Should I buy 716-A now?

vbimport

is this the right time to buy 716-a?
what tla and firmware are selling now? :stuck_out_tongue:

is this the right time to buy 716-a?
what tla and firmware are selling now?

Read all the postings here regarding the 716A drive…SEARCH button is your friend! :stuck_out_tongue: :rolleyes:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARD

The Plextor PX-716A TLA#0202 is performing well here. It could benefit from some firmware tweaking (better media support) but if you use recommended media then you won’t have much problems. Unsupported media seems to work fine but you may waste the first couple of discs before the drive’s AutoStrategy function has figured out a proper write strategy. This is my general experience with the drive after playing with it for about a week. I hope to have the complete review up this week but work is keeping me very busy at the moment…

I think with time it will be the amazing drive it was supposed to be. If you are willing to wait a while to realize the drive’s full potential, then go ahead and buy it now. If you are concerned with the tweaks that still need to be made and are unwilling to shell out the extra dollars for the Plextor name, go ahead and buy a Benq 1620A, NEC 3500A or NEC 3520A. These drives are cheaper and feature outstanding write quality.

IN US from where can I buy the NEC 3520A drive?

I don’t think you can right now.

By the time Plextor can put this drive to do what she’s supposed to do there’ll be other burners on the market maybt doing Dl - R 8x or 12x, so it’s just a question of timming. :iagree:

You’re right. I hope they get it together soon. I couldn’t resist PC Connection’s price and ordered one.

Hi ! I ordered one from pcconnection. But , as I understood (from telephone conversation) they don’t have it on stock and I afraid will not have it before 31-DEC-2004. Are rebates can be a problem in this case?
Roman.

If it takes that long I’ll cancel my order or refuse delivery.

I couldn’t resist the deal I found on PC-Connection either. I ordered one the other night along with the free 50 pack of DVD-Rs! All for only $69.99 after the $120 in mail in rebates, amazing!

Yes, the drives are out of stock, but they are supposed to receive another big shipment on 12/29. The $50 PC-Connection rebate is valid until 1/15/05 and the Plextor $30 rebate is good until 1/31/05. I think we will be okay. I emailed customer PC-Connection customer service and asked them what would happen if we received our drives after the rebate postmark deadline.

I am still waiting for a response, should likely hear from them on Monday. I don’t think it will be a problem, because I imagine they want to keep customers happy. I’ll let you all know what I find out!

My friend bought this plextor 716. and it was trouble. :a the backups he made were of poor quality. he returned it.
cheap price does not mean good drive. :wink:

The first two Plexter 716’s I bought from Bestbuy were trouble too, but now with TLA#0202, the drive seems to be realizing its potential. One or two more firmware revisions and it will be top dawg again. I bought a BENQ 1620A as well though, because it is an oustanding drive. I plan to have both to do simultaneous burns. Very nice.

The rebate forms have to be postmarked by 1/15/05 and 1/31/05. The purchase date has to be on or before 12/31/04. I also emailed PC Connections and told them I didn’t want the drive if it were going to be delayed past the end of the year. No asnwer yet, but it is Christmas.

There were problems with the first version of this drive. I’m hoping that the later revisions are OK. From the posts on this forum, they seem to be. Besides, you can always send them back.