Shorten video file

I know there is an answer and I need help with this.

I need to take a video file that is like 30 minutes long. Take about a 1 minute clip out and save it as a video file. I was recommended to MyDVD 9 by Roxio, but then I have read some bad reviews on it. Is there a software that can do this for me.
I know how to take video files, splice them and make DVDs, but now I just want to make some video files smaller.

I have over 50 hours of home videos and I want to make a highlight real of funny, heart wrenching, beautiful, Great, moments. I have all of the recordings on big 30-45 minute video files, but I want to be able to just take parts out of it and save them as video files until I make the finished product without having to have 50 hours of video on my computer.

any help will be greatly appriciated. I want to work on this on my lab top in my off time while I am on deployment to Iraq. I need to get this project ready because I leave in a month.
thank you.

[QUOTE=Pureeagles;1921210]I know there is an answer and I need help with this.

I have over 50 hours of home videos and I want to make a highlight real of funny, heart wrenching, beautiful, Great, moments. I have all of the recordings on big 30-45 minute video files, but I want to be able to just take parts out of it and save them as video files until I make the finished product without having to have 50 hours of video on my computer.[/quote]

Then i’d suggest Nero Vision. It is included in Nero 8. You can download the Nero Vision manual at ftp://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero8/vision/NeroVision_Enu.zip. You can use about any file format in that tool and make a nice DVD Video of your pictures, sounds and videos.

It will take a whole lot of time though, since you can edit, recode and modify a whole lot.

I haven´t tried the Nero option…I´m sure it will work just fine, and may be easier than what I generally use:

Which is Adobe Premiere Elements…it´s a bit of work however, and a big learning curve.
Remember that the editing process will produce a pile of data…filling up lots of space. You may need to take an external hard-drive with you.

If they are DVD files get Mpeg Video Wizard DVD, for AVI or DVD files TMPGEnc Xpress will do the job nicely.
There is also DVD Shrink (free) which in Reauthor mode will cut clips from a DVD file.

I will try some of these thing.
I’m trying to take a windows video file, edit/trim it down and save it as another (smaller) windows video file.

[QUOTE=Pureeagles;1921411]I will try some of these thing.
I’m trying to take a windows video file, edit/trim it down and save it as another (smaller) windows video file.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps then the free Windows Movie Maker 2 is more than sufficient.

The Windows Movie Maker 2 sounds like a great easy idea, but when I look it up it looks like it is for Windows XP, do they make one for Windows Vista?

Yes. It’s even standard in Vista!

thank you, I did a practice video on this, and it worked. It did what I wanted.
You made my day. THANK YOU!

You’re welcome. Now go kill the fanatics! :slight_smile: