SH-S203N - poor burns

vbimport

Hi, I´ve read through this tread a few times now and it seems that you guys dont seem to have any of the problems that I have experienced. I had a Samsung SH-S203B at first but returned it because it seemed to have problems burning whatever I threw at it.
I got a 203N instead but I am not very happy with it. (SB01 firmware)

The problems are that no matter how I try to burn movies (Not copyrighted ones) I end up most of the time with a coaster.
I have been trying different programs like Nero Micro 8, Imgburn and Ashampoo Burning Studio 7.21. Ashampoo doesnt report any of the discs as failed ones even if I verify them (Read in info of program that It DOESNT report errors) but Imgburn didnt report either that a disc didnt work. Alot of the time it seems like the errors (picture and audio stops working correctly) are at the end of the discs and sometimes not only there.

If I burn copies of my homerecorded movies (Recorded with own camera) to friends I dont want to have to view each disc every time I want to share them.

I have used different DVD-R media like Princo, Verbatim (TYG03) and Infinity 16x full face printable 25pcs spindle (I have NEVER had any good luck with full face printables no matter brand/price) with the same results.
But not every disc seems to have that problem either. Some work without any noticeable problem.

I always do full defragmentation before I attempt burns and I disconnect from the internet and close all internet windows and MSN/ICQ and I burn at 4x speed but STILL I have issues.
Oh, and I checked in my bios and I do not have Raid enabled.

Can anyone help me? Im getting very depressed about this since I dont handle setbacks very well :frowning: (Got OCD)

Please help me, I am willing to post burn infos if you let me know how to do so.

Hi and Welcome![quote=majty;2033315]
I got a 203N instead but I am not very happy with it. (SB01 firmware)

The problems are that no matter how I try to burn movies ([U]Not [/U]copyrighted ones) I end up most of the time with a coaster.
I have been trying different programs like Nero Micro 8, Imgburn and Ashampoo Burning Studio 7.21. Ashampoo doesnt report any of the discs as failed ones even if I verify them (Read in info of program that It DOESNT report errors) but Imgburn didnt report either that a disc didnt work. Alot of the time it seems like the errors (picture and audio stops working correctly) are at the end of the discs and sometimes not only there.[/quote]This indicates, that the error correction of this drive is better than those of your standalone player.
So the burns are not good enough for your player.

I have used different DVD-R media like Princo, Verbatim (TYG03) and Infinity 16x full face printable 25pcs spindle (I have NEVER had any good luck with full face printables no matter brand/price) with the same results.
But not every disc seems to have that problem either. Some work without any noticeable problem.
And this is interesting. You Samsung is able to do some kind of “quality check” with Nero CD/DVD Speed (please read the FAQ for the needed registry tweaks). Scanning speed should be set to 8x. Maybe a scan of a disc that is working, and one of a disc, that does not work will help with troubleshooting.

I burn at 4x speed but [B]STILL[/B] I have issues.
With modern 16x rated media, the quality at 4x is often worse than at 12x or 8x. So you might try an 8x and an 12x burn.

Oh, and I checked in my bios and I do not have Raid enabled.
It might be important to know the Sata controller you are using, and what exact setting is done in BIOS setup. There are some Sata controllers, that don’t support optical drives properly, also some BIOS setting different from “IDE compatible” (or similar) might still not be good enough to run a DVD burner.

Michael

P.S.: I moved your post to a new thread, this should help getting more answers.

Hi and thank you for the welcome and the movement of the thread, it is appreciated.

I have done a 8x burn 3 times today and it seems to work fine then. Thanks for giving me a heads up on the 4x on 16x issue, I had no idea. I thought that slower speed meant better results.
Thats what I learned along time ago when there was no such thing as a DVD at all :slight_smile:

I cant seem to find anything about registry tweaks when Im searching at the FAQ that is above on the purple/blue bar.
Please give me a direct link to where I can find it.

The Sata controller, hm… THIS is my motherboard, does that help to figure out what SATA controller it is?

