Shogun backup dvds won't play

I posted this in another forum but I think that this is the better place for the question. Just feeling my way through the forums here as well as being new to this whole process of backing up discs.

I backed up all four of my Shogun (The miniseries) dvd’s. I used a couple of different methods, dvdshrink as well as ANYDVD and CloneDVD2 and ANYDVD and Discshrink. I also split one of the discs into two parts and doing just the movie with no compresssion. I am using a Plextor PX-740 UF (USB) burner.

Any of the full copys I put in the DVD don’t run, my DVD Player thrashes and then gives me a “disc cannot be played on this machine” message (RCA DVD Player about 4 years old). The first disc I split breaks up as soon as it starts and then goes into a green screen and does nothing, the second one gives me the same message as the other full ones.

All the discs play in my computer burner but I have an older 733Mhz computer maxed out at 256 MB ram that it is too slow to watch anything.

If I disable my Anydvd driver, Clonedvd2 says there is no copy protection, so it has been removed.

I burned these DVDS at 12x on 16X rated discs and the other stuff I have burned seems to work fine.

Anyone have a clue as to what’s wrong?

Try DVD Decrypter (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1011845169/1) See if that works.

this has nothing to do with his problem. he’s already ripped and decrypted the disc just fine.

to the original poster:

what type of media did you burn your discs to? (you already said 16x, but what’s the brand and media id and were they + or -. media ID can be found on the disc info tab of nero cd-dvd speed). poor quality media is a likely culprit for the problems you described.

and what model is your standalone? can it play the discs that you’ve burned the backups to? some older players are tempermental about recordable media.

you might want to check the owner’s manual or the manufacturer’s website.

and lastly, what model is your burner and what firmware is installed on it? depending on the model there might be a trick or two we can try to try to make your discs more compatible with the standalone, but you need to post back all of this information first!

Here is the disk info.
Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc Type: : DVD+R
Book Type : DVD+R
Manufacturer: : Verbatim
MID : MCC 004 (000)
Write speeds: : 2.4 X - 4 X - 8 X - 12 X - 16 X
Blank Capacity : n/a
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Write strategies : n/a
Disc Status : Closed

I checked the treads on Media here and on some other sites and it seems that what I have is good quality based on others opinions and tests.

The Burner is a Plextor PX-740 UF (USB) burner. I just got it two weeks ago and imediately checked and updated the firmware. The present vesion is 1.0E

The DVD player is an old one but it reads other discs I have burned from the main batch. It is just the Shogun discs that I seem to have the problem with.

I did send the full copy and one of the uncompressed split discs of Shogun over to a friends house to check on his player but my wife hasn’t come back yet.

I really appreciate the help.

MCC004 is quality media.

you said you’ve burned these same discs before and they’ve played fine? I was thinking maybe your player wasn’t compatible with +R media and you should look into booktyping, but if you’ve used them before and they’ve worked then that can’t be it.

see what you’re friend says.

in the meantime have you backed anything else up since you started having the problem with these dvds? have those worked?

hmmm

Yes I backed up a couple of things and they worked fine.

On my friends DVD Player, the full compressed disk would not play at all. not even a message that it couldn’t play.

The split disk played fine.

To repeat, on my Player I got a “This disc will not play on this machine” with the compressed version, and a lot of pixelation, pausing and then a green screen with the split uncompressed version.