SH-S203N Face plate

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I bought this drive (oem) a week or two ago from newegg. Does it matter if the face plate is different from the pictures on the internet? It doesn’t say Samsung.

No, the faceplate shouldn’t matter, just make sure it’s identified in the computer as a S203N (even though you indicated S202N). Samsung has been known to have different engravings on the faceplate.

I swear I thought I selected S203N. I can’t edit it anymore.

It’s identified as SH-S203N. I should also mention that the actual face plate is different. No round button. It’s a long rounded button.

But I guess this doesn’t really matter.

Hiand Welcome!,[quote=lunkhead2;2211437]I swear I thought I selected S203N. I can’t edit it anymore.[/quote]Fixed :).
You started from the drives database. Well, it doesn’t matter either since the faceplates are normally the same with all Samsung drives within one series.
My retail SH-S182D came with 3 faceplates: a beige one with all logos, the black and the silver ones were plain without any print on it. I installed the beige faceplate on my 203B :slight_smile:

It’s identified as SH-S203N. I should also mention that the actual face plate is different. No round button. It’s a long rounded button.
This is interesting. Could you post a photo of your faceplate?

Michael

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7397/spga0112bw0.jpg
Compact Disc Rewriteable Ultra Speed +; lightscribe; DVD Multi Recorder R DL; and RW DVD+R DL.

I only had my cell nearby.

Before installing, I noticed some scrap marks on the bottom of the face plate as if the drive or face plate was used before, or maybe samsung was doing some basic testing or whatever. I also noticed that it looked like a sticker was placed over a peeled sticker (glue residue).

If I recall this drive was introduced in ~2007. So I thought it was a bit questionable that newegg still had these drives when I bought one. I bought it based on the review here for the s203b. I’m not familiar with the current “best” drive and whatnot.

The picture doesn’t resemble a Samsung at all since the LED indicator is in the wrong position. Here is what it should look like.

So is the position of the LED a sure sign that I didn’t get what I paid for?

Hi,[quote=lunkhead2;2212147]So is the position of the LED a sure sign that I didn’t get what I paid for?[/quote]
At least it is very strange. Moving the LED to another place is causing additional cost for the manufacturer, so its position is normally not changed.

Please run wininquiry from Samsung ODD support (see FAQ for link) and post the output here.
You might also look at the sticker on top of the drive to confirm, it is what you have bought.

Michael

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/3559/37420585rq0.png

Hi,[quote=lunkhead2;2212585]http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/3559/37420585rq0.png[/quote]you can attach such screenshots directly. See my signature for details.
At least your drive is correctly identified.
But I still wonder about this very strange faceplate. Looks like a mixture of Samsung and Liteon :confused:
Let’s hope, you didn’t get a used drive that has been “modded” by someone else :eek:

[QUOTE=KTL;2212067]The picture doesn’t resemble a Samsung at all since the LED indicator is in the wrong position. Here is what it should look like.[/QUOTE]

The picture he posted is the faceplate for the TS-H653N, not the SH-S203N. It’s the same drive, but the firmware and faceplates are different. I’m not sure if a TS-H653N identifies itself as an SH-S203N out of the box. If it doesn’t, then what you got is a drive that someone had already cross-flashed and returned.

What does the label on the drive say? And do you have a better camera? Your photos are blurry, too dark, and hard to read.

Hi,[quote=negritude;2213761]The picture he posted is the faceplate for the TS-H653N, not the SH-S203N.[/quote]:iagree: At least the picture from Newegg looks the same. But I still wonder why they have placed the LED at a different location :confused:

It’s the same drive, but the firmware and faceplates are different.
I am not sure if that faceplate thingy applies to all flavours of the 653N.
I’m not sure if a TS-H653N identifies itself as an SH-S203N out of the box.
It depends. Drives from Dell, HP etc. will identify themselves as TS-H653N. But this must not necessarily apply to all OEM versions of this drive.

If it doesn’t, then what you got is a drive that someone had already cross-flashed and returned.
Not impossible.

Michael

Indeed, as shown here. Strange that the LED placement is different, unless there’s a clear plastic behind the faceplate that run across from right to left.

I agree that it’s possible someone bought it as a 653N, but returned it as 203N, so perhaps when NE was checking to make sure it’s operational, it registered as a 203N, thus, it was tossed into that bin.

face plate:

label with interesting scratch below it:

sticker over peeled off sticker?:

I’m not too worried about this anymore. I’ve ordered and received an Optiarc AD-7201S. I still have the s203n. newegg refunded the cost and allowed me to keep it as well.

Seeing how that sticker says December 2008, which is super-recent, it could be that Samsung made some changes to the drive, and that faceplate is now normal. Or maybe this was a one-time thing done at the factory, where they had a drive that was going to be an H653N, but then they decided to make it a 203N instead. Like you said, you got your money back, so we can just file this away for future reference.

[QUOTE=lunkhead2;2214206]label with interesting scratch below it:
[/QUOTE]Scratches like that a lot of times are caused by the path of the steel coil and or in the progressive stamper die in the automated press.