PS.My name is also Michael :smiley:

Hi,[quote=majty;2033611]Hi and thank you for the welcome and the movement of the thread, it is appreciated.[/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

I have done a 8x burn 3 times today and it seems to work fine then. Thanks for giving me a heads up on the 4x on 16x issue, I had no idea. I thought that slower speed meant better results.
Thats what I learned along time ago when there was no such thing as a DVD at all :slight_smile:
This sounds good. Seems, you got it sorted :slight_smile:

I cant seem to find anything about registry tweaks when Im searching at the FAQ that is above on the purple/blue bar.
Please give me a direct link to where I can find it.
Just check my signature :wink:

The Sata controller, hm… THIS is my motherboard, does that help to figure out what SATA controller it is?
Yes, this information is helpful. Nforce 4. There are two things to try:

1. Try Windows default drivers instead of the Nvidia Sata/IDE drivers. To do so, run the Nvidia installer from Control Panel->Add/Remove Software. It should offer you some kind of maintenance mode where you could add or remove single components of the drivers package. Make sure, your Sata controller is configured as IDE in BIOS before doing so.

[B]OR[/B]

1. Get latest Nforce 4 chipset drivers from Nvidia.com and install them.

Some users had better experience with #1, some others had issues and were fine with #2, so there is no recommendation from me here. But you can try #1 at first, and this doesn’t work for you, try #2 then by just (re)installing the latest drivers.

PS.My name is also Michael :smiley:
:slight_smile:

Cheers,
Michael (also :bigsmile:)

Did another burn now. This time from a Video_Ts folder and not a iso. Didnt work very well.

00:27:39: Preparation started
00:27:39: Starting track analysis
00:27:39: Track analysis completed successfully
00:27:39: Preparation completed successfully
00:27:40: Recording at 8x in disc at once mode. The recorded DVD will be finalized.
00:27:40: Pre-buffering data…
00:27:43: Prebuffering completed.
00:27:43: Recording DVD
00:27:43: Writing lead-in of session 1
00:27:43: Writing data
00:35:46: Writing lead-out
00:36:03: Average write-speed: 9384 KB/s or 6.8x.
00:36:03: DVD recording completed
00:36:06: Verification started… this may take several minutes
00:41:15: Could not read from disc. (Sector 2235648)
00:41:24: Could not read from disc. (Sector 2235648)
00:41:33: Could not read from disc. (Sector 2235648)
00:41:57: Could not read from disc. (Sector 2235648)
00:42:09: Could not read from disc. (Sector 2235648)
00:42:17: Could not read from disc. (Sector 2235648)
00:42:17: Verification failed!

And something came up that said that there could be a dvd disc compability problem. Suggestions??
Im dont know what to think of this…Is it the burner or the discs?

Hi,

[quote=majty;2033644]Did another burn now. This time from a Video_Ts folder and not a iso. Didnt work very well.
(…)
00:42:17: Verification failed![/quote]Not good. What media were you using? The full log from ImgBurn should contain that information - and perhaps some additional hints.

And something came up that said that there could be a dvd disc compability problem. Suggestions??
No idea at the moment. Perhaps the wrong disc format has been chosen.

Im dont know what to think of this…Is it the burner or the discs?
What discs? Also, have you tried changing the chipset drivers yet? Also some scans might really be useful.

To sort out a bad drive, you should try it in another computer if possible.

Michael

[quote=mciahel;2033969]Hi,
Not good. What media were you using? The full log from ImgBurn should contain that information - and perhaps some additional hints.

No idea at the moment. Perhaps the wrong disc format has been chosen.
What discs? Also, have you tried changing the chipset drivers yet? Also some scans might really be useful.

To sort out a bad drive, you should try it in another computer if possible.

Michael[/quote]

Media used this time was Infinity 16x Full face printable DVD-R MCC03RG20.
Program used was Ashampoo Burning Studio 7.21. Did the burn with Nvidas Sata driver. After burn I uninstalled the driver and I am now using the Win XP driver instead. Will try burning again in a few minutes.
I also got 4x media which I have burned at 4x but I still get alot of coasters even with them. I didnt have this much problems with my Liteon 1633S IDE burner (it gave up after about 600+ burns) so I got a SH-S203B but I had these problems with that drive also and returned it and got this S203N instead.
Im now thinking that it could be some sort of Sata issue. ´

But Im going to do another burn and see what happens.
I more or less get failed burns alot more with Imgburn, dont know why. Maybe it was because of the Nvidia drivers. Will try Imgburn this time.

