SH-S223F and nero booktype setting

Hello everyone, the boards have been wonderful, but this is the first problem I have had that hasn’t been answered…

I have a Samsung SH-S223F, and I am using Nero 7.7.5.1. I had Windows 7 RC 7100 64 bit installed, and was able to set the booktype to DVD-ROM for my DVD+R’s. The DVD’s I burned were read as DVD-Rom. However, I recently wiped the OS and put Vista 64 bit back on. Going into Nero, I am unable to set the booktype. In the “Recorder” options, it is plainly not listed, and in the CD-DVD speed / Nero Disc speed, it says it is unable to set the bit setting.

I have also tried to change the firmware. WIN INQUIRY gives me
Drive: SATA TSSTcorpCDDVDW SSB00
Model: SATA TSSTcorpCDDVDW S
Version: SB00
OEM Code: SB

I tried three different firmware’s, but all give me that the drive is incompatible with that firmware. I had even tried extracting the exe, and loading the .bin file.

The 3 firmwares I tried are SH-S223F_SB00, SH-S223F_ST00, and SH-S223F_SB03.

If anybody knows how I could enable bit setting in Vista, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Hi and Welcome!

seems as if you had connected your drive to a Jmicron add-on controller. Correct me if I am wrong here.
Problems with bitsetting are known issues with that combination.

Your options:[ul]
[li] install latest drivers from Jmicron[/li][li] make sure the controller is configured as IDE (in Bios), then uninstall Jmicron drivers and let Windows use its own[/li][li] connect your drive to another Sata port that is not “powered by Jmicron”. No option if you have a Raid setup at that controller.[/ul][/li]
Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2273167]
Your options:[list]
[li] install latest drivers from Jmicron
[/li][/QUOTE]

In that case I wouldn’t recomment JMicron drivers at all, he should totaly remove the JMicron crap an use Microsoft standard IDE drivers for the JMicron. It’s pretty sure all problems will disappear, not only with bitsetting.

[QUOTE=BurningFish;2273189]In that case I wouldn’t recomment JMicron drivers at all,[/QUOTE]I basically agree. But I heard rumours that latest Jmicron drivers should now be working :bigsmile:

Thanks for your help so far!

I do not believe that I have a Jmicron addon controller.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. The only drivers that I have installed pertaining to this are “Gigabyte RAID configurer”, and I do not have a RAID setup. When I try to uninstall these (I should be able to, since I didn’t have them when I installed OS, got them off a CD) it says unable to because the OS is installed on the disk of the controller.

Any thoughts as to why it worked in windows 7? For windows 7 however, I did not have to use my mobo disc, my LAN worked from install.

Collin

with vista 64, ATI sb600 drivers, I am unable to use nero 7 to set my booktype with my two samsungs (SH-S223Q and SH-S203B.) With my BENQ it works. I tried with cdSpeed, Nero burning rom, Imgburn, … and it never worked! Maybe it is a problem with vista 64 and samsung???
Anyway, I used the patcher to patch one of the two samsung, and I stopped bumping my head!

Hi,[QUOTE=ConvictedFelon;2273543]
I do not believe that I have a Jmicron addon controller.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. The only drivers that I have installed pertaining to this are “Gigabyte RAID configurer”[/quote]And this [I]is [/I]a Jmicron controller.

When I try to uninstall these (I should be able to, since I didn’t have them when I installed OS, got them off a CD) it says unable to because the OS is installed on the disk of the controller.
Make sure your drives are not connected to the Gigabyte(Jmicron) controller. Please refer to the motherboard manual.

Any thoughts as to why it worked in windows 7? For windows 7 however, I did not have to use my mobo disc, my LAN worked from install.
I guess, it works with Windows standard drivers.

Basically, it is possible to reassign a driver to an existing device, but I do not know if that would work with Vista and possibly having your OS drives connected there.

Michael

[QUOTE=bichonn;2273558]with vista 64, ATI sb600 drivers, I am unable to use nero 7 to set my booktype with my two samsungs (…)With my BENQ it works. (…) Maybe it is a problem with vista 64 and samsung???[/QUOTE]Looks more like a driver problem. Your Benq is hooked to the Pata Interface which is basically operated by Windows default driver. If you have your Sata ports configured as AHCI, then the drivers you needed to install might be the culprit.
And wasn’t there some security software running amok on your system? :bigsmile:

Michael

Thankyou very much! I still couldn’t find anywhere in the manual where it listed the controller as Jmicron, but I switched it off that set, and it now works. Thanks so much for your help :slight_smile:

Collin

Hi,[QUOTE=ConvictedFelon;2273575]Thankyou very much! I still couldn’t find anywhere in the manual where it listed the controller as Jmicron,[/quote]Well, They call it Gigabyte Raid (or something like that) not mentioning Jmicron at all.:wink:

but I switched it off that set, and it now works. Thanks so much for your help :slight_smile:
You’re Welcome :slight_smile: Glad you got it sorted.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2273571]Looks more like a driver problem. Your Benq is hooked to the Pata Interface which is basically operated by Windows default driver. [B]If you have your Sata ports configured as AHCI, then the drivers you needed to install might be the culprit.[/B][B]And wasn’t there some security software running amok on your system? [/B]:bigsmile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

No I am not connected in AHCI but in Native IDE mode. I did several hardrive speed test and found that my SATA rocks only with the ATI driver. When I use the MS driver I loose some speed. That’s why I choose to patch a drive and keep the SB600 driver. It really doesn’t bother me.
As for my antivirus … maybe !!! But it does great what it is suppose to do: protect my computer! So I chose to keep it and turn around all the problems I might get. Now that I know … it is easier!

OOPS … how can I erase one post?