SH-S203N Reset

I have 2 problems with my new SH-S203N:

1. Problems with burning
Sometimes Nero 7.9.6.0 end with error “Reset appeared” (may be little different, I’m not using english version), sometime it burns, but it’s extremely slow (not at chosen speed), but sometime it burns normally too. I tried Nero 8, but it was the same.

2. Firmware
Everytime I try to flash firmware from SB00 to SB01, a flashing utility says that drive I’m using is not compatible with firmware downloaded. When I looked into Wininquiry.exe, I saw that OEM code is “0” instead of “SB”.
Perhaps there is the problem ?

Can anyone tell me what shall I do to burn & flash normally please ?

P.S.: Sorry for my English.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=Bloody.Rabbit;1920484]I have 2 problems with my new SH-S203N:

[B]1. Problems with burning[/B]
Sometimes Nero 7.9.6.0 end with error “Reset appeared”(…)

[B]2. Firmware
[/B]Everytime I try to flash firmware from SB00 to SB01, a flashing utility says that drive I’m using is not compatible with firmware downloaded. When I looked into Wininquiry.exe, I saw that OEM code is “0” instead of “SB”.
Perhaps there is the problem ?[/quote]:iagree: This is a known issue with some SATA controllers. See also the FAQ about this please (link in my signature).
Please tell us, what SATA controller you are using and what operating mode (RAID, AHCI, etc) is set.

Can anyone tell me what shall I do to burn & flash normally please ?
Either flash in another computer with Intel SATA chipset or install a Silicon Image based SATA card running non-RAID firmware.

Michael

I’m using Asus A7V880 motherboard, where is SATA controller integrated in South-Bridge VT8237. I read FAQ and suppose there is the problem :slight_smile: Flashing firmware will solve that burning issue too ? Thank you for helping me.

Hi,[QUOTE=Bloody.Rabbit;1921322]I’m using Asus A7V880 motherboard, where is SATA controller integrated in South-Bridge VT8237. I read FAQ and suppose there is the problem :)[/quote]The only thing you can try to improve normal operation would be this:

[ul][li]make sure, your SATA controller is not set to RAID in BIOS. Proper setting should be something like “IDE” or “SATA” or how Asus called this.[/li][li]install latest VIA Hyperion drivers (but don’t install the PATA driver that is also offered during installation)[/ul][/li]If this does not help, then you’ll need to install a PCI SATA card (Silicon Image chipset and non-RAID firmware)

Flashing firmware will solve that burning issue too ?
Unfortunately not. Also you need another computer with a more compatible SATA chipset to flash firmware. I would not take the risk of a forced flash, since there are communication issues with the SATA chipset.
Thank you for helping me.
You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Michael

Well, at least - thank you very much.

I looked through my BIOS and MB manual, but I didn’t find any switch controlling mode of SATA controller. I’ve downloaded latest VIA drivers before creating this thread, so it didn’t help at all.

As I’m not going to buy an additional PCI card or change mainboard, I will ask my reseller for change my SH-S203N to S202N - this should fix both of my problems.

Hi,[QUOTE=Bloody.Rabbit;1921348]I looked through my BIOS and MB manual, but I didn’t find any switch controlling mode of SATA controller.[/quote]does the controller appear in device manager under SCSI or RAID controllers? If I remember correctly, then the controller running in non-RAID mode is shown as IDE controller in device manager.

EDIT: I just had a look into the manual. Maybe you try playing with the VIA SATA RAID Boot ROM option (page 2-17 of the manual).

I’ve downloaded latest VIA drivers before creating this thread, so it didn’t help at all.
Ok. Do you remember if there was some RAID related driver installed?

As I’m not going to buy an additional PCI card or change mainboard, I will ask my reseller for change my SH-S203N to S202N - this should fix both of my problems.
I wouldn’t change the mainboard either. So replacing the by the PATA version is the only option apart from the PCI controller you don’t want to have.

Michael

Hi, I tried to play with VIA SATA Boot ROM, but it doesn’t affect drive at all.

To the drivers - I had to download that driver separately, because VIA Hyperion Package installer reported that it was downloaded badly (as I remember well, it reported “Some important files of this installer are missing or corrupted”), even if I downloaded it twice. I downloaded VIA Falcon Driver (http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=467&P=3) and it was installed succesfully, but - as I said - didn’t affect drive at all too.

So if I’m not mistaken, replacing by the PATA version is the only complete solution for me, isn’t it ?

Hi,[QUOTE=Bloody.Rabbit;1921620]
To the drivers - I had to download that driver separately, because VIA Hyperion Package installer reported that it was downloaded badly (as I remember well, it reported “Some important files of this installer are missing or corrupted”), even if I downloaded it twice.[/quote]Then there is something wrong. You should also test your RAM with MEMTEST.

I downloaded VIA Falcon Driver and it was installed succesfully, but - as I said - didn’t affect drive at all too.
Then your controller is apparently not set to RAID, which is good.

So if I’m not mistaken, replacing by the PATA version is the only complete solution for me, isn’t it ?
:iagree: Since you don’t want to use an additional controller, the PATA version is your only option then.

Michael