Should DVd Shrink take this long to backup my DVD's?

vbimport

Hi,

I’m quite new to the game of backing up my DVD’s, so have a few questions about whether or not what I’m experiencing is expected, but first here are a few details of my setup :-

• My master drive is a 16 speed DVD-ROM, Lite-On Model Nbr SOHD-167T-02C
  • My slave drive is a 16 speed Pioneer DVR-108 Dual Layer DVD burner.
  • Both these drives were purchased and installed within the last few weeks so they are up to date models.
  • Both drives are set to “DMA if available”
  • I’m using the latest DVD Shrink software along with the latest Nero 6 software. Both these are installed with the default options.

What I do is this :-

1 - Put my original DVD into my DVD-ROM drive and put my blank DVD-R (8 speed datawrite classic) into my DVD burner drive.
2 - I then open up DVD Shrink and click on “open disc” and select the DVD-ROM drive.
3 - It goes through a process of analysing which takes approx 2 to 3 minutes for a typical 2 and a bit hour movie.
4 - When this has completed, I select re-author and choose the main feature and associated audio files.
5 - I then press Backup and select the “burn using nero option” and choose a folder on my hard drive for temporary files.

What happens now is that it goes through a process of encoding the movie but this takes ages. The dialog box that appears shows the following typical details :-

Rate :- Anywhere between 1,200 KB/s and 1,800 KB/s
Buffered :- Anywhere between 1Mb and 80Mb

The length of time to complete this encoding process takes approx 60 to 75 mins for the same typical 2 and a bit hour movie. Once the encoding process has completed, DVd Shrink then uses Nero automatically to burn and this only takes about 7 to 10 mins which is fine. But I don’t know why the encoding part takes so long.

Having spoken to people in my work, they say it shouldn’t take that long and they don’t understand from what I’ve told them why it takes so long. Which is why I’m posting this message.

Q1 - Is there anything obvious from what I’ve said that would explain the length of time taken to complete the encode process.
Q2 - I’ve heard about rip speed lock and that its usually set at 2 speed. Is this correct and how do you go about removing this rip speed lock ?
Q3 - I’ve also heard about edited firmware. If this was the answer, then I’ assuming that I need it for my Lite-On DVD-ROm drive and not my Pioneer DVD Burner. Where could I find edited firmware for this drive ?

Any assistance at all is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hey gavman…
Check on the Pioneer and Liteon forums here on this site.

Mark

what are your computer specs?
the specs have alot to do with your encoding time

riplock will only affect the speed at which the files are ripped from the original dvd [ in your case from the liteon dvd rom ].
different movies take different amounts of time to transcode - depends on the original state of the video files on the dvd and what you choose to remove in re-author mode, and also the transcoding method eg., sharp etc.

as above, the system specs play a VERY large role in transcoding time.
see links in my sig for more info

Does the main feature have to be further compressed? If so this adds to the transcoding time.

Encoding always takes time. I make VCD’s in my spare time since I can get CD-R’s really cheap, and even doing that takes ~4-5hrs per movie.

If you want to quickly copy movies, then use something like DVD X Copy or CloneDVD.
DVDShrink was written with the assumption that every DVD you want to backup with it you also want to shrink by reencoding.
Any single-layer DVD (“DVD-5”) should be quick and easy to copy with DVD X Copy. Use DVDShrink only when you need to, such as on dual-layer DVD’s (“DVD-9”) or to fit more than one movie on a DVD±R/RW.

First thing I noticed: Your DVD-Rom drive is set to Master and your DVD-Burner is set to Slave? Why wouldn’t you want the DVD-Burner as the Master drive? Anytime you install a burner I’d make sure it’s a Master drive - of course if you have two DVD Burners in the computer then that makes it not matter quite as much. Then I’d put your favorite burner on as Master and the one that is more of a reader on as the slave.

Just make sure when you swap the jumpers around that you do both drives in reverse order - do not use Cable Select - just do a straight jump. You might notice a difference after that or maybe not. And as the other folks have said - computer speed really plays a part in encoding time for any program. I know when I jumped from an Athlon XP 1800+ on a KT133 motherboard to my current system I noticed a huge decrease in encoding times for various programs.

@NRen2k5 - I’m sorry but I’d never recommend DVDXCopy to anyone. The banner is annoying enough and with DVDShrink/DVDDecrypter being a free combination or most people already having Nero of some sort the extra time spent doing the encoding is worth it. Plus CloneDVD2 will blow either of those two out of the water when it comes to burning times but that is just my opinion.

Yo-

I use AnyDVD and InterVideo DVD Copy and my burns are 20 to 40 minutes - depending on the size of the original movie - this combo is also “One Click” and I get very good burns using Ritek 8x -R media-

BTW - my Aopen 1648/aap is set to “Master” and my NEC 3500 is set to “Slave”

Mike

This may work-it increased by times. Make sure the DMA for your drives is selected

i dont think there is anything wrong with your setup, since you are not ripping the movie to the hard drive. i sounds like you have the “compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation” check box checked in quality settings which will significantly slow down encoding times, especially if it is a higher rate of compression. but if left unchecked, it will be quicker but quality will suffer.

Just a thought to see if ripping speed has anything to do with it. Try doing it all from the pioneer burner. It will ask you to swap to the blank disk when it is ready for it.
That seems like a really long time for encoding.
Beyond that I think that everybody has already touched on the most obvious things. You could try ripping it with smart ripper and then use nero (if you have a new enough version) for the entire process. Rip in the files mode with all files selected, then just treat the folder it rips to like the dvd. I have found that ripping it and then encoding it off the hard drive is a little faster (with nero for encoding anyway) though I am usally to lasy to take the extra step. Also, I use nero which has similarities to dvdshrink (someone corect me if I am wrong but the original author of dvdshrink now works for nero). You say that you are copying a 2hr+ movie. If it has very many extras, that could be part of why it takes so long. The more content there is and the more compression that must be used, the longer it takes. On my computer a movie that requires no compression encodes within about 5 minutes where a very large disk can take as long as 25-30 minutes (and some movies take somewhere inbetween). Having originally started burning dvd’s on a slower computer, I can say that you can easilly double those times or more just because you computer is slower. Encoding really uses the power of your system.
One other thing, what is the condition of the disks that you are trying to copy? If the disk is scratched or damaged, it can increase the rip time as the drive will slow down to try to read it. I cannot remember what softwares I used because it was a while ago but I actually had a disk take the beter part of a day trying to read past errors. I gave up on ever trying that kind of thing again.