Share your bitsetting success stories!

vbimport

The ability to change booktype is intriguing on a geek level. (Nothing against geeks–I’m one.) On the other, I wonder how much practical value it has.

My question, then, is simple: Has anyone actually solved any compatiblity problems by using the bitsetting utility? (i.e., “My DVD+R burns wouldn’t play in my standalone player, but with the changed setting they do now!”)

dave

my ps2 has a pos modchip which dsnt play dvd±r/w backups (i dont want to get into the legality on this) as i bought it from overseas premodded and everywhere they sell non-legit pressed ps2 games

anyways it plays only cd-r backup games/dvd-rom backup games/origs games/dvd-rom,+r,-r,+rw movies

i backedup gt3 on a dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd+rw and it didnt work (b4 bitsetting was available)

when bitsetting came around i backedup on a dvd+rw as -rom and it worked
backedup on a dvd+r as -rom and it worked
i then backedup 2 of my ea sports snowboarding games as -rom and they worked

thats my bitsetting story

works on everything in my house, now my apex can play dvd+r
everything played dvd-r yea, but now dvd+r and it’s more compatible.

i have 3 dvd players in my house that can’t normally play recordable dvds (i have 2 others that do), and all 3 can play dvd+r with booktype dvd-rom. the same goes for my xbox, as well as several of my friends’ and relatives’ dvd players. i actually have yet to run into a dvd player that can’t play a dvd+r with booktype dvd-rom.

A friend of mine has an Apex portable DVD player for his van. It wouldn’t play +R discs, but would play -R.

I burnt a +R and bit set it to -ROM and it played fine on his Apex.

My parents and sister have a older Toshiba 2 disc player that will not play any type of recorded media. No DVDR or CDR playback. With a DVD+R set to DVD-ROM it plays it perfectly.

My PS2 with not play a burned game on a DVD+R. It will however play a movie on a DVD+R. A game burned on a DVD+R set as DVD-ROM plays perfectly.

Thanks, everybody.

All this is good to know.

d

had no problems with bitsetting on dvd +r and +rw ,works a treat
everyones played.

My APEX player and other old dvd-rom drive reads my dvd+r -> dvd-rom now. but still don’t read my dvd+rw -> dvd-rom

My Macintosh G4 AGP would not read/play either +R or -R. +R bitset to -ROM play perfectly.

My Panasonic stand alone was very iffy with +R or -R. +R biteset to -ROM plays great.

I have a SONY DVD player. I used Ritek R02 DVD +R media with bit setting as DVD-ROM. DVD player does not recognize the DVD.Help??? :bow:

Try searching for your player here. Perhaps it’s a picky player.

I did look in there but i was of the opinion that DVD players have issues with +/- R irrespective of the brand. So when i burn with Bitsetting, the player sees it as DVD-ROM and plays it but it doesnt look like that.

My SONY does not like RITEK 02 at all. Crap, i have 100 of them got from OM for 40$ and i am stuck. My Lappy and the burner play it without problems.

Any suggestions???

I had trouble playing any DVD -R or DVD +R on my Panasonic SC-HT67 DVD Player if burned on Lite-On 411S.

After setting book type to DVD-ROM on DVD +R media, it plays flawlessly on my Panasonic.

DVD -R burned on Pioneer burner always played fine on the Panasonic Player.

Originally posted by hrmanju1
[B]I did look in there but i was of the opinion that DVD players have issues with +/- R irrespective of the brand. So when i burn with Bitsetting, the player sees it as DVD-ROM and plays it but it doesnt look like that.

My SONY does not like RITEK 02 at all. Crap, i have 100 of them got from OM for 40$ and i am stuck. My Lappy and the burner play it without problems.

Any suggestions??? [/B]

If they are Ricoh R01 I would take them off your hands?

Some time ago my friend gave me a DVD with his home video, it was +R printed on it. I watched it on my Onkyo DR90 amplituner/player combo, and it worked perfectly. So, I decided to buy 401 +R burner. First burn - does not play, second one - the same. Only then I started to search and I discovered that I need bitsetting. My friend’s standalone DVD recorder changes book type by default, and Onkyo plays +Rs, but only with ROM book type. Now I have 411s and I use only +R with bitsetting. 100% of burned DVDs work in Onkyo.

yupee

My newer Koss KD365 standalone player has trouble playing DVD+R or DVD-R discs that do not fill the entire disc capacity. (ie a 2 GB movie will have trouble). It will usually play the discs, but will make a loud noise when attempting to first read them.
And this standalone OFFICIALLY supports all burnt media!

If I booktype these ‘lower capacity’ DVD+Rs to DVD-ROM. The standalone player has absolutely no hesitation playing them.
Yet another happy bitsetting customer :wink:

After reading all these happy ending stories, and wiping my eyes from the joyful tears, I just felt that I have to put my 2 cents worth in.

I have a Philips 612 standalone player, and although it plays +R media most of the time, it has issues. Example- Sometimes in the middle of a film the screen starts stuttering, or freezes altogether. Sometimes, when you try to open a menu, it freezes the screen also, or just a half of the screen shows up.

These problems don’t appear with -R media. -R copies play fine, and never a problem swithing to menu in the middle of a film.

I tried the bitesetting tool from Liteon with my 851s, and believe it or not…NO HELP. It does the same crap as when the disk was a +R disk. DVDInfoPro says that the booktype has been changed to DVD-Rom. I guess the bitesetting just doesnt work for me as good as it works for others.

Bottom Line…If you are having issues with +R media on your standalone player, then Bitesetting might be just what the Doctor ordered. If it doesnt help, then you might just have to stick to -R media like I have to.

greetz

Kid185

kid185-

What manufacturer is your +r media?

I tried the bitesetting tool from Liteon with my 851s, and believe it or not…NO HELP. It does the same crap as when the disk was a +R disk. DVDInfoPro says that the booktype has been changed to DVD-Rom. I guess the bitesetting just doesnt work for me as good as it works for others.

If your stand alone player already plays +R discs, then bitsetting will not help. Bitsetting only tricks the player into thinking it is a pressed DVD. It will not improve the playability.