Share Your Experiences Buying Used Burners On Ebay or Craigslist

Can folks share their general expeirences buying used DVD burners on eBay or Craigslist? In particular, I’m wondering about those who, like me, are looking for rare BenQ and Plextor drives, and whether you got some good deals, or some lemons.

I would never be tempted to buy a used burner off of ebay because you never
know what has been done to it (ie) bad flash,wore all the way out, laser almost
burned out, etc.,etc. :disagree:

Granted I have 5 BenQ drives sitting around, but given how cheap new drives are, I wouldn’t bother with buying used. If one drive isn’t satisfactory for you, try another.

Yo-

Buying a used drive on eBay - is similar to buying a used car from Thrifty or Budget - getting a wife at a whore house or buying a used police cruiser at auction - IMO -eh!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;1998923]Yo-

Buying a used drive on eBay - is similar to buying a used car from Thrifty or Budget - getting a wife at a whore house or buying a used police cruiser at auction - IMO -eh!![/QUOTE]

Awesome examples :clap: :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=bigmike7;1998923]Yo-

Buying a used drive on eBay - is similar to buying a used car from Thrifty or Budget - getting a wife at a whore house or buying a used police cruiser at auction - IMO -eh!![/QUOTE]

LOL!!! great examples bigmike :iagree: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I’ve gotten some new Plextors (real Plextors) for quite low off ebay. The nice thing about Plextors is you can check burn times with the Pxinfo tool.

Bought a Sony 810A (OEM BenQ 1640) last year (or 2 years ago) on ebay for $25. I need it since I mistakenly give away my only DW1640 to a friend. :doh:

The seller said in the description that it was used only once. It looks like he didn’t lie and he even forgot to take the receipt out of the box, from bestbuy with his name and last 4 digits of his card, a $80 purchase based on the receipt. He did have 100% positive. I don’t use it a lot but it’s working good.

Also bought a couple spindle of 100mins CD-R media off ebay years ago.

I think Bigmike has captured the situation.

Mixed experience personally. I bought a 740uf(1640 in external plextor case) and a store return Pio 111D external, both drive in excellent condition. Also bought a lot of NEC drives only one of which worked but thanks to that I have a NEC 3500.

I’ve never bought anything from craigslist,but I have bought several dvd-rw drives from ebay, as well as my used Epson R-300.

1 Plextor PX-716A for around $75,works great,but not like my 1640s.

Then looking for another drive for a buddy a couple months ago,I got a Plextor PX-716A for $40. After I clicked pay,I noticed the seller had a really high number-power seller-a very bad move on my account… Drive was DOA and had to go through the long process of RMA. They refunded all my money,but I was still out $7 for shipping.

Then I found someone selling Benq 1640’s,and bought 2 with the discounted shipping- $37 each. One went to my buddy,other is stored away for later. Test burned both drives and scored mid 90’s for Ritek-P16 media. Original seal still on them.

What I can advise,stay away from the power sellers. You’ll notice how they have 10 different sales on identical drives,with the identical picture. Those are often Refurbished or have no clue if the drives work.

Look at the sellers with high positive feedback,not so fancy listing,and under 100 for their rating. Less chance of getting refurbished equipment. A lot of those smaller ebay sellers think they are upgrading to newer drives,when it looks more like they’re downgrading.

I still keep an eye at ebay for them in case I run into a bargain. I’m batting 75%.

Hehe…if my LiteOn CD-RW wears out, it’ll be eBay for me, I think. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2000041]Hehe…if my LiteOn CD-RW wears out, it’ll be eBay for me, I think. ;)[/QUOTE]

We have an Egyptian saying that describes the situation , you will not understand it if I translated it literally but it means : If it was good , they would not have “let it” go :bigsmile:

I remember some place here in Egypt that had lots of 1640/1655 if I can get them I am gonna get thel ALL and sell them at ebay as new sealed boxes for a good price and make a fortune out of them :o

Cd freaks would have special discount of course :wink:

Ivan says, there ain’t a thing wrong with a used police cruiser, as long as you don’t buy it off E-Bay!:bigsmile:

I just bought a new Philips DW8801 which everyone on google says is a BenQDW1650 but before I flashed it I wanted to see what the firmware it came with looked like and its better than my BenQDW1650 ( Firmware 2D06) It burn fantastic and it has no riplock. I like it better than the BenQDW1650.:iagree: By the way I paid 9.99USD.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2000214]I just bought a new Philips DW8801 which everyone on google says is a BenQDW1650 but before I flashed it I wanted to see what the firmware it came with looked like and its better than my BenQDW1650 ( Firmware 2D06) It burn fantastic and it has no riplock. I like it better than the BenQDW1650.:iagree: By the way I paid 9.99USD.[/QUOTE]

Did you get this on ebay? And are you saying that the original fw works better than the 1650 fw? Also, what is it listed as on the bottom of the burner? Thanks.

Yes I bought it on Ebay as a Philips DW8801. I bought it for 9.99USD. It can be crossflashed into a BenQDW1650 but I will not do that as I have a few DW1650s already. This firmware is better. Listed on the bottom of the burner is MadeinChina 2006. Firmware 2D06. Made by BenQ.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2001224]Yes I bought it on Ebay as a Philips DW8801. I bought it for 9.99USD. It can be crossflashed into a BenQDW1650 but I will not do that as I have a few DW1650s already. This firmware is better. Listed on the bottom of the burner is MadeinChina 2006. Firmware 2D06. Made by BenQ.[/QUOTE]

Can it do Cdspeed disc quality scans? If so, I’ll be ebayin’. My 1640 is getting old and I could use a backup. My LG & Pioneer don’t scan.

No it does not scan, I scan it on my BenQDW1640.:wink: I wouldn’t pay more than 20USD for any used burner, you never know how long it will last, its hit and miss so if its cheaper than a new one go for it. I just got lucky as I was the only bidder on this drive.

People should not underestimate Philips firmware. The stock firmware on my Philips SPD2413 seems a bit better than Lite-On 20A1P firmware, even though it doesn’t support OHT and other Lite-On features.