SH-S203N Constants burn errors

I have a SH-S203N and receive constant burn errors. Im burning DVD+R DL Memorexes. Dont try to tell me I need better media because i have coastered about 6/8 discs, yet my friend has not had a single burn error over about 9 burns with the same discs. I have the latest firmware. Is my drive just broken? can i fix this? Is this drive always terrible? Or am i just very unlucky…

-Charles

Unless your friend has the exact same drive, you cannot easily discount the discs as being crud, or say the drive is being picky.

The only drives that could probably handle these are Pioneer drives, and they don’t even handle them terribly well.

You should definitely switch media to try and troubleshoot. Let your friend have the Memorex, and you get some Verbatim, maybe. :slight_smile:

Alright, I was going to get some verbatims. Btw i referenced my friend because he has a much more costly drive than me, i didnt even realize it would make a difference when i bought my drive, so I was really just wondering that. Im going to get a 20 pack of verbatims off newegg and see how those fare.
Thank you.

-Charles

Sounds like a solid plan.

[QUOTE=adultswim810;2440529]I have a SH-S203N and receive constant burn errors. Im burning DVD+R DL Memorexes. Dont try to tell me I need better media because i have coastered about 6/8 discs, [B]yet my friend has not had a single burn error over about 9 burns [U]with the same discs[/U].[/B] I have the latest firmware. Is my drive just broken? can i fix this? Is this drive always terrible? Or am i just very unlucky…

-Charles[/QUOTE]

That is illogical, these are WORM discs - you may meant “same brand” …

Ive gone through about 25 verbatims and ive coastered about 6, is that normal, or is there a problem? Most of the time there is no feedback in the imgburn log, write rate just drops to 0.

also i cant open firefox, cancel the burn, or eject the disc until i restart.

Hi,[QUOTE=adultswim810;2460827]Ive gone through about 25 verbatims and ive coastered about 6, is that normal, or is there a problem?[/quote]I wouldn’t consider this as normal.

Most of the time there is no feedback in the imgburn log, write rate just drops to 0.
:confused: Could be interface issues (we need some information about the Sata controllers then) ora bad drive. Is there any opportunity to try the drive in another computer?

Michael

its plugged directly into my nforce 520-a2 mobo, what specific info would be helpful? Also, i have not tried it in another computer, if that could shed some light on this then i would gladly.

Hi,[QUOTE=adultswim810;2461127]its plugged directly into my nforce 520-a2 mobo,[/quote]Nforce isn’t always trouble-free.

what specific info would be helpful?
I’d like to know the operation mode the controller is set to in Bios. My personal favourite is “IDE”, but this might not be a good idea if there is a Raid attached.
Also, i have not tried it in another computer, if that could shed some light on this then i would gladly.
Trying the drive with another computer is the way to sort out a bad drive or something wrong with the computer.

Apart from that, I would try:

[ul]
[li] uninstalling Nvidia Sata drivers (in case the controller is configured as IDE) and use Windows default drivers instead
[/li][li] installing latest chipset driver from Nvidia website.
[/li][li] connecting the drive to another cable from the PSU
[/li][li] trying another Sata cable
[/li][li] if there is a secon optical drive installed, a live LInux disc would be helpful to sort out Windows and driver related issues.
[/li][/ul]

Michael