, and keep an eye out for bargains. I’ve been using the Samsung 1tb drives lately and have had no issues.

Thanks Kerry, I was wondering about that. The Hybrid drives seem a little too new to trust, though they sound appealing.

I just need a case and power supply ( I imagine a 750Watt should be enough).

750w is[B] way [/B]overkill, unless you are planning on running two high powered video cards simultaneously. Get a good 450w psu from Seasonic or Corsair.

I was wondering about that. I had a 600Watt on my old computer and it was never a problem till a voltage surge finally killed it, (it was on a power surge strip but I had about 30 flickers in 2 seconds). I found a NEW 750 Watt PSU at the transfer station that works perfectly. Someone must have tried to fix a machine but it had other problems and they through the whole thing away. It has been running flawlessly for around 4 weeks now and pretty BLUE LED’s in it. Thanks for the input. That makes more case/power supply options.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2554114]I purchased Vista when I thought I would not be able to use XP as I changed to a new Motherboard. My kindly Indian Tech authorized and gave me a new Activation Code for the XP install (lucky me) and I never used the Vista O.S… It is new in the box. I am building a new computer, it is an MSI 870-G45 Mobo, an AMD X4 955 Phenom Quad Core CPU, 4G’s of ram and a Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1T of GPU Ram.

Should I just jump to W7? The update is almost the same price as just buying an OEM Edition of W7. I ran W7 during the beta stages and thought it was great. It ran all the programs I presently own. I hate to have Vista just sitting there but I have heard so much negative. Is it worth even trying Vista? Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Vista was a hit and miss for some so your running the 50/50 but I for one if you can get Win7x64 Ult go for that version of the O/S. And for PS I got a Antec 750W that can run 4 SLI setup but I only use one GPU right now. But it doesn’t hurt to have more power when you need it and if there is alot of power draw your PS will still remain efficient and not run how trying to meet the power demand. But as with anything the end purchase and your decision is up to you and what you want out of your system. Just remember W7 doesn’t like XP programs unless you run them in compatiblity mode or install them in xp compatibility setting. I done it on a old Dell laptop and used the XP drivers as it didn’t have W7 drivers and it took and worked fine for the Wifi card driver. But it will be trial and error for your system.

I ran Adobe CS3, Rhino3d 4.0, and all the flight simulator programs I had in W764 and had no problem during the beta phase. I would like to get W7 but like most people I know, I am short of cash. I will probably use Vista and migrate using a dual boot set up to W7 in the future. My present computer works fine, so I will be able to work out the bugs on the new one, even if it means searching using the old machine for fixes for the new machine. It looks like I need around $200 bucks to wrap it up. Getting close!!

There is nothing wrong with Vista. Vista got a bad rap because hardware and software developers were slow to get drivers and software updates out. IMO Vista is a solid OS that got better with each service pack. Vista likes high powered systems with lots of memory. My last rig, a Q6600@ 3Ghz with 8 gigs of memory felt faster running Vista Ultimate 64 bit than it did running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Windows 7 boots faster because it does not load commonly used programs on startup as aggressively as Vista does. Windows 7 is really nothing more than Vista stripped to the bone with a few tweaks and added tricks. The only really good reasons for using Windows 7 over Vista is native trim support for SSD’s and it runs better on low end hardware. How well will Vista will run with 4 gigs of memory? You don’t say if you are going to run a 32 bit or 64 bit OS. If your going to run 32 bit 4 gigs is the limit. If you are going to run 64 bit 4 gigs will be a little light for Vista but it should run fine as long as you keep it lean. If I did not have an SSD I would most likely still be running Vista.

Bill

I’m running a dual boot of Vista Ultimate 64bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and I use the
Vista OS about 75% of the time nothing wrong with Vista. Yeah maybe Windows 7 starts up
a few seconds faster but it is all about the same to me as I like both OS’s pretty much equally
so I guess it all comes down to personal preference as to which one a person wants to run.

Now when and if I ever go with a SSD drive then it will be Windows 7 all the way to get the Trim
support as I don’t think Vista supports Trim but I might be wrong about that though as I’ve had
no reason to check into it yet as I don’t have an SSD. :sad:

Use your vista (if it’s x64), otherwise … up to you.

Win7 has a few minor improvements, like the improved system backup/restore, and SSD Trim support, as mentioned above, and a little more eye-candy.

Generally, you won’t notice much difference between either.

Stay with Vista and use the money for better things. If you had XP, I would recommend going to Win 7, but Vista should be fine for your purposes. You have already spent the money, you might as well get value for it. I had installed Vista on a desktop plus two laptops and never had any driver issues -0 with SP1 and SP2, any problems were fully resolved.

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2554263]I had installed Vista on a desktop plus two laptops and never had any driver issues -0 with SP1 and SP2, any problems were fully resolved.[/QUOTE]

That’s alot of wishful thinking considering this is M$ were talking about. :Z I can say the same thing about Win7x64 with all the updates the problems are resolved, Right? Actually Vista has itself to blame rather then just blame other hardware and software developers, it’s a two way street.

[QUOTE=debro;2554257]Use your vista (if it’s x64), otherwise … up to you.

Win7 has a few minor improvements, like the improved system backup/restore, and SSD Trim support, as mentioned above, and a little more eye-candy.

