Shadow Defender for free today!

vbimport

At ShareWareOnSale today!:iagree:
This is an EXCELLENT program for testing software which doesn’t require a reboot,and for protecting your system’s vulnerable status against malware when surfing the www I have a registered version,a few years already,as part of my layered security defense…IMHO,HIGHLY recommended!!:bow::clap:

Product Description

Shadow Defender is an easy-to-use security solution (for Windows operating systems) that protects your PC/laptop real environment against malicious activities and unwanted changes.

Shadow Defender can run your system in a virtual environment called ‘Shadow Mode’. ‘Shadow Mode’ redirects each system change to a virtual environment with no change to your real environment. If you experience malicious activities and/or unwanted changes, perform a reboot to restore your system back to its original state, as if nothing happened.

With Shadow Defender, you have the flexibility to specify which files and folders are permanently saved to the real environment. This ensures important files and folders are kept after a reboot.

If you want to make a maintenance-free computer, Shadow Defender will be your best choice.

Shadow Defender users…

Maintain a system free from malicious activities and unwanted changes.
    Test software and game installations in a safe environment.
    Protect against unwanted changes by shared users (suitable for workplaces and educational institutions).

Shadow Defender Features

Prevent all viruses and malwares.
    Surf the internet safely and eliminate unwanted traces.
    Protect your privacy.
    Eliminate system downtime and maintenance costs.
    Reboot to restore your system back to its original state.

Now the bad news MSE is also free and requires no yearly paid subscription to use it if you already have a legit Windows O/S install. Some may say it is not as good but for my purpose and so far it has done very good for all my laptops and Tower setup since I stopped using Avira Free. But then again if you get infected this is why one needs to make a Recovery/Restore media ahead of time so you can wipe clean any infections and start over or use the Factory recovery media to restore to factory install and start over again. IMHO…

While I agree about making recovery discs,do you REALLY think MSE is enough to keep you out of trouble???:confused:
And about a factory repair ,I can only say:have fun with updating your OS to the latest updates,updating drivers and reinstall every bit of software from before the havoc…probably a full day’s work… :bigsmile:
I weekly backup my system with TeraByte’s ImageForWindows,but still don’t like a hosed up system…that’s why Shadow Defender is so important to me…

I’ve installed it on my computers today .
I will be testing with it .
@ roadworker , If I open e-mail in Shadow mode & delete it. Then I either take it out of Shadow mode & into normal mode or reboot. Will the e-mail I deleted show up ?
I also take it that Commit is the main 'Save" function for keeping anything you want saved to normal mode.
I can figure these things out but it would save me some time if you will let me know.

[QUOTE=cholla;2732829]@ roadworker , If I open e-mail in Shadow mode & delete it. Then I either take it out of Shadow mode & into normal mode or reboot. Will the e-mail I deleted show up ?[/QUOTE] It’s impossible to answer that without knowing how you read your e-mail.
Shadow Defender and any similar program that protects the local system from unwanted changes, do not and can not protect you from making changes to externally stored information such as e.g. POP3 or IMAP mail servers, web-based e-mail, and similar.

Also, no program can “undo” if you use your computer to tell your boss he’s an idiot. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2732832] It’s impossible to answer that without knowing how you read your e-mail.
Shadow Defender and any similar program that protects the local system from unwanted changes, do not and can not protect you from making changes to externally stored information such as e.g. POP3 or IMAP mail servers, web-based e-mail, and similar. [/QUOTE]

I read it locally in Vista Windows Mail. It is POP3.
I can read it on the att website but almost never do.
When I delete it in Windows Mail it is also deleted on the att web site.

I do have a gmail account as I think most do.
I read it on the gmail site .
This software works with the browser if I understand it correctly. So it may protect gmail being opened .I doubt it will restore anything deleted on the gmail site .
I already had that figured out.
I’m sure in time I will know what it does.
For example I plan to clean up everything with CCleaner . Then enable Shadow mode. Then web surf some & return to normal mode. Then see what CCleaner finds.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2732832]
Also, no program can “undo” if you use your computer to tell your boss he’s an idiot. :bigsmile: [/QUOTE]

I usually just tell him direct since my boss is me .

