Shall i damage my drive if i burn 50 dvds right one after the other

Hello everyone

i have 3 questions and i feel this place is the best to ask them.

Currently i have WinXP Pro SP1
Lite-On SHW 160PS
Nero 6.0 (i have v.6.3. but never installed it because 6.0 works fine).

1. I plan to back up my hard drive (thats about 200GB or 50+dvds to burn). If i burn them one after the other (besides being boring) would it damage my drive? Is it better to let the drive rest after every burn?

2. I just checked and according to Nero the highest speed of my drive is 12. I dont plan to burn at speeds like 12 or 16, i am very happy with 8x, but just out of curiousity, why is the speed 12 and not 16? I’m using firmware v4 if that matters.

3. Because my comp is part of a LAN, with several hundred kids who do stupid things, I’m planning to update win to SP2. I heard that some Lite-on drives have problems using Nero under SP2? Will my drive fall in this category and if so, what can i do about it?

Thanks a lot to those who will take some time to read and answer my questions. I know im newbie with dvd burners but i guess id better start learning.

John

Hi,

regarding your 3rd question:
There won’t be a problem with your drive, but maybe with Nero. Solution is to upgrade to latest 6.6.x. You can get it free from www.nero.com You should upgrade to latest Nero before you install SP2 (and don’t forget to install all the other patches from windowsupdate.com)

Michael

I suggest you to split burnings; doing all 50 one after the other can overheat your drive; I think that 3-4 consecutive burnings are good, then leave 10-15 min to the drive to cool, and do other burnings.
It’s only my opinion, because I never did so many consecutive burnings :slight_smile:

About your first plan.
DVD media is at best unreliable for data backups. Multiply that 50 times and you got a disaster on your hands.
Buy an external HDD, enclosure plus a 250GB HDD and be done with it. If you can’t use an external one, just buy the HDD and temporarily plug it in your puter and then be done with it.

Don’t miseducate forum members! DVD media IS reliable for all backups. It’s just the way you burn it. Please do 5-10minutes breaks after burning 3-4 dvds. And be sure to pick-up good media such as Verbatim. Have a nice burning :slight_smile:

The drive won’t overheat, just it will start making coasters :stuck_out_tongue:

Which is why I’d recommend making at least one backup of the burned DVDs, preferably on a different brand of disc.

I’m paranoid, I keep two sets of backups, plus the originals :bigsmile:

Guess we’ll have disagree on that one, although your “It’s just the way you burn it.” does cover a lot of damage :wink:

Same here, for one or two DVD’s that is, not 50+. A single HDD does the trick for me there, and when you have a LAN, in an “IP box” or one of those SAN thingies.

LOL yeah, I never burned 50 odd in one go, either - in that case, I’d probably go with your HDD suggestion (I never had that much data to back up, myself - smaller HDD!).

I think the most I’ve backed up in one go is 11 or 12 DVDRs…

LOL

I wonder if the drive can be used to cook pizzas :stuck_out_tongue:

If you have a backup program that takes some time to compress, then you will use less media, and it may rest the drive.

I would NOT want to push a drive too hard, especially if the case cooling was rather suspect.

With good case cooling, and the drive not sandwiched, I’d expect it to reach equilibrium within a couple of burns anyway.

As for backup, I’d prefer a double shot:
DVD media (immune to magnetic and electrical disturbance and generally robust against physical shock below the point of fracture or delamination)
Hard disk in ext box - unless compromised by magnetic, electrical or physical factors, probably more reliable than optical media.

Also, I would hope that you can find a better way than just “backing up 200GB”. While it is no longer absolutely necessary to partition large drives, it is usually a good idea for management purposes, to at least seperate the system area (which does need an image backup, though is usually better cleanly rebuilt), from data which is better stored in usable chunks with a logical organzation)

Yeah right, as I look at my filepile in one directory that takes forever to come up!

i can’t prove this definitively, but i had a nec 2510. my brother-in-law came over one day for a burn-fest. we burned over 20 dvd’s back-to-back-to-back. after that, my nec was never able to burn at 8x, just 4x error filled burns.

I kind of wondered about life expectancy under heavy usage myself, too. I have gone through 3 liteon burners already. All of them started out fine, and ended their life with one coaster after another. Flashing firmware does no good. The DVD they spit out just don’t play anymore.

Luckly they are cheap enough to be semi-disposible now.

Like all mechanical devices, also burners with time will deteriorates. It’s normal. An heavy use only accelerates this process.

Sorry, but we’ll have to disagree with YOU, as long as you have no proof of what you say…

I agree with the above. Currently the best archival solution is quality tape storage :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: An HDD is not fool proof and always vulnerable to a crash. In fact it is more likely you will lose data to a HDD crash than losing it to a bad DVD, particularly if you use QUALITY DVDs like TYs.

Your drive is unlikely to get damaged from so many burns at once, however I would NOT recommend 50 consecutive burns. I would allow the drive to rest 5-10 minutes between burns, or at most 3 to 4 burns.

If you go the external HDD approach, I can highly reccommend Vice Versa Pro (http://www.tgrmn.com/). I use it and an external drive to backup - I keep the external drive off most of the time except when I’m doing a backup. My backup process is a matter of switch the drive on, run Vice Versa and let it go. It checks file CRCs too so you know you’ve got a good copy of the stuff. You can download and use it for free for 30 days and it’s $59.95 after that - well worth it!

Yes, my external drive could drop dead. But if it does, I’ll immediately replace it with another one (I’ve got a few around.) The chance of both my primary drive AND the backup drive failing is slim enough to be safe for the data I store. I’m not a financial institution, I don’t have to abide by Sarbanes Oxley! :stuck_out_tongue:

What is it that “heats up” given the disk that is actually “burned” gets removed???

My current Benq is a year old with about 1500 burns on it. If I start to get coasters, is there a good test to determine if it is burned out from overuse or just a dirty lens==or is it all just “black box maintenance” ?.///bobbo.