SH-S203B - Which PCI Card

Hello all - just wondered if I could get a little help with the purchase of a SATA PCI card for one of these drives.

I am currently running a MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR M/Board which I believe has a Promise 20376 SATA interface supporting 2 X SATA ports.

At present both are being used by Hard drives, one for XP and general use, the second for storage. I have already been looking to purchase a SATA controller card as I would ideally like to connect another hard drive (to act as a ‘backup’ for my original storage drive just in case it fails) and, given that some of my DVD drives are now quite old it would also seem a good time to purchase a new burner. (I have considered a couple of other IDE drives but, given the results from the Samsung, this would be my preference).

I would ideally like a 4 port card which would leave 2 spare for future drive additions and from reading a few threads Silicon Image cards using ‘base bios’ without raid would seem the favourite.

The card would be purchased in the UK and after considering a few options I was hoping this would be OK:- http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3Z2Q&CategorySelectedId=11141&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11141,47480000 (Although the chip is not stated by the seller the reviews suggest it is a sil3112). My only concern is that when checking which cards people are using the sil3512 chip seems quite common.

Any advice would be really appreciated, especailly if it include details of which sil chip is prefered and / or details of any other 4 port SATA cards available in the UK which are already being used with the drive. (If 4 port cards are not an option advice on a 2 port card would also be helpful).

That pci sata controller card w/the 3112/3114 chipset should be fine. :wink:

Hi :slight_smile:
It will be OK.
I have used both the 3512 & 3114.
Currently running the 3114. (In essence the same as the 3112).
All you have to remember is that the bios may have have to be flashed. To BASE BIOS or NON-RAID.
Then the driver suitable for CD/DVDRW can be loaded.

Thanks for your help :flower:

Just need to wait for it to be back in stock - the site states 3-4 weeks !!!

[quote=zebadee;1977372]All you have to remember is that the bios may have have to be flashed. To BASE BIOS or NON-RAID.
Then the driver suitable for CD/DVDRW can be loaded.[/quote]

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I need similar help. I’m hoping to order an S203N but also need a SATA PCI (not Express and non-RAID) controller. Can you give me some instructions on where to get which firmware and how to flash the controller to BASE BIOS? The controller will be SiL3512-based. I can find a ton of them, but they all include RAID functionality which I don’t need or want.

Thanks.

Ray

Go here and select the proper card. Latest version is 4.3.87, dated 11/26/07. I actually used the DOS method to flash the card (via FDD & Wndows98 boot disc), but there were quite a few selections to choose which Flash chip. Not sure how the windows interface is, but you will have to try until one works. If it doesn’t, then a message will come up, at least DOS did. I have both of my 203B hooked up to it (2-port) and they work fine.

Thank you! I guess it depends on the card I selected (not sure which one yet), but I only saw version 4.3.84 from January 2007. Can I flash the BIOS in Windows Safe Mode, do you know? I take it that it doesn’t matter who makes the card as long as it’s got a siL3512 chipset.

Thanks for your help.

Ray

Hi :slight_smile:
No it doesn’t matter on the make.
As long as the chipset is correct.
Flashing in safe mode is advised, although you may have to reveert to flashing in true DOS mode. Depends on the motherboard.
Currently running 4 SATA DVDRW’s of a 3114 based card.
LG GSA-H62N, Lite-On LH-20A1S, Pioneer DVR-215D & Samsung SH-S203N.
OS is Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Hi,[quote=NOTS3W;2059786]I’m hoping to order an S203N but also need a SATA PCI (not Express and non-RAID) controller. Can you give me some instructions on where to get which firmware[/quote]You can get the latest drivers and firmware for your card on [U]Silicon Image Support Website[/U].

and how to flash the controller to BASE BIOS? The controller will be SiL3512-based. I can find a ton of them, but they all include RAID functionality which I don’t need or want.
This is the way, I flashed my 3512 card, that came as Raid:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/sata-ide-converter-235682/#post1972211
Very easy using device manager, no safe mode needed. :slight_smile:

[quote=mciahel;2060090]
This is the way, I flashed my 3512 card, that came as Raid:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/sata-ide-converter-235682/#post1972211
Very easy using device manager, no safe mode needed. :)[/quote]

When I had the PCI-IDE (SiI 680A) card installed, the flash/program BIOS tab never showed up under properties in device manager, unless a drive was connected to it. I didn’t want to risk having a drive affect the flash, thus, it was done through DOS. I didn’t even bother trying to flash the PCI-SATA 3512 controller via Windows.

Hi,[quote=KTL;2060093]When I had the PCI-IDE (SiI 680A) card installed, the flash/program BIOS tab never showed up under properties in device manager, unless a drive was connected to it. [/quote]This might be a feature. I personally [I]don’t[/I] see any risk of damaging a drive if the controller Bios is changed.
There is a higher risk for the drive in case the drive’s firmware is updated - even with official firmware and patcher.

Michael

Thanks, Michael. I’ll keep that link handy for when the controller and drive arrives.

Ray

Okay, I think I did this right. Can someone confirm?

The first indication of the SiI3512 controller was Windows’ New Hardware Found wizard. I think that’s what was expected. Windows didn’t like the 1.3.68.2 (4/13/07) drivers I downloaded from Silicon Image but used it’s own 1.0.62.0 driver dated 8/17/07.

I flashed the BIOS via Device Manager to b4384 and rebooted. I now have:

SCSI and RAID controllers
—SCSI/RAID Host Controller
—Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller

After the reboot, I pointed the New Hardware Found wizard to the 1.3.68.2 drivers and they did install properly this time. I let Windows search for a newer driver and it found 1.3.70.2 dated 6/28/07.

Should I be concerned about that SCSI/RAID Host Controller in addition to the SATALink Controller?

Is the newer driver (newer than what’s available from Silicon Image) okay or should I roll back to the 1.3.68.2 driver?

Thanks for all of your help.

Ray

You should be fine. I have the same configuration and both S203Bs on there work well.

Great! Thanks.