Should I buy a netbook with a SSD or with an HDD drive?

vbimport

I just posted the article Should I buy a netbook with a SSD or with an HDD drive?.

[quote][/quote]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/hard-disk-drives/faq/uld-i-buy-a-netbook-with-a-ssd-or-with-an-hdd-drive-24908/](http://www.myce.com/hard-disk-drives/faq/uld-i-buy-a-netbook-with-a-ssd-or-with-an-hdd-drive-24908/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I would suggest buying one equipped with a HDD and then adding SSD. My Acer is kind of a PITA with the soldered in Memory and then a small expansion card: You can’t plug in a SATA drive. :doh:

I would say at this point in time go with a HDD as SSD is expensive right now for larger drives and plus for the money you spend you get more space with HDD. Then wait til SSD comes down in prices and increase capacity then at that point in time determine how large of SSD you want. HDD isn’t going to go away anytime soon. If you into having the newest technology then go for it but remember you will spend alot to for smaller space. Now if you going netbook that will be a different story all together then a SSD drive might be more of the way to go. Also being fragile so are SSD to electrical discharges or static damage so it in itself is a con. And as with anything should be noted not is forever HDD or SSD-you will have to over time move those data to another HDD or SSD to save or preserve that data.

Buy one with an HDD, then add an SSD of your choice.
If your willing to pay for it, you’ll get a 250GB SSD, although a 30GB may be all you need for a netbook, which [B]IS[/B] far more robust than any HDD, SSD are housed in a metal case to prevent damage from electrical discharges. Any electrical discharge capable of damaging an SSD would have long since fried the rest of the components in a netbook. And unlike an HDD, an SSD will easily withstand you dropping the netbook while its running.

[QUOTE=Dee;2486128]Buy one with an HDD, then add an SSD of your choice.
If your willing to pay for it, you’ll get a 250GB SSD, although a 30GB may be all you need for a netbook, which [B]IS[/B] far more robust than any HDD, SSD are housed in a metal case to prevent damage from electrical discharges. Any electrical discharge capable of damaging an SSD would have long since fried the rest of the components in a netbook. And unlike an HDD, an SSD will easily withstand you dropping the netbook while its running.[/QUOTE]

Nice post & analysis.

And straying a bit OT: people shouldn’t base their decision too much on capacity. 30-40GB is more than what you need to run OS, and it’s better to keep your boot/OS and storage drives separate. Even for notebooks, unless you are using it as a DVR/Media center, or your line of work requires it, HDD space is an overrated aspect. I would prefer a 30GB SSD over a 250GB HDD, especially for a netbook.

Be sure to do research if you’re looking for a netbook that supposedly comes with an SSD. From many reviews I’ve read, many customers have been misled or disappointed. They actually got an SDHC card soldered onto the motherboard, which performs quite differently from an actual SSD.