SH-S223Q rips super slow

vbimport

I just got a new pc, (pretty fast), with a SH-S223Q.
When I make a backup of one of my movies, it always takes about 1/2 hour.
I’m using the latest firmware from Samsung, (official).
Is there some kind of limitation in the official firmware that limits the read speed of video or something?

Thanks,

WAMozart.

Hi,[quote=Wamozart;2101777]I just got a new pc, (pretty fast), with a SH-S223Q.
When I make a backup of one of my movies, it always takes about 1/2 hour.[/quote]Is this the plain reading process or is some processing involved?

Is there some kind of limitation in the official firmware that limits the read speed of video or something?
Some drives are read speed limited by firmware. You might try the Patch Utility to see if such limitation can be lifted;) Note you’ll void your warranty then.

Michael

The 30 minutes is just the plain reading process with no compression.
When I compress an 8 GB movie to 4.7 GB with 2 passes, it takes 4 - 5 minutes tops. That is why I think there is something limiting the initial “read in” of the movie in the first place.

Thanks,

WAMozart.

I’ll download the patch utility and run that tonight when I get home from work.
Thanks!

O.K.
The patch utility does nothing without a proper .bin file for it to apply / use.
My burner is the SH-S223Q, and there are no corresponding patched firmware on codeguys website, or anywhere else I can find.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

WAMozart.

Download the firmware from Samsungs site and then extract the .bin file and flasher using a zip extractor like 7-zip or WinRAR. Then load that .bin file in the patcher and make your own firmware and save it to wherever you know where it is. Then use the flasher to flash the drive.

Make sure you download the correct firmware!

That looks much better, but I have a question about the settings in the patcher.
I am unfamiliar with “Enhanced OPC and Retain Book Type after Eject”.
Should I be selecting those?

For right now, it’s probably best to leave them as they are. :slight_smile:

Enhanced OPC will only help to increase the write quality at high speeds, and for some media at lower speeds. It won’t hurt to enable it, but it is not required.

Retain Book Type is an option to have the drive remember the book-type setting after eject, sort of a type of “set it and forget it” deal. Even if you don’t know what bitsetting/booktyping is, you may still set it. It’s not a requirement, but can be beneficial down the road.

O.K. I got the settings the way I wanted.
Saved the .bin file.
Loaded it into Samsungs flasher, (which loaded fine).
Then when I hit download, (flash), it fails with a “Flash Cmd Fail!!” message.
Any idea’s?

Thanks!

What are your system specifications? If you know it, what motherboard does your system have? And how is the 223Q connected?

I have done a bit of searching, and it may be related to me running Vista 64-bit, (thought the bit version may not matter).

I am running the following:
Asus P5E motherboard.
The 223 says its an ATA device.

I was able to originally flash it to the official samsung firmware version, but now with the modified version, using the sfdnwin utility, it fails with that message.

All I can suggest now is try TSDNWIN instead of SFDNWIN. http://club.cdfreaks.com/2062183-post55.html

[QUOTE=Albert;2103630]All I can suggest now is try TSDNWIN instead of SFDNWIN. http://club.cdfreaks.com/2062183-post55.html[/QUOTE]yep I just tried SFDNWIN with my Vi$ta Ultimate 64 bit and no go so yes use TSDNWIN which worked fine for my S223F :slight_smile: you will have to reboot.

sorry i have been working on my other machine today and it’s keeping me occupied right now :\

Awesome, that did it!
Rips are way faster, everything looks good.
Thanks a million to Albert and Teeya for their help!
You guys / gals rock.

WAMozart.

[QUOTE=Wamozart;2104130]Awesome, that did it!
Rips are way faster, everything looks good.
Thanks a million to Albert and Teeya for their help!
You guys / gals rock.

WAMozart.[/QUOTE]:clap: yeah Teeya is smart :wink: glad you got it flashed :cool: