SH-S203D doesn't erase dvd+rw

My samsung SH-S203D has problems erasing dvd+rw and cd-rw.

It can burn dvd+rw and cd-rw but when I try to erase the same disc the message “Sorry, your compilation cannot be written on this kind of disc” appears.

I’m using philips cd-rw and dvd+rw media for rewriting. This always worked well with my various NEC burners. The dvd+rw’s are about 3 months old, the cd-rw is two years old. The samsung was actually able to erase a slow 7 year old slow nashua rewritable so it’s apparently a media incompatibility problem.

I guess I should have stayed with nec because I think it’s pretty sad the samsung cannot erase rewritable media it just burned. The firmware version is SB00 which, according to the samsung site, is the latest.
Are there any tricks to force the burner to erasing?

MID information shown using the samsung 203D

Philips cd-rw 720MB

Manufacturer CMC Magnetics
Code 97m26s65f
Disc Type HighSpeed CD-RW
Usage General
Recording Speed 4X - 10X
Capacity 703 MB

Philips dvd+rw 4.7 GB

Manufacturer
Disc Type DVD-ROM
Recording Speed 2.4X - 4X

MID information shown using the NEC 3520aw

Philips cd-rw 720MB

Manufacturer CMC Magnetics
Code 97m26s65f
Disc Type HighSpeed CD-RW
Usage General
Recording Speed 4X - 10X
Capacity 703 MB

Philips dvd+rw 4.7 GB

Manufacturer Infodisc a10
Disc Type DVD+RW
Recording Speed 2.4X - 4X

[QUOTE=eisbaer;1959675]My samsung SH-S203D has problems erasing dvd+rw and cd-rw.

It can burn dvd+rw and cd-rw but when I try to erase the same disc the message “Sorry, your compilation cannot be written on this kind of disc” appears.

I’m using philips cd-rw and dvd+rw media for rewriting. This always worked well with my various NEC burners. The dvd+rw’s are about 3 months old, the cd-rw is two years old. The samsung was actually able to erase a slow 7 year old slow nashua rewritable so it’s apparently a media incompatibility problem.

[B]Philips dvd+rw 4.7 GB

Manufacturer
Disc Type DVD-ROM
Recording Speed 2.4X - 4X[/B][/QUOTE]

That is exactly why bitsetting DVD+RW media is NOT RECOMMENDED!!!
Also, as you can see, obviously the Samsung confuses Disctype with booktype!

FULL format the DVD+RW or try to set the booktype back to normal!

Tried that. Both full format and booktype don’t work. That is, in nero the booktype can be changed but then nero popups with “booktype changed” and the setting jumps back to dvd-rom.
I read in another thread that it might be a compatibility issue between the samsung burner and the jmicron JMB36x chipset.

Do you by any chance have Alcohol or Daemon Tools installed? :slight_smile:

Also, you don’t say what software you’re using to format (unless I missed it), but ImgBurn often works where something like Nero fails.

Not sure if this applies here as I have a 203b.

I am using Nero 7.10.1.0.

I just erased (and then burned using convertxtodvd) a couple DVD+RW yesterday using nero express and quick erase with no problems.

@roadhog32901
What media did you use and which motherboard?

The software I’m using is:
Nero 8.2.8 with the setting Nero burning rom - Choose recorder - Options - Booktype
Alcohol120% v1.9.5 build 4327
And after Arachnes suggestion Imgburn 2.3.2 Tools - Drive - Set booktype
Imgburn actually states it is erasing and the light on the drive is flashing but after the operation the status is ‘Not empty’

All the programs give the same result. A dvd+rw that can’t be erased by the 203D.
A blank philips dvd+rw can be erased just fine. But the samsung sets, even after an erase, the booktype to dvd-rom and then doesn’t recognise the media any more as rewritable. The burningprogram(s) don’t seem able to override this.

I’m gonna put all the dvd+rw’s in my nec to make them usable again and then contact samsung about this problem. It’s too bad that I have difficulty letting this go cause getting another 25 euro sata burner that does work would save me lots of time.

Hi,QUOTE=eisbaer;1959872
I read in another thread that it might be a compatibility issue between the samsung burner and the jmicron JMB36x chipset.[/QUOTE]Any other SATA controller available? Intel?
Bitsetting issues are also reported with VIA SATA chipsets, so this might indeed be the source of your problem.

[QUOTE=eisbaer;1960064]
The software I’m using is:
(…)
[I]Alcohol120% v1.9.5 build 4327[/I]
And after Arachnes suggestion[/quote]She thought about a setting in Alcohol preventing other software to deal with certain media. Often rewriteable discs are affected.

It’s too bad that I have difficulty letting this go cause getting another 25 euro sata burner that does work would save me lots of time.
Since either some piece of software or a crappy controller seems to be the culprit, blaming the drive and its manufacturer isn’t an option.

Michael

[I]EDIT[/I]
similar problem shown here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s183a-unable-erase-cd-rws-dvd-rws-228044/

[QUOTE=mciahel;1960071]Since either some piece of software or a crappy controller seems to be the culprit, blaming the drive and its manufacturer isn’t an option.

Michael[/QUOTE]

If the booktype is set to dvd+rw the drive does erase. If the booktype is set to dvd-rom it doesn’t. My nec drive does recognize and erase rewritable media with booktype dvd-rom. The way I picture the process is that the software sends the erase command (with parameter full or fast) via the controller to the drive and then the drive is on it’s own. The drive then seems to be unable to determine what kind of media it’s dealing with.

Offcourse the best way is to test with different setups but unfortunately I don’t have other sata drives or controllers right now.

[edit] Thx for the link. I’ll read that thread.

That’s a great link :slight_smile:
As I don’t have daemon tools I looked for the “it hides the fact that a disc is writeable, so you can play your backed-up games/software without it knowing it’s not the original disc” option in alcolhol120%.
Found it at Options - Burn - Emulation. The “Neglect media type” had to be checked out.
It’s erasing great now. I’m very happy.

(Although I still think the drive should erase regardless of the Neglect setting).

Hi,[QUOTE=eisbaer;1960154]That’s a great link :slight_smile:
(…)
It’s erasing great now. I’m very happy.[/quote]Glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

(Although I still think the drive should erase regardless of the Neglect setting).
Well, the driver (or resident software) installed by Alcohol or Daemon tools prevents exactly this… Some call it a bug, for others, this is a feature.

Michael

[QUOTE=eisbaer;1960142]If the booktype is set to dvd+rw the drive does erase. If the booktype is set to dvd-rom it doesn’t…[/QUOTE]That’s complete nonsense. Sammy S203* drives have no problem to erase +RW media no matter what booktype. Erase commands are generic and in no way related to burner you use. Also, I’ve hard to believe compus chipset has anything to do with it at all.

Sometimes the problem is to change burned discs booktype back to +RW (no problem in Nero 6.xxxx though), but this is another issu not related to topic.

[QUOTE=eisbaer;1960154]That’s a great link :slight_smile:
As I don’t have daemon tools I looked for the “it hides the fact that a disc is writeable, so you can play your backed-up games/software without it knowing it’s not the original disc” option in alcolhol120%.
Found it at Options - Burn - Emulation. The “Neglect media type” had to be checked out.
It’s erasing great now. I’m very happy.

(Although I still think the drive should erase regardless of the Neglect setting).[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling emulation software was involved somewhere. :wink:

Glad it’s sorted.