Sh-w163a Help!

Hi there, i am new to this all and its doing my head in!

I have recently bought a samsung sh-w163a dvd rewritet drive, heres my problem.

whenever i put an empty disc in the drive no application will read it, they all seem to stall on starting and will not finnish loading until i eject the dvd-r. it is as if it cannot decide if there is a disc there or not and so stalls until i get rid of it.

however it does recognise formated dvd-rw discs but instead of stalling it will write the lead in and then report an error before writing.

this happens with every programme i have used, the drive has the latest firmware preinstalled and i have even formated my hard drive to no avail.

the discs all seem to be fine as they write on my laptop.

Please please can someone help me!

What the heck do you expect from inserting a BLANK media??
NO drive can READ it, no app can READ it, blanks are only to be recognized by burner and apps to be burned, nothing else.

I KNOW THAT!

i mean NO BURNING APPLICATION WILL ACCEPT IT!!

nero, powerproducer, ulead, and others will all stall upon insertion of blank media for burning.

I wouldn’t deal with that much burning apps, more apps creates more issues…

Hi,

there is some possibly very important information missing in your posting:

• SATA chipset of your mainboard
  • BIOS setting of your SATA chipset
  • driver information about your SATA chipset (MS default drivers or those from manufacturer)
  • MID of the media you are using

Michael

ok i am using all manufacturer drivers, its a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR board using

Four Serial ATA ports supported by the nForce4 chip - SATA speed up to 3Gb/s - RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 0+1 - NVIDIA RAID allows RAID arrays spanning across Serial ATA and Parallel ATA

Four Serial ATA ports supported by the Silicon Image Sil 3114 chip - SATA speed up to 1.5Gb/s - RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1 and RAID 5

to be honest i have no idea which controller the dvd drive is on as i have three sata hard drives as well and there is no labeling on the inside case to show which is which controller. (will this make a difference as i can swap some cables around)

could you tell me where to find the bios setting for the sata chipset in the bios menu and what it is your specifically your after.

MID of the media? whats this (again let me know how to find it)

sorry to be such a putz normally i am damn good with pcs, built loads without any problems but sata has been giving me problems! even with the hard drives.

Thanks for your help

Okay, then you are running Nvidia controller and an additional Sil.
Next step will be to find out, what drive is connected to what chipset. Device manager or Nero InfoTool will help. Or you open your case, grab your mainboard manual and see where you connected your drives to.

to be honest i have no idea which controller the dvd drive is on as i have three sata hard drives as well and there is no labeling on the inside case to show which is which controller

The connectors are probably marked in any way. Maybe IDE0, IDE1,… SATA1, SATA2,… or similar. With the help of your motherboard manual, this will enable to identify, what drive is connected to wich controller.

could you tell me where to find the bios setting for the sata chipset in the bios menu and what it is your specifically your after.
RAID-capable Onboard controllers can either be configured as RAID or non-RAID controllers. There should be options to do so in your BIOS setup or are accessible during boot (watch for “Press key to configure…” or similar). As any mainboard is different, you have to check your manual or additional documents on your mainboard setup CD or the mainboard manufacturer’s website.
Optical drives will not work with controllers, that are set to RAID mode! This is the reason, why I asked you that question. Maybe this is the key to solve your problem.

MID of the media? whats this (again let me know how to find it)
MID is the Media ID of the disc. Together with the brand name, one can judge about the quality of the media. To find out the MID, insert the disc and run either Nero CD/DVD Speed and check the disc info tab (if you have Nero installed, you’ll find it in the Nero Toolkit folder) or DVD Identifier.

Michael

thanks michael i will begin looking at all that stuff shortly

Ok its fixed HURAH!

I switched the cable from the primary sata nforce controller to the secondary silicon image controler

I then had to go into the bios and change the silicon image control from sata 0-5 to sata only. i havent tried buring a dvd-r at 16x yet but a dvd-rw writes cleanly at 4x. so for the time being it appears as though everything is sorted!

I would like to thank michael for his help in pointing me in the right direction.

Congrats! :smiley:

Fine you got your problem solved :slight_smile:

regards,
Michael