Should I buy dv or dvd camcorder?

:confused: I am in the market for a camcorder and am not sure whether I should get a mini dv or mini dvd. I find that home movies are boring and mostly don’t get watched, so the primary purpose will be some adult stuff that I will also want to heavily edit. I was thinking it would be easier to use dvds and put the pieces from each that we like together, then burn onto a new one. Is this right? Read in threads that dvd camcorders needed to mature some, (10/06) have they done this, or is dv preferable? Not looking for professional quality, but not too choppy or time consuming.

It really depends on what you want to do.

With mini dv you will have better quality at the final result. You will need to edit and author your video DVDs. It is more time consuming though.

With mini dvd, you already have the video in DVD format (MPEG-2). This way, if you want simple editing (ie cut scenes, make chapters) the process is simpler and quicker. But if you want heavy editing, the material will be re-encoded and you cannot avoid some loss in quality. If this will be noticeable depends on many factors, such as where you’ll view the final DVD and in what quality/bitrate the initial recording was made.

So, it really depends on your needs: simple editing = mini-dvd, more advanced editing with better quality = mini dv.

Oh, and welcome to CDFreaks :wink:

Moved the thread to the Camorder forum. :slight_smile:

" If this will be noticeable depends on many factors, such as where you’ll view the final DVD and in what quality/bitrate the initial recording was made."

I was wondering what the main difference the quality would be? We would be watching on our 7 year old 25" analog t.v. or the 5 year old 19’’ monitor. I can watch video tapes from the 80’s and barely notice the quality after 10 minutes! But I would also like to combine pieces of several movies into one movie, can this be done with both, which is simpler? I’m not trying to start a website, or have a second job doing this!

“So, it really depends on your needs: simple editing = mini-dvd, more advanced editing with better quality = mini dv.”

Also, does this mean I can’t do advanced editing, or it would just look bad? Can mini dv’s be recorded over multiple times or do they start looking really bad after a couple times like a vhs? I want to be economical as well. I was thinking dvd-rw’s would be cheaper to use for the raw images, then once I got what I wanted I could just reuse them.

“Oh, and welcome to CDFreaks”

Thank you!!:eek:

[QUOTE=annag;2239833]I was wondering what the main difference the quality would be? We would be watching on our 7 year old 25" analog t.v. or the 5 year old 19’’ monitor. I can watch video tapes from the 80’s and barely notice the quality after 10 minutes![/QUOTE]

In my opinion, in such cases you should be better think of how these DVDs will look after few years. In the equipment you say, especially on any analogue TV, you probably won’t notice any difference at all. But what about high resolution LCDs? I’m not sure…

But I would also like to combine pieces of several movies into one movie, can this be done with both, which is simpler?

With both. More or less the same…

“So, it really depends on your needs: simple editing = mini-dvd, more advanced editing with better quality = mini dv.”

Also, does this mean I can’t do advanced editing, or it would just look bad? Can mini dv’s be recorded over multiple times or do they start looking really bad after a couple times like a vhs? I want to be economical as well. I was thinking dvd-rw’s would be cheaper to use for the raw images, then once I got what I wanted I could just reuse them.

Both ways you can do any editing you want. But with mini DV the quality in most cases will be better. But it won’t be worse in any case!

When I said about simple or advanced editing, I was refering to the outcome of the final DVDs. Whatever camcorder you choose, you can edit as much as you want. Also, in any case, you can use the same program. So, the whole procedure will not be so different. But I think that the mini DV way is giving you more potential, if you want to do some more “advanced” editing.

The main difference between the two solutions is this. Mini-DV records digital video with less compression than mini-DVDs. The later record at MPEG-2, and if you don’t record at a quite high bitrate / quality, you already lose some info. If you are going to re-encode the whole stuff, then you lose some more.

To keep it simple, if you want to edit in your PC, mini DV is a more safe bet, quality wise. This is just my opinion of course…

You can also have a look at videohelp and digitalfaq, for some more info…

Thank you so much for all your help. My experience lies in picture editing, and cake decorating! This video stuff is brand new. You have cleared it up a bit! I will take your advice and check out those other places as well.

You’re welcome!

My experience lies in picture editing, and cake decorating!

Much more interesting and appreciated, especially the latter! :bigsmile:

This video stuff is brand new. You have cleared it up a bit! I will take your advice and check out those other places as well.

You can also check this thread, somebody poses the same question as you ;). Also this may be helpfull, along with the other two already mentioned.

I guess if you get a better idea of what this is all about, you can make an opinion of your own :wink:

Thanks again, I am going to check these out as well, right now. I do love to form my own opinions, it comes with the ability to grow life in my womb!

I have decided to go with a dv. Even though I really don’t need that great of quality for what I am doing right now, my husband skateboards and sings in a band, so we should try for better quality, since I sure I’ll wind up recording that as well! Thanks again for all your help. I have really learned a lot.

I would do the same as you :wink: Mainly because when you’re dealing with stuff you cannot find again, you go with the best you can right now!

I’m glad I helped.
Greetings from Greece, and happy recordings :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=annag;2239757]:confused: I am in the market for a camcorder and am not sure whether I should get a mini dv or mini dvd. I find that home movies are boring and mostly don’t get watched, so the primary purpose will be some adult stuff that I will also want to heavily edit. I was thinking it would be easier to use dvds and put the pieces from each that we like together, then burn onto a new one. Is this right? Read in threads that dvd camcorders needed to mature some, (10/06) have they done this, or is dv preferable? Not looking for professional quality, but not too choppy or time consuming.[/QUOTE]

MiniDV is better for editing and cutting. Also, MiniDV blows the others away for picture quality.