I will report back when I have checked the disc competely (Only way to see if its ok is to view it on my standalone dvd and that takes 1,5-2h).

//Mike

Hi,[quote=majty;2034068]Media used this time was Infinity 16x Full face printable DVD-R MCC03RG20.[/quote]Normally, this is good stuff.

I will report back when I have checked the disc competely (Only way to see if its ok is to view it on my standalone dvd and that takes 1,5-2h).
Just an idea: Run Nero CD/DVD speed and do the Benchmark test. On a good disc, the reading curve should be smooth without any slowdowns.

Michael

[quote=mciahel;2034218]Hi,Normally, this is good stuff.
Just an idea: Run Nero CD/DVD speed and do the Benchmark test. On a good disc, the reading curve should be smooth without any slowdowns.

Michael[/quote]

Hi again

I have not checked the newly burned disc yet but I have noticed a difference in my computers behavior after removal of Nvidas Sata driver.
I no longer get glitches in music/video when I start Speedfan (temp monitoring program) and Diablo 2 seems to run a bit more smoothly.

I will try a few more Infiniti discs tomorrow to see if I get that Incompatible message again.
Oh, and if the disc I burned earlier today works I will take your advice and run that program and then post the result here for all to see.
Thanks again very very [B]VERY[/B] much for all your assistance. :bow:
It is appreciated.

Could not read from disc. ([B]Sector 2235648[/B])*
Verification error appears at end of disc. Most probably due to bad quality (or faulty) media.
Sector 2235648 corresponds to ~ 4400MB.

[quote=pinto2;2034308]Verification error appears at end of disc. Most probably due to bad quality (or faulty) media.
Sector 2235648 corresponds to ~ 4400MB.[/quote]

Ah, so then it might be the media after all…

I did some scans of benchmark and a simulated burn in CD/DVD speed.

I will now try to burn another dvd with these Infiniti.
Will let you guys know it turned out tomorrow.

Sounds good.

Just a note: you can adjust the scale in CD/DVD Speed, so you can also see if something strange happens at speeds faster than 16x. Have a look into the CD/DVD Speed User’s Guide. :slight_smile:

Michael

Did one burn @ 12x on my Infiniti and it worked fine. Will try a few more and then report back.
Btw, removal of Nvidias Sata driver seems to have caused my video/audio to studder every now and then. Its like its slowed down. Not like a glitch.

run [B]dxdiag[/B] from the commandline, makes some checks.

majty, slower burn speed might be the way to go. :iagree:

[I]Off topic.[/I][QUOTE=chef;2035593]run [B]dxdiag[/B] from the commandline, makes some checks.[/QUOTE]Members not that knowledged as chef, heh…
This is the crap DirectX command M$ OS’s are used* to diagnoze installed “media” drivers. :wink:
Linky

• Note, still working with XP although originally designed up to win2k.

It is a start. :wink:

My latest burn on a Infiniti seemed to work without problems but then I noticed on my receiver that it didnt get the audio signal for a short second, rewinded and saw the same part of the dvd 3 more times without it appearing again. Dont know if the dvd was poorly burned or if my dvd player needs to be cleaned. I still dont feel like Im out of the woods yet so I´ll post again on a new burn. Making one later today.

Offtopic. Dxdiag didnt detect any problems. Reinstalled audio driver and seems to work ok for the moment atleast.

[QUOTE=majty;2036350]… but then I noticed on my receiver that it didnt get the audio signal for a short second, rewinded and saw the same part of the dvd 3 more times without it appearing again. Dont know if the dvd was poorly burned or if my dvd player needs to be cleaned…[/QUOTE]This most probably depending on the original compilation and/or files, with some apps you can get a short sound delay. [Most apps though have a setting you can adjust for this.]

No need for any “lens” cleaner, ie. lens damager, although this action is recommended frequently by a few members here. :disagree:

Lycka till. :smiley:

Hi guys, the removal of Nvidas sata drivers seems to have done the trick. No coasters yet.
Thanks mciahel and all the rest of you :slight_smile: