Sharpie Question

vbimport

I was just curious what effect using Sharpie marker on a DVD surface would have in terms of playback. Thanks.

Shouldn’t have any adverse effects. I use an ultrafine Sharpie for virtually all my labels, and haven’t noticed any problems over the last 4 or 5 yrs.

Just don’t write on the bottom side. :slight_smile:

Use them all the time, no problems so far.

DVD’s are not made like CDRs. There’s absolutely nothing you can do to them that affects playback, marker-wise. All markers are “safe”.

Is there any Sharpie you’d recommend, or are all the same in terms of no effect?

Since sharpie is a name brand any sharpie should do if it says Permanent Marker. I would not use the extra fine that have a partial medal point.

Strickly a felt tip maker like Sharpie is a wise choice!

[QUOTE=samlar;2006517]Since sharpie is a name brand any sharpie should do if it says Permanent Marker. I would not use the extra fine that have a partial medal point.[/QUOTE]

You cannot hurt a DVD with any markers. You can even scratch your label in with a screwdriver, and it hurts nothing.

[QUOTE=CDan;2006541]You cannot hurt a DVD with any markers. You can even scratch your label in with a screwdriver, and it hurts nothing.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to find any screws on any DVD’s! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=CDan;2006541]You cannot hurt a DVD with any markers. You can even scratch your label in with a screwdriver, and it hurts nothing.[/QUOTE]

your right but I still would not used the ones that have medal tips.

This raises an interesting question that should maybe be asked in its own thread, but here goes. Mind you, I’m not condoning the use of labels, but if you can’t hurt a DVD by writing on or scratching the top surface, how is it that a paper label or its adhesive can render a disc useless or cause a loss of the data? Does the adhesive eat all the way through the disc to the reflective layer and destroy it? Couldn’t a Sharpie’s ink do the same thing over time? I’ll take the word of the experts that a paper label can destroy a disc in as little as a few months but I’ve never understood why or how.

The labels do not hurt the dvd but they cause problems playing them back on dvd players since the dvd is going at a fast rate of speed. The better balanced the dvd the better they play. Never never never put paper labels on dvd. As for as destroying the dvd in a few months it is not so much as destroying it but the label glue does not stay glued that well after a few months and then the players will not play them becuase of the balanced. If you could remove the label I am sure that they would play fine as long as you do not cause problems to the other side.

As you probably know a DVD gets pretty warm when playing so the glue on the paper labels
has a good chance of coming loose and the label can come off and destroy your player. The
paper labels can also cause the DVD to warp out of shape when it gets hot/warm causing the
DVD to become out of balance and there for causing it to not play correctly. :doh:

As getit29 said the label causes the dvd to warp when the label gets older it shrinks, resulting in problem reads because of the warp. You can remove the label by applying wd-40, yes wd-40 let it soak and the label will come off. Once clean you can then make a copy of the dvd. Paper labels are a big no when it comes to dvd’s.

Most users in this forum will tell you to get a cd/dvd printer. I’ve gotten a Epson r300 for $59 at Fry’s. Get Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim printable disks and you set.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Reading about Sharpies for years ,dont get that Brand in South Africa.
I use a Permant Marker .but make Sure that it dosent dry out. So you dont Press to hard

I like to use Marks-A-Lot markers…

[B][I]Has anyone ever had (long-term) problems using these markers?[/I][/B] Sharpies write too thin IMO, that’s why I prefer these.