Sh-S203B & Ricoh Japan R01

I don’t burn many discs. I have a Benq DW-1655 that will burn this disc at 4-6X. I just built a new box and went SATA with the S203.

I tried both Nero 6 & Nero 7. Nero 6 will not recognize this disc at all and burns it at 2.4x. Nero 7 will only burn it at 2.4x. The brand is RiDATA but they are Ricohs. I would like to at least burn these at 4x, the rated speed.

Is this because they are older discs, from 4-5 years ago? I would think as companies move forward they would have many of the older discs already “baselined” into the firmware from previous burners.

I still have SB01 for firmware. I was thinking of flashing with Samsung’s Liveupdate but I don’t know if its reliable or not. Thanks for any info.

You could swap starts with say T02’s and see how they burn using MCSE.

First of all, update the firmware - SB04 is the latest and CodeKing has provided some iportant enhancements in the Patch Ultilty sticky.

Secondly, the best, and really the only, DLs you should use are Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore.

Regards

[QUOTE=blutach;2077474]First of all, update the firmware - SB04 is the latest and CodeKing has provided some iportant enhancements in the Patch Ultilty sticky.

Secondly, the best, and really the only, DLs you should use are Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore.

Regards[/QUOTE]heyyo Les…ahhhhh SB01 is the best for this drive as i have two of em’ and jamescooly1 has same feelings with SB01.

Also ricohjpn[B]R[/B]01’s are single later DVD’s :wink:

Maybe you are thinking of [B]D[/B]01’s?

My DRU-840A wrote my R01 at 8x with decent results [only offered either 2x or 4x, not sure which one now, but actually wrote them at 8x Z-CLV], and I don’t think it had a strategy.

I’d personally suggest using MCSE with the RICOHJPN R02 strategy, then the R03 strategy [remembering to use the lower speeds]. YUDEN000 T02 might also be good, as [B]Bob[/B] suggested. :slight_smile:

Hi,

[quote=ch44racing;2077456]I don’t burn many discs. I have a Benq DW-1655 that will burn this disc at 4-6X. I just built a new box and went SATA with the S203.

I tried both Nero 6 & Nero 7. Nero 6 will not recognize this disc at all and burns it at 2.4x. Nero 7 will only burn it at 2.4x. The brand is RiDATA but they are Ricohs. I would like to at least burn these at 4x, the rated speed.[/quote]Unfortunately, Samsung dropped the support for this media with their 203 drives series.
So, continue using your Benq for that media, or build your own “custom firmware” as suggested by other members here in this thread.

I still have SB01 for firmware. I was thinking of flashing with Samsung’s Liveupdate but I don’t know if its reliable or not. Thanks for any info.
You can stick with what you have. Newer firmware won’t help with your particular problem here.
And if you want to upgrade your firmware, go the manual way. I wouldn’t trust any “Live-Update” tool for Bios or firmware at all.

[quote=blutach;2077474]First of all, update the firmware - SB04 is the latest and CodeKing has provided some iportant enhancements in the Patch Ultilty sticky.[/quote]Doesn’t help at all. For some reasons, 203B (and D) firmwares have no support for this MID at all :eek:

Michael

[QUOTE=Albert;2077506]My DRU-840A wrote my R01 at 8x with decent results [only offered either 2x or 4x, not sure which one now, but actually wrote them at 8x Z-CLV], and I don’t think it had a strategy.[/QUOTE]
To add, here are the two scans of RICOHJPN R01, as written by my Sony [rebadges SH-S202]. Note any comments in either post. Also note that my SH-S182M is picky when it comes to scans on burns by the Sony, so that makes the results all the better, in my opinion. :wink:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1874284-post8.html

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1895828-post47.html

If the burn times are between 8 and 10 minutes, then I’d say it’s writing at 8x. Or you could also check for an increase in noise as the drive shifts from 6x to 8x. If either is the case, then you have 8x burning [somehow]. If not, then I’d suggest modding with MCSE as suggested. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2077873]Hi,
Unfortunately, Samsung dropped the support for this media with their 203 drives series.
So, continue using your Benq for that media, or build your own “custom firmware” as suggested by other members here in this thread.
You can stick with what you have. Newer firmware won’t help with your particular problem here.
And if you want to upgrade your firmware, go the manual way. I wouldn’t trust any “Live-Update” tool for Bios or firmware at all.

Doesn’t help at all. For some reasons, 203B (and D) firmwares have no support for this MID at all :eek:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Michael:

Thanks for the detailed answer to my question(s). Is that common practice for an ODD manufacturer to “sunset” older discs? I have never heard of that before. Thanks again.

[QUOTE=Bob;2077480]heyyo Les…ahhhhh SB01 is the best for this drive as i have two of em’ and jamescooly1 has same feelings with SB01.

Also ricohjpn[B]R[/B]01’s are single later DVD’s :wink:

Maybe you are thinking of [B]D[/B]01’s?[/QUOTE]

Reaches for redfaced emoticon :slight_smile: :o :o :o

Regards

Hi,[quote=ch44racing;2078303]Thanks for the detailed answer to my question(s). Is that common practice for an ODD manufacturer to “sunset” older discs? I have never heard of that before. Thanks again.[/quote]it seems as if Samsung just got confused or something like that:

But they made that fault with 203D firmwares also. :rolleyes: And they started with that from the initial SB00 firmwares.

Michael