SH-S223F SCSI Will not open/close

vbimport

[LEFT]I have a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F SCSI CdRom Device on my gaming desktop (don’t ask). The device manager states that it is working properly.

On Friday I first noticed that it wouldn’t open upon touching the eject button. The light would flash but nothing beyond that (no noise either). I visited samsungodd.com and downloaded the LiveUpdate program. Running it didn’t solve anything.

This evening I decided to do the old paper clip trick to get the tray open. The tray slides on the track smoothly. It doesn’t seem that there is anything physically wrong with it. However, now the green light won’t flash when I hit the eject button (even though it still won’t open/close without a paper clip)! The green light will only illuminate when I start my computer up. I opened my case up and saw that everything is plugged in from the 1000W PSU. No issues there.

To note, I stumbled across something posted by the user mciahel on January 15th, 2009:

"Today, I got a message from Samsung ODD support.
‘There seems to be an issue with firmware SB00 and SB01 for SH-S223F and SH-S223Q which might even cause permanent failure of the drive during operation. Therefore, it is strongly advised to flash the latest firmware SB02 (or newer if available) on these drives.’
"

Now I’m guessing that the LiveUpdate didn’t do the trick to solve my issue. Do I need to undo my firmware update with another program? I’m afraid that firmware files will conflict if I were to flash it. I know they aren’t the same thing, but I know that video card drivers have to be uninstalled before updating to new ones to avoid old files from clashing with new ones.

Sorry for the wall of text. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[/LEFT]

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=Swamped;2536683]
On Friday I first noticed that it wouldn’t open upon touching the eject button. The light would flash but nothing beyond that (no noise either). I visited samsungodd.com and downloaded the [B]LiveUpdate[/B] program. Running it didn’t solve anything. [/quote]I expected this. Such issues are unlikely be solved with a firmware update.
Please try this:
Start your computer and enter Bios setup. Then try to open the tray using the eject button. Exit Bios setup (since you didn’t change any settings, there is no need to use the “save and exit” option).
This test helps ruling out any issues with your Windows installation.

I opened my case up and saw that everything is plugged in from the 1000W PSU. No issues there.

You may try another Sata cable and connecting your drive to another power cable from your PSU.

Now I’m [B]guessing[/B] that the [B]LiveUpdate[/B] didn’t do the trick to solve my issue.
If the drive already went bad, then the firmware update won’t help.

Do I need to undo my firmware update with another program? I’m afraid that firmware files will conflict if I were to flash it. I know they aren’t the same thing, but I know that video card drivers have to be uninstalled before updating to new ones to avoid old files from clashing with new ones.
Firmware updates for an optical drive are more related to Bios updates for your motherboard than to drivers for your VGA card. You can flash an older firmware on your drive, but again I doubt this will help.

Michael

Thank you for the response! I’m going to try these steps when I get home from work tomorrow.

One important piece of information that I failed to include was the fact that I haven’t used my optical drive since a tech guy installed my Corsair PSU after my OCZ died. :doh:

Did the guy who installed my Corsair PSU make a mistake with which rails to connect?

Hi,

the design of Sata connectors is rather foolproof, so even a tech guy can’t do it wrong (normally at least). But on the other hand, the cables get loose more easily (there are Sata data cables with little clamps available).
So it is not a bad idea to check if the connectors are all properly seated.

Michael