SHM-165P6S continues to waste DVD-R!

Hi !
I’ve just bought a Liteon SHM-165P6s drive (black one).

Then:

[ul]
[li]Installed the nero Express 6 bundled with the drive
[/li][li]Got the ISO of the Open Suse 10.1 DVD. ( MD5cksum verified)
[/li][li]Got a Memorex DVD-R 8X, and burnt the DVD, asking to verify the data
[/li][li] BUT
[/li][/ul]

EAch DVD produced (6 copies !!), failed the verify !
I’ve attached some nero info PNG of the wasted DVD…

In particular I noticed

[ul]
[li]the drive spent a lot of time writing the Lead in.
[/li][li]Curiosly, some written surfaces of this bad DVD’s shows sort of “rings”, other don’t (the come from the same ISO!!)
[/li][/ul]

I tried to move from the MS0F to MS0M firmware, without any improvement.

Any idea ?
Is it a well known bug or maybe the drive is defective ?
Should I use some special settings in the Nero Xpress 6 ?
Shoud I use a different firmware ?

Any help would be appreciated !!

:sad:

Tried also with a different support, Verbatin DVD + R 16 X, but with the same results

:sad:

H2O,

L-EC Uncorrectable Error is typically due to bad quality media. Please try to burn another media.

GB

The first ones were Maxwell. (DVD -R)
Then I used Verbatin. (DVD + R)
Same result.

[B]I attach a log file of the burning, so to show error results during verification.
In case i may help finding the problem…[/B]

Which settings in Nero, may increase the choice of a good burn with this drive?

dvdlog.txt (12.3 KB)

Try burning to one of the Verbatims at low speed (6X) - or do a “Create Data Disc” in CD-DVD Speed (if you get the latest version here , we can also see the CPU usage and buffer level during the burn).

The rings (if perfectly geometrical) usually just indicate changes in burn speed. If the “rings” are irregularly shaped however, there’s something wrong.

P.S. Can we see your girlfriend :wink:

Downloaded the newst file and installed.
Tryed burning a Memorex 8X DVD-R (ID: CMC MAG.AE1) at 6x speed.

It still takes a loooong time to write the LEadin.
I hear rumors of a problem of this lite on with lead in.
Do you confirm me that theese problems exist ?
I use fw MS0M with my SHM-165P6S.

I also tried to installPV96Win, but then drive was blinking and not recognising the disc i inserted to burn.

Are there any better fw ?
Or a better sw than nero Xpress to burn the DVD ?

Close to the center of the disc (2 cm) there is a clear ring.

Close to the external edge (2 cm), the border of the burned surface seems not clear but in some way “smoothed” or not clearly delimited…

She’s now my wife :o :bigsmile:

BAD Quality of the drive or of the disc ?

Informazioni generali
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S
Firmware: MS0M
Tipo di disco:: DVD-R (CMC MAG. AE1)
Velocità selezionata: 8 X
PI errors
MAX: 633
media: 45.82
Totale: 672348
PI failures
MAX: 192
media: 3.55
Totale: 147544
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scansione statistiche
Tempo trascorso: 9:56
Numero di campioni: 115735
Intervallo scansione medio: 1.24 ECC
Anomalie eliminate: 20

===============

And look at the scan disc test…
after 1250 Mb the disk is unreadable … (speed goes 0x…)

Hi,

Can you repeat the “Disc Quality” scan with the Maxell and Verbatim discs you tried to burn previously and post these as well (to exclude it’s a bad batch of Memorex CMC’s)? I can also take a look at your Nero InfoTool log if you attach it here (tells us more about your system). You could try to do a “reset learnt media” with the “EEPROM Utility” on your drive to clear out any anomalies after flashing the firmware. The strange thing is that the problem now occurs around 1.3GB, whereas it was at 2.2GB in your first post. The best alternative to Nero for burning ISO’s is ImgBurn.

I did a little experiment with my Sony DW-G120A (connected via USB), which is the same drive as your LiteOn SHM-165P6S (with Sony firmware). I used Memorex DVD-R 8X, same as yours, and below are the “Create Disc”, “Disc Quality” and “Transfer Rate Test” results. It’s the first burn with this media for my drive (the following should be a bit better still) and as you can see, there are no apparent problems here. It does take about a minute to write the lead-in, but that’s nothing abnormal. The lead-in issue you heard about mainly concerns the playback of burned video DVD-R’s in standalone players. That’s not your problem here.

P.S. Congratulations on your married status :clap:. I still haven’t figured that one out yet :).

You stated you flashed with [B]P[/B]V96 firmware and got blinking lights. The [B]M[/B]V96 is the correct firmware for this drive.
After trying 3 different types of media and comming up with three bad results with the same problem, I tend to think you might have a defective drive. The stock firmware and [B]genuine[/B] versions of the media you’ve tried would not return the results you reported.
Some problems can also be related to the IDE drivers. Try using the Standard MS driver and make sure your system is not in PIO mode but DMA.