Unless you mean the BIG BOSS I don’t call Him an idiot.
I don’t want to be turned into a pillar of salt.

[QUOTE=cholla;2732841]
When I delete it in Windows Mail it is also deleted on the att web site.[/QUOTE]

Then it’s gone after a reboot…if you didn’t check ‘commit changes’

[QUOTE=cholla;2732841]I do have a gmail account as I think most do.
I read it on the gmail site .
This software works with the browser if I understand it correctly. So it may protect gmail being opened .I doubt it will restore anything deleted on the gmail site . [/QUOTE]

It protects you from external stuff accessing your harddrive permanently…

[QUOTE=cholla;2732841]For example I plan to clean up everything with CCleaner . Then enable Shadow mode. Then web surf some & return to normal mode. Then see what CCleaner finds.[/QUOTE]

Nothing from that session…:disagree:

Thanks roadworker , I did some testing in Windows Mail.
I deleted some e-mails & then erased them with Eraser.
I then rebooted & all were back. That is what I wanted to know.
Normal when I run the Eraser you can no longer read the e-mail in the Delete folder.
That was the way the were in Shadow mode before the reboot.
So this should make the accidental reading of a “bad” e-mail" a lot safer.

Cholla,if you enable ‘encrypt write cache’ under administration,it’s very difficult for forensic tools to track your changes…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2732853]Cholla,if you enable ‘encrypt write cache’ under administration,it’s very difficult for forensic tools to track your changes…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
I’ll give that a try . I can’t see what it will hurt . I guess the RAM clears it & it’s gone.
I clean well anyway but this should save me some of that.

I found a good guide for Shadow Defender.

Good guide to get familiar with SD…:iagree:
The author is a longtime user,so maybe for some of his readers his opinion sounds a little biased,but when you’re used to the program,you’ll agree to most of his praising…:iagree:

Quote from his review:

When adding a RAM value, remember to always leave enough RAM available for the system. For example: If your system has 4GB of RAM (which translates to 4096MB), you can assign 1024MB for the SD write cache and leave the rest for Windows. If you only have 2GB of RAM installed you should not use this option. In this case leave the RAM cache at zero (default).
When the assigned RAM cache fills-up the program will automatically switch back to disk buffering mode. Personally I keep a close eye on Shadow Defender’s RAM cache usage (through the System Status screen), making sure to reboot the system before the RAM cache fills-up completely. This way the program never switches into disk buffering mode and my SSDs don’t get any write hits while in Shadow Mode.

1 thing to say about this quote: IMHO,his example of 4 GB only applies for 32 bit OS…for 64 bit OS to run smoothly,I suggest to have minimum 6 GB of RAM,with 2 GB assigned to Shadow Defender…and disable hibernation if you don’t need it…

Some important features added in the latest version:

-track 0 virtualization : partition table and bootsector protection …:bow:
-Hidden boot volume will also be in shadow mode automatically when your system volume is in shadow mode. : full virtualization of the OS from windows 7 and up…:clap:

You need to assign the amount of RAM for SD to use on the Mode setting window before entering shadow mode. Then it will remember the setting. For now I’m using 1024MB for all OS’s. My W7 64 laptop has 3GB of RAM so I will see how the setting effects performance. So far no difference I can tell.
My Vista desktop has 4GB it has also ran fine with the 1024MB setting.

The only negative so far is the computer has to be rebooted to turn the shadow mode off once enabled. I tried the force dismount & it took several tries before it “worked”. I did a few things after & had a BSOD. I tried it again & no BSOD but when I used CCleaner & “Analyzed” it was the same as if I “Commited all” .
I also tried “Killing” SD with “End It All” this worked but with the same results .
Overall I still like this program & plan to use it.

I also like that the installer was “smart” & when installed on my 64 bit OS . Installed for 64 bit.

[B]It is also still available free at least for one more day[/B].