Generally, you won’t notice much difference between either.[/QUOTE]

There are probably more updates and fixes that we the users don’t see so unless one is deep in the software development that is a judgment call not a true in-depth programmers review.

[QUOTE=wonderwrench;2554187]There is nothing wrong with Vista. Vista got a bad rap because hardware and software developers were slow to get drivers and software updates out. IMO Vista is a solid OS that got better with each service pack. Vista likes high powered systems with lots of memory. My last rig, a Q6600@ 3Ghz with 8 gigs of memory felt faster running Vista Ultimate 64 bit than it did running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Windows 7 boots faster because it does not load commonly used programs on startup as aggressively as Vista does. Windows 7 is really nothing more than Vista stripped to the bone with a few tweaks and added tricks. The only really good reasons for using Windows 7 over Vista is native trim support for SSD’s and it runs better on low end hardware. How well will Vista will run with 4 gigs of memory? You don’t say if you are going to run a 32 bit or 64 bit OS. If your going to run 32 bit 4 gigs is the limit. If you are going to run 64 bit 4 gigs will be a little light for Vista but it should run fine as long as you keep it lean. If I did not have an SSD I would most likely still be running Vista.

Bill[/QUOTE]

I for one use currently Win7x64 since moving from XP pro sp3 and don’t experience problem since the switch but I do have 4G of ram and might go to 8G if the cost isn’t to much. Not only does it run low end hardware but does it better cause it has more support for it now. That is a no brainer which for the majority is a plus but with a minus of the cost of the O/S but in the end it works better if one can’t afford a totally new system but with W7 they can breath new life into a system that wouldn’t go Vista. That is the real true value of a O/S. Yes, I am W7 loving fan so some extent but it ends there-they from time to time make or buy software that works well for them but that is the business world. I use a good O/S because I ran the W7 when it first came out to test how really good it was and well it ran better then my XP and since that time haven’t looked back. Plus it install well on older laptop that were previously couldn’t install vista now W7 will install on them and has better power management which comes as a big plus for laptop when you can’t find a plug to plug-in. In this instance M$ has actually made something worth the money they are asking for. Which comes as a big surprise that they would even make a decent software that works and does a good job at it.

I am a pretty big fan of Win 7 right now myself.I have it on 6 of my 10 computers.

I had a Vista laying around that I had not used either, loaded it up this weekend and had no trouble getting all the drivers and everything to work so far.

It is Vista Home 64bit on a Quad 4 with 8Gig ram and like I said running good so far.

I 'm still using Vista HP service pack 2 & have done quite a bit of tweaking so it does OK.
I howevr beleive it still does what I posted here & don’t know of a tweak to stop this process.
http://club.myce.com/f34/just-how-bloated-vista-install-312779/#post2523438

If anyone knows was this eliminated in Windows 7 ?
If it was then my vote would be for Windows 7 even if I haven’t tried it yet.

Let me see I have it on my desktop right now 7x64 and one laptop 7x64 and 7x86 and pretty soon a third laptop will be w7 but I do know on my brothers’ D600 dell it work quite well with w7x86 being as old as it is a laptop with 1.5G Ram runs very good and that is a old old laptop. So for me my money is for W7 Ult in either x64 or x86 as there are older hardware out that by their nature is x86 architecture and you won’t be able to install x64 on them I know I tried that already. :doh:

For curiosity, I downloaded Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit with service pack 2 and the same without any service pack from Technet (I’ve a subscription.) I created two virtual PCs, both with 1GB of RAM and installed the edition without any service pack in one Virtual PC and the version with service pack 2 in the other.

The Virtual PC with Vista service pack 2 took about 15 minutes to install the OS and about an hour to download and install all the patches up to date, with about half this time just downloading the patches (I’ve a 3Mb connection.)

With the other virtual PC, it also took about 15 minutes to install the OS. It then took at least 4 hours to download and install service pack 1 & 2 as well as all the patches up to date. With this installation, most of the was spent between installing service pack 1 & 2.

Despite both Virtual PCs set up the same way apart from the OS, the Vista OS that was installed starting without a service pack felt a lot more sluggish and seemed to spend a lot of time thrashing the hard disk, even after installing service pack 2. Booting up and shutting down also takes longer than the other installation.

Here’s the RAM and HDD usage of both installations. For the RAM/PF usage, the OS was booted and left idle at the desktop for a few minutes before taking the readings:

Windows Vista Home Premium with Service pack 2 installed - Then patches applied up to date, including IE8:

[ul]
[li]Memory usage - 320MB[/li][li]Page file usage - 419MB[/li][li]Disk space usage - 14.4GB[/li][/ul]

Windows Vista Home Premium installed - Then applied service packs 1 & 2 and all patches up to date, including IE8:

[ul]
[li]Memory usage - 381MB[/li][li]Page file usage - 403MB[/li][li]Disk space usage - 30.8GB[/li][/ul]

These values will likely be different for Vista 64-bit. Also, these are obviously under ideal conditions, since I haven’t installed any additional drivers, software or Antivirus package, so these figures are purely from OS usage.

So for less RAM usage, a much less bloated OS installation (based on HDD usage) and a better performing OS, I would highly recommend slipstreaming Service Pack 2 into the Vista OS installation before installing Windows Vista. This will also save a few hours installing service packs 1 & 2. :slight_smile: