SHARE My PC's 2.1 Speaker Set w-New HDMI Capable HDTV

vbimport

I have a new HDTV connected to a new PC via HDMI cable. Note that both ends are HDMI connectors (e.g., no VGA -> HDMI conversion cable, etc. is used. The HDTV alternating (not simultaneous) serves as both the monitor for the PC and for cable TV viewing.

I also have a Cyber Acoustics CA-3001 3-Piece Speaker Set. It has the standard one green 3.5mm male connector. When plugged into the PC’s standard green speaker/headphone port, the new speaker set works just fine when using the PC (as expected). If disconnected, by default, the HDTV’s internal speakers work instead when using the PC (as expected, since ALL audio and video signals are being transmitted via the HDMI connection).

I plan on getting a 3.5mm Stereo Female to RCA Male Y-Cable in order to instead hook-up the new speaker set to the HDTV (which has the appropriate RCA connectors) to serve as speakers when viewing cable TV.

QUESTION: Can I safely presume with the new speaker set serving as speakers for the HDTV (after hook-up via the Y-adapter) that they will be the active speakers regardless of whether I’m using the HDTV in PC or cable TV viewing mode?

Common logic tells me I’m 90% certain the answer is yes. However, I’d rather avoid spinning-my-wheels getting a Y-Adapter if it isn’t going to produce my desired result, and instead get a multi-port A/V switch.

Any and all replies providing answer/advice are sincerely appreciated.

[QUOTE=TheGeekinator;2528825]
QUESTION: Can I safely presume with the new speaker set serving as speakers for the HDTV (after hook-up via the Y-adapter) that they will be the active speakers regardless of whether I’m using the HDTV in PC or cable TV viewing mode?[/QUOTE]
If you have RCA audio outs, my experience is that you will accomplish what you wish. Whether or not the television volume control will function at that output is not a certainty. Perhaps your manual will let you know. Connecting to a headphone outlet should give you volume control, if that is an option.

Thanks for the reply deanwitty. I hadn’t considered the volume control aspect.

I just went ahead an added a Female to RCA Male Y-Cable to my last TigerDirect order. I’ll discover soon enough if it fills the bill.

Thanks again.

[QUOTE=TheGeekinator;2530049]Thanks for the reply deanwitty. I hadn’t considered the volume control aspect.

I just went ahead an added a Female to RCA Male Y-Cable to my last TigerDirect order. I’ll discover soon enough if it fills the bill.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
You’re welcome :flower:. And welcome to MyCE/CdFreaks(the REAL “geek squad”):bigsmile:. Always glad to have another modder onboard here. Let us know how it goes?