SH-W163a / SH-S183a + VIA VT8237?

hi!

tommorow I’m going to buy sh-s183a and I was wondering if it will work with vt8237 controller.
though, that’s a new model and I cannot find any info about it - so, why not ask about compatibility with earlier samsung sata model - sh-w163a. any ideas?
someone has actually CHECKED compatibility with vt8237?

thx in advance,
M.

ps. I’ve seen compatibility list on the samsung site, but it’s completely unreadable for me - only weird dots - I guess I’m lacking some fonts.

Hi and welcome!

the drive should work with VT8237, if that is not set to RAID mode.
The compatibility list on Samsung website is really outdated, so it doesn’t mention SH-S183A. For SH-W163A (I doubt, that both drives could be compared) they noted that updating firmware does not work.

btw you can read the PDF with FoxIt Reader and the addon for East Asian Language. I prefer this over the bloated Adobe Reader :iagree:

Michael

thank you. when the drive arrives I will post how does it work.

I have just tested SH-S183A with ASRock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard (PT880 chipset) and it works great. No problems at all!

I just got the SH-S183a and after a nightmare time, got it working with the ASRock 939dual-sata2. I’m connecting it to the Sata2 port as bith my sata1 ports are occupoed with a pair of raid-0 disks.
I’ve figured that i need to stick the sata2 port on IDE mode, whatever that actually means, rather than sata mode. As soon as i stick it on sata mode, windows installs a new driver at which point its game over - my system hangs every 15 seconds or so for about 15 seconds with the driver connected. Only remedy? System restore and keep sata2 port running in IDE mode.

Has anyone got the lightscribe working on this drive?
My Nero doesn’t seem to want to recognise this as a lightscribe drive, and it doesn’t have a lightscribe symbol on the front…
It also doesn’t have lightscribe listed in its specs on the samsung website. Does this drve really support lightscribe?
I’ve just bought 25 lightscribe discs so will be a bit peeved if it isn’t supported!

I think that Samsung knows best whether this drive supports LightScribe or not. If Samsung did not mention LightScribe in this drive’s specs, then it means that this drive does not support it.

What an intelligent guy!!! don’t think so much please…!

Even samsung is not sure of the specs of its drives

check this link
http://www.samsung.com/es/products/opticaldiskdrive/dvdr_rw/sh_s183abebn.asp

Do you mean that if is mentioned, it is supported?
What if they mention in one place and not in another?
The fact is that is mentioned but not supported.
Shut up you intelligent guy. Do you think you are more clever than the rest of us?

What an intelligent guy!!! don’t think so much please…!

Even samsung is not sure of the specs of its drives

check this link http://www.samsung.com/es/products/opticaldiskdrive/dvdr_rw/sh_s183abebn.asp

Do you mean that if is mentioned, it is supported? What if they mention in one place and not in another?
The fact is that is mentioned but not supported.
Shut up you intelligent guy. Do you think you are more clever than the rest of us?

Congrats to your first post here and to your example of perfect politeness :a

[quote=“l’andriu”]

What an intelligent guy!!! don’t think so much please…![/quote]milnen is absolutely right there.

Even samsung is not sure of the specs of its drives check this link http://www.samsung.com/es/products/opticaldiskdrive/dvdr_rw/sh_s183abebn.asp
Do you mean that if is mentioned, it is supported? What if they mention in one place and not in another?

Never trust a local subsidiary with a badly maintained website.
The specs published on the global website are correct, and if you are in doubt, feel free to drop them a line.

Please re-read the rules you accepted with registering here. :cop: Also it is not necessary to post that twice.

Michael

Deleted one post.
@l’andriu
Manners cost nothing and we do not tolerate flaming. I hope you will modify your posting style if you wish to participate on our forums. :wink:

The *A drives are not Lightscribe capable. Only their *L drives are, because they have additional extra hardware [B]which is necessary[/B].