SH-S203B vs. SH-S203N

Hello all, was wondering…if I get the SH-S203N with lightscribe instead of the regular SH-S203B is there any reason why the unit should be different and/or worse in any way? Is lightscribe just an added upgrade on the exact same unit of the SH-S203B?

Thanks for your help!

Jonathan

The 203N hasn’t been out very long but early reports indicate it burns as well or better than the 203B, except perhaps TYG03 media.

thanks for your reply!! I have just ordered it online :slight_smile:

I was wondering: I’m going to be using this drive with a laptop so I need an SATA to usb converter…can anyone recommend one to me, which works well?

Thanks!

Jonathan

I use this coolmax:

http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/ccp52883--coolmax-cd-350-combo-ide-sata-to-usb2-0-multi-fu-cd-350-combo-dritopcd350r.htm

It come with a power adapter needed to power 3.5" and 5.25" devices.

It works with my Lite-On LH-20A1S and my Samsung SH-203B. It also worked with my Samsung SH-183B (until I blew it up, see below).

The only thing to know is you can put the power adapter in backwards if you push too hard, because the connector isn’t great. If you do so, you will kill your drive (I did with my 183B). It didn’t seem to bother the Coolmax itself though! So be careful to put the connector in the right way.

This device works with 2.5" PATA, 3.5"/5.25" PATA and 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA drives.

I recommend not installing the backup software that comes with it and thus ignoring the “backup” button on the device.

[QUOTE=happyscrappy;1919668]I use this coolmax:

It come with a power adapter needed to power 3.5" and 5.25" devices.[/quote]I own the same device, Sharkoon branded.

The only thing to know is you can put the power adapter in backwards if you push too hard, because the connector isn’t great.
Similar applies to the connectors for PATA drives. There is not enough space between the IDE connector and the PSU connector, so it is tricky to connect a PATA ODD device properly :frowning:
Also, the Jmicron chipset isn’t very compatible with PATA ODD. My Philips/Benq doesn’t work well if connected there. Haven’t tried my SH-S203B there.

Michael