Should I buy one now (in wich case what) or should I wait?

vbimport

Hi all new member here :slight_smile:

So I would like to now if it´s a good time to buy a DVD burner now or is the next generation just around the corner?

I´ve also heard some rumors about that some of todays singlelayer burners could burn tomorrows dublelayer discs is there any thruth to that? There was some talk about a firmwire upgrade or something

If this is a good time to buy wich burner gives the most bang for the buck?

I think realistically we will see few if any dual layer upgrades for existing hardware - not least for commercial reasons. It seems more likely now that dual layer will almost certainly be done using new chipsets optimised for dual layer use…

My understanding is that Philips have announced a forthcoming dual layer chipset for dual layer DVD+R. Meanwhile, it seems that the consensus is that nothing apart from 8x DVD writers are likely to have the necessary laser power for dual layer writing. There is still debate as to whether the 106 drive Pioneer used in a public dual layer writing demonstration (on test media) had hardware modifications or not - and even if it didn’t, the chances of an already discontinued drive getting a dual layer firmware might well be remote.

I think the reality of the situation is that there will be dual layer products emerging later this year. Dual layer DVD+R seems as if it will be here first - probably in about three months’ time, though that could slip. I believe the first products are likely to write the first layer at 8x and the second at 2.4x. It might well be that you have to write equal amounts on both layers, so a dual layer write will be significantly slower than two single layer discs on modern hardware.

Dual layer DVD-R seems a little more distant.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the first dual layer products are fairly rapidly eclipsed by later generations, and the first dual layer media is likely to be very expensive. Whilst I have some sympathy with the idea of holding on if you have no particular rush to buy now in the hope that the first dual layer writers will be just as good as the current single layer writers and not have that much of a price premium over them, the truth is that dual layer writing is likely to be slow, require expensive media, and might go through several generations fairly quickly.

I was considering holding on, but eventually realised that a good single layer writer isn’t that expensive now - and as I could do with DVD writing capabilities now, I could always upgrade drive again in another year when the dual layer products are more mature and media costs are likely to be lower. I’m not really interested in writing DVD video anyway - my requirements are for data discs, and >4GB is a huge step up from 700MB on CD-R.

So, I bought a NEC ND-2500A, which I’m very happy with. It’s a huge improvement over the CD-RW I had before, and cost me 88 pounds in the UK (the price is even lower now, I believe).

David

Thanks for the great answear :slight_smile:
So I guess this is as a good time as any to buy one. I´ll look into the range of produkts and prices here in Finland and try to find out wich is the most sutable for me.

What interesting is this statement: "System makers can download the firmware to upgrade existing DVD+RW chips from supporting 4.7GB to 8.5GB. "

Whole article from Digitimes:

Both Netherlands-based Philips Semiconductors and Taiwan-based MediaTek expect to begin offering solutions for dual-layer DVD+R technology in the second quarter of this year at the earliest, according to sources.

Philips expects to begin offering downloadable firmware that supports dual-layer DVD+R technology to system makers in the second quarter, said Marconi Jiang, general manager of sales at Philips Semiconductors in Taiwan.

System makers can download the firmware to upgrade existing DVD+RW chips from supporting 4.7GB to 8.5GB. Taiwan driver vendors including BenQ have already committed to the technology for 8x DVD systems, said Jiang.

Philips dubs the dual-layer DVD+R technology DVD+RW 9. The technology is said to double the data storage capacity on DVD recordable discs from 4.7GB to 8.5GB and remains compatible with existing DVD video players and DVD drives, according to an October 3 press statement from Philips.

MediaTek is offering a new chip supporting dual-layer DVD+R to its system customers. Lite-On IT expects to begin mass production of recorders that support the technology in the second quarter, according to sources. MediaTek does not expect any intellectual property problems, according to Ming-kai Tsai, chairman of MediaTek.

Philips Research – a part of Royal Philips Electronics – co-developed dual-layer DVD+R technology with Japan’s Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (MKM), an affiliate of Japan’s largest chemical company, Mitsubishi Chemical.

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2004/02/19&pages=A5&seq=22