SH-S203B won't read/recognize DVD+RW

Hi all - first post, and immediately with a weird problem sigh.

I got my SH-S203B two months ago, burned single layer +R’s and CDs - everything’s working like a charm so far (haven’t tried DL DVD+R so far).

There were no problems on the reading front, either - it even read some really old scratched CD-R’s (must be 6+ years old, I’d wager).

Today I put in some DVD+RWs I burned some time ago on a NEC 1300A (bitset to DVD-ROM, although I don’t think that should matter), and the drive won’t recognize them at all - it just keeps spinning up and slowing down continuously. The media play all right in my standalone DVD-Player, they are two different brands, although I can obviously not access the disc ID under XP.

Again - other discs burned with the old NEC work just fine.

Any thoughts?

System Info:
XP SP2, up to date
Gigabyte DS3 mobo -> ICH9, using SATA in Native IDE mode (have tried Legacy as well), ACHI disabled
Writer is configured as master on secondary SATA port
SB01 Firmware (updated from SB0, no change)

Hi and Welcome,

do you have Alcohol Software installed? If so, then check the options of that software (something like “hide media” has to be unchecked).

Michael

@Michael:

no Alcohol, had an old version of Daemon Tools, but de-installed it - no change. Besides, from reading about this particular problem, I got the impression that it would affect all media, i.e. CD/DVD-xx as well, wouldn’t it?

didn’t alot of the software back in the days have this little program that turned your +RW’s into virtual floppys/hard drives? maybe thats what you did with these disks? because i also thought I remember the warning with that program and it said they wouldn’t be easily read in other drives or something along those lines.

I would try some new +RW’s, or at the least format one of the ones you got in your old nec and then try it again in your 203b

[QUOTE=Be4st;1932539]Hi all - first post, and immediately with a weird problem sigh.

I got my SH-S203B two months ago, burned single layer +R’s and CDs - everything’s working like a charm so far (haven’t tried DL DVD+R so far).

There were no problems on the reading front, either - it even read some really old scratched CD-R’s (must be 6+ years old, I’d wager).

Today I put in some DVD+RWs I burned some time ago on a NEC 1300A (bitset to DVD-ROM, although I don’t think that should matter), [B]and the drive won’t recognize them at all - it just keeps spinning up and slowing down continuously.[/B] The media play all right in my standalone DVD-Player, they are two different brands, although I can obviously not access the disc ID under XP.

Again - other discs burned with the old NEC work just fine.

Any thoughts?

System Info:
XP SP2, up to date
Gigabyte DS3 mobo -> ICH9, using SATA in Native IDE mode (have tried Legacy as well), ACHI disabled
Writer is configured as master on secondary SATA port
SB01 Firmware (updated from SB0, no change)[/QUOTE]

That is exactly why RW shouldnt set to DVD-ROM booktype!!!

Really? I didn’t have problems with the NEC, and my standalone wouldn’t play them otherwise… maybe I still have an unformatted one sitting around somewhere, let’s see…

OKay, thanks all - it really seems to be related to the booktype, because the disc won’t play in my laptop either.

Bought some new RWs today, and they work fine. I still wonder why my old NEC drive wrote, read, and rewrote them like a charm. Ah well…

Normally DVD+RW disc booktype can be changed after burn. Apparently not on S203* drives because I’ve exactly the same problem when trying to change discs booktype with Nero or ImgBurn.
Haven’t tried the latest DVDInfoPro but my 1y old copy doesn’t work either, not even when ful format.