Should I buy a Blu-Ray player..?

:rolleyes:hi everyeryone. i am a newbie. could someone please tell me if it would be a wastes of money to buy a blu ray player, when i have a sony 720p/1080i tv?

Moved to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD Hardware forum.

[QUOTE=douche1;2024656]:rolleyes:hi everyeryone. i am a newbie. could someone please tell me if it would be a wastes of money to buy a blu ray player, when i have a sony 720p/1080i tv?[/QUOTE]

Hi Douche1 welcome to CD freaks

Owning a HDTV is nice and watching the new High def TV channels on cable or free to air is also nice, but do you own a DVD collection or do you rent DVDs from agencies ?

Just now there are not many titles available on Blu-ray so you will probably not get a lot of value from your expensive Blu-ray player.

the best option is to get an upscaling DVD player as they are a lot cheaper to obtain and give a better quality picture than a standard DVD player on your TV.

To get the best out of Blu-ray players you may need to buy a better HDTV, one which can do 1080p quality, but I suggest you wait for a year or two for that.

Unless you are a gamer and want a PS3 then at this point I would say that I would definitely wait. Blu-Ray is finalizing specs right now and there are some major updates due out sometime between the summer and the end of the year. Furthermore prices are at a premium right now since HD-DVD has bowed out. It’s a win-win situation if you wait. Cheaper hardware and software (not to mention a bigger selection). I would hold out at least until the Holiday season.