Sh-s203n sata to ide motherboard - possible?

Hi everyone
After a couple of days lurking in the background, doing some research on a new burner - with the information on the board here (thanks to everyone who did the testing for me) I decided on a Samsung SH-S203N. I wanted the lightscribe technology as well, for fun mainly…

My biggest issue is that i am running an older computer with no SATA connectors, just IDE. Is there such a connector out there that would go from the burner SATA connector to my IDE connector?

I had planned on pulling out my Plextor drive, I only got to burn three cds on it before it died (it does not see any disc at all, even after reinstalling it) and plugging in the Samsung in its place.

I mainly want a cd burner, for music (I am going to convert my cassettes to cd) and possibly a DVD or two.

I did try to look, didnt find anything, but is there just a device that does just the lightscribe? Like an external device of some sort? Then I could get a better burner (internal) and then just use the lightscribe when i want and being external I could put it towards the top of my desk within easy reach.

My current computer configuration (I know it is old, but still functions)
Motherboard: Intel D845EBG2
Processor: 2.67 gig
Maxtor Hard Drive 6Y080l0 (81.96GB)
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
Creative SB Audigy 2
PC2700 333mhz Ram - currently 2 512 sticks, going to upgrade to 2gig
Samsung CD-ROM SC-152A (used for general purpose)
Samsung DVD-ROM SD-816B (I dont think i have ever used it)
Plextor CD-R PX-W4824A (only got to burn a couple of times)
and so on with controllers, etc… not sure what else would be helpful

Or heavy sigh would I be better off just building a complete new machine… I have had this one since October (?) of 2002

TIA
Paul

There are such things as IDE-SATA adapters, but you would probably be better off getting a pci SATA controller card if you want to buy the Samsung dvd burner. This Rosewill card at Newegg has gotten some decent reviews, and at $20 isn’t too expensive.

That said, I believe you would do better to simply find an IDE interface burner with Lightscribe. Cheaper and fewer potential hassles. Nothing wrong with this Lite-On model for example. I would get the retail version, as I linked, so you would get the necessary software for the Lightscribe functions.

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=rasputin01;1966297
I decided on a Samsung SH-S203N. I wanted the lightscribe technology as well, for fun mainly…

My biggest issue is that i am running an older computer with no SATA connectors, just IDE. Is there such a connector out there that would go from the burner SATA connector to my IDE connector?[/quote]You need a SATA interface card, that has to be installed in a free PCI slot.
Get a card with Silicon Image 3112 or 3512 chipset. These work nicely with SATA DVD burners. Make sure, the non-RAID BIOS for that card is applied, and you’re fine.

If you want a Samsung, but installing a controller card is too difficult, then see if you can get a 202N, which is basically the same drive, but with “classic” PATA interface.

Michael

:bow:

Thanks for the help - I do appreciate it.
I believe that I am going to get the Lite-on for my machine… and the Samsung for the wifes - hehehe
I took her’s apart today, under the guise of cleaning it up and blowing out the dust bunnies, and she has one SATA connector left. It will be a nice surprise for her since she just got a new Sony “handycam” 30GB camcorder for Christmas. It’s a DCR-SR42 model - looks interesting.

Do either of you have suggestions for the type of media that is best for the liteon and the samsung? If I remember right, newegg only had Verbatims with lightscribe… I’m not against any media but with my old scuzzy 4x burner (external probably 9 years old) I only used TDKs… shame i cant use it anymore, it worked awesome with CDRWIN.

Paul

Verbatim is held in high esteem around here, so you should be fine in using their Lightscribe media. I use their regular (non-lightscribe) +R 16x in my SH-S203B with good results.