Is this new drive a replacement or is it the first time for a burner in this system ?

Yes. But B]M[/B]V96 is test firmware. Latest official firmware is MS0[B]N[/B]. There are some newer test firmwares, but I doubt, this would help.

Michael

I agree that firmware changes will not solve his problem, but the PV96 firmware was only going to create a new one because it was the wrong one to use for that burner.

I’m not sure, but it seem to be a hardware related problem.

Found the Verbatin 16X, +R

Informazioni generali
Tipo di disco:: DVD+R (MCC 004)
PI errors
MAX: 556
media: 44.75
Totale: 332281
PI failures
MAX: 93
media: 3.22
Totale: 25738
Scansione statistiche
Tempo trascorso: 8:22
Numero di campioni: 94252
Intervallo scansione medio: 1.21 ECC
Anomalie eliminate: 17

Drives Configuration
Scsi-Device-Map ===
CdRomPeripheral : ELBY DVD-ROM 1.0 ElbyVCD Port 0 ID 0 DMA: Off
DiskPeripheral : Maxtor 6Y080L0 atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
DiskPeripheral : MAXTOR 6L060J3 atapi Port 1 ID 1 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : LITE-ON LTR-32123S atapi Port 2 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S atapi Port 2 ID 1 DMA: On

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===
ELBY DVD-ROM H: CDRom2
LITE-ON LTR-32123S E: CDRom0
LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S F: CDRom1

MB : ECS K7S5A Pro
CPU : AMD 1800 (2200)
RAM: DDT400 1Gb
HD : Maxtor 80GB EIDE
ATI 9250
Pinnacle DC10+
D-link 538(ethernet)
D-link 528(ethernet)

In case it may help …

time for a rma

A pretty terrible result for MCC004 indeed (the last scan is not very useful, you should keep the scan speed set at 8X with this drive :slight_smile: ). You should probably get the drive exchanged, as suggested by seeker010. The only other things I can think of are:

• try with SiS IDE drivers (download from http://www.sis.com/download/ - file name ide204a.zip).
  • try the drive as single master on the secondary IDE channel (I see you have a CDRW as master and the DVDRW as slave now).
  • the master should be on the end of the cable, the slave on the middle connector.
  • make sure to use 80-wire (Ultra ATA 66/100) IDE ribbon cable.
  • if possible, test the drive in another PC (if it does the same, you are sure it is a bad unit).

As I needed desperately an iso of Suse, I burned a DVD+R 16x, at “only” 8x.
[B]It passed the test[/B] for data verification just after the burning, so I tried a CDSpeed test on it at 8x.

The [B]values seem lower[/B] than yours, just I do not understand (I had never used DVD Spedd) what the purple lines are (and if they are bad ).

Informazioni generali
Tipo di disco:: DVD+R (MCC 004)
PI errors
MAX: 186
media: 4.21
Totale: 36115
PI failures
MAX: 30
media: 0.43
Totale: 5842
Scansione statistiche
Tempo trascorso: 8:21
Numero di campioni: 95742
Intervallo scansione medio: 1.20 ECC
Anomalie eliminate: 10

few more, important, question:

1- I opened the case and I discover the flat cable is not a 80pins but a 40pins (it was previously used with the ltd 163 reader, now subtituded bu the 165P6)
[B]Shoud I change the cable to a 80 pins ? (read: is it mandatory) [/B]

2- I’ve now discovered a tool find smartburn.
I played with it and discovered that smartburn and HT (??? what is this) where not enabled.
[B]I changed this way the SB /HT settings. Is it a better configuration[/B] ?

The values seem lower, but they aren’t :slight_smile: . If you look carefully, you’ll see the scale of the graph (on the left) is different. It changes automatically when the values go out of range. In general, for a good result the PIE values (top graph) should remain below 280 and PIF (bottom graph) below 4 (for DVD’s). Obviously less total no. of errors is better. The purple lines in the PIF graph are much too high, so you’ll understand that the result is not good yet. :frowning:

Hi,

Yes, you should use an 80 wire cable, as the drive is an UDMA-4 drive.

I played with it and discovered that smartburn and HT (??? what is this) where not enabled.
[B]I changed this way the SB /HT settings. Is it a better configuration[/B] ?
The drive should work out-of-the-box without fiddling with Smartburn. So try if replacing the cable helps. If not, then return the drive.

Michael

80 wire cable maybe [I]preferable[/I] in some user opinion, but it certainly is not [I]mandatory[/I]. I have used many UDMA4 devices successfully with 40 wire cable.

I would definitely fit an 80-wire cable - it can solve your problem. After installing it you have to check that DMA is enabled (link) for both drives. The CDRW should show UDMA2 and the DVDRW is UDMA4.

I changed this way the SB /HT settings. Is it a better configuration ?

These are settings for fine-tuning the results and can not solve a major problem like you have. You have either a bad drive or an IDE problem. (HT is HyperTuning which tries to optimize the laser during the burn.)

I see Michael is helping out already (I’m typing too slowly on this German keyboard :wink: )