One last thing if you know . I read the system specs & the earliest OS listed is W 2000 . Do you know if SD will work on W 98SE ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2732879] For now I’m using 1024MB for all OS’s. My W7 64 laptop has 3GB of RAM so I will see how the setting effects performance. So far no difference I can tell.[/QUOTE]

You will run out of RAM cache by heavy use…SD will write to the hd then…

[QUOTE=cholla;2732879]I tried the force dismount & it took several tries before it “worked”. I did a few things after & had a BSOD. I tried it again & no BSOD but when I used CCleaner & “Analyzed” it was the same as if I “Commited all” .
I also tried “Killing” SD with “End It All” this worked but with the same results .[/QUOTE]

Dangerous testing method Cholla…you can easily hose up your system by trying these things,as SD isn’t prepared for such kind of actions…only for termination by external programs…:eek:

[QUOTE=cholla;2732879] Overall I still like this program & plan to use it.[/QUOTE]

It’s up to you,but IMHO,a wise choice…I’m a happy user since 2010…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2732879] One last thing if you know . I read the system specs & the earliest OS listed is W 2000 . Do you know if SD will work on W 98SE ?[/QUOTE]

Sorry,not the slightest idea,as I only use XP as my oldest OS ATM…:disagree:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2732883] You will run out of RAM cache by heavy use…SD will write to the hd then… [/QUOTE]
I’m testing at this point. I think my laptop is doing OK with the 2GB I left for it to use. So far so good. SD has the other 1 GB for it’s use.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2732883]
Dangerous testing method Cholla…you can easily hose up your system by trying these things,as SD isn’t prepared for such kind of actions…only for termination by external programs…:eek: [/QUOTE]

I know & I knew I would be testing SD. That’s why I did a new backup with AcronisTI before I started.

I only got the BSOD with the SD internal “Force dismount volume” .
Funny how it appeared OK & when I did some browsing it BSODed.
I won’t be using that function again.

For the external “End It All” it didn’t have any diverse effects except I might as well have used “Commit all changes” . It was as if I hadn’t used SD. I won’t use IEA again unless I have to.

CCleaner was just used to “Analyze” . That way it showed all the TIF ,etc. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=roadworker;2732883]
Sorry,not the slightest idea,as I only use XP as my oldest OS ATM…:disagree: [/QUOTE]

I would have been surprised if anyone knew but since you had used SD for a while I asked. My suspicion is the file system has to be NTFS.

[QUOTE=cholla;2732888] CCleaner was just used to “Analyze” . That way it showed all the TIF ,etc.[/QUOTE]

Check privazer to see if that program suits the job…IMHO,it sweeps the floor with CCleaner’s cleanup abilities…even the portable version…;).

[QUOTE=roadworker;2732890]Check privazer to see if that program suits the job…IMHO,it sweeps the floor with CCleaner’s cleanup abilities…even the portable version…;).[/QUOTE]

I saw privazer in the other thread & downloaded the portable. I’ve been cleaning with it today. I like it & it is better for a through clean. CCleaners “Analyzer” is useful to show various browser tif files & some other functions.
CCleaner cleans some things privazer doesn’t & vice versa .
I plan to use both. I’ve ran it several times & it finds some every time.
I haven’t used anything on the computer in between.
Does it ever “zero” almost everything?
The “Traces in MFT” for example.

[QUOTE=cholla;2732891]Does it ever “zero” almost everything?
The “Traces in MFT” for example.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK only when you select the deep scanning option,but that 1 would take a while…don’t forget the options to set to ‘boost’ and ‘high priority’,otherwise it will be a pita b4 the cleaning completes…:wink:

I ran 5 deep scans today & still not everything is “Zero”. I also booted in between.
It did remove a couple of shortcuts I want in the tray but it only took a few minutes to put them back. I applied all the speed I could even used TaskManager to give “High” priority.
I also booted the 98SE computer .
I got the usual error that many modern softwares give. Basically a newer OS is expected.

[QUOTE=cholla;2732908]I ran 5 deep scans today & still not everything is “Zero”. [/QUOTE]

I assume you chose the ‘advanced user’ profile while installing…which options did you select in the advanced options–>cleaning tab?