SH-S223Q won't play some original movie DVDs

vbimport

At least, it won’t play some of them that my PS3 has no problem with. These are original DVDs, not backups.

I freely admit that this could be my error; I just built this system:

Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Media Player Classic with K-Lite Codec Pack
SH-S223Q firmware: Started with SB00, then regular SB02, then patched SB02, now SB01

When I say it won’t play, I mean the DVD spins up, sometimes it is recognized by the drive, but whether I use MPC or WMP, it gives me a black screen like it’s ALMOST gonna play, but no.

Do I simply have a FUBAR drive (now void of warranty because I patched, ha ha) or did some other proggie screw it up (AnyDvD, 1Click DVD Copy) or am I simply a moron?

Let me ask this, then:

Is there any way I can RMA this drive if I’ve patched custom firmware upon it?

Hi and Welcome![quote=Baelzar;2159089]At least, it won’t play some of them that my PS3 has no problem with. These are original DVDs, not backups.[/quote]So you can play other original discs? What is different with the discs that are playable and those which cannot be played.

Vista Home Premium [B]64-bit[/B]
Media Player Classic with K-Lite Codec Pack
I don’t like these codec packs since they often mess up Windows DirectShow engine.
You may try VLC player and see if that works for you.

Do I simply have a FUBAR drive (now void of warranty because I patched, ha ha) or did some other proggie screw it up (AnyDvD, 1Click DVD Copy) or am I simply a moron?
I don’t think your drive is defective, since you can play other discs.

[quote=Baelzar;2159384]Is there any way I can RMA this drive if I’ve patched custom firmware upon it?[/quote]No. You were informed about voiding your warranty with applying patched firmware.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2159472]So you can play other original discs? What is different with the discs that are playable and those which cannot be played.[/quote]All three of the movies play perfectly in my PS3. Only 1 out of 3 can even be recognized by my Samsung drive. It spins for minutes, and the discs are clean as a whistle.

Now, it does read some DVDs fine; my new Fallout 3 DVD for instance.

I don’t think your drive is defective, since you can play other discs.
Maybe it’s just very, very picky. I even tried another DVD player and both movies worked.
No. You were informed about voiding your warranty with applying patched firmware.
Yeah, I’m stuck with it. Too bad.

Tell me, which other writer would you suggest at this time to replace it?

Thanks for the help.

[quote=Baelzar;2159488]All three of the movies play perfectly in my PS3. Only 1 out of 3 can even be recognized by my Samsung drive. It spins for minutes, and the discs are clean as a whistle.[/quote]That means, playback isn’t possible either?

Now, it does read some DVDs fine; my new Fallout 3 DVD for instance.
Maybe it’s just very, very picky.
Or there is something wrong with your system configuration. Is there any chance to try the drive with another computer?

Tell me, which other writer would you suggest at this time to replace it?
No idea, seriously.

Michael