SH-S203B problems writing dual layer RICOHJPN D01 discs

as the the title really, just got my s203b to replace an optiarc 7170s have already burned a few single layers discs fine but have just gone to burn a dual layer ( RICOHJPN D01 ) and at 8X it burned but did so weirdly switching from 8X to 4X quite alot and left me with a disc unreadable in places that looks like a tree stump with so many different rings :confused:

2nd try at 4X and it failed the burn when it came to change layers :frowning:

any ideas?

program was Nero 7.8.5.0 for burn 1 which i then upgraded to 7.10.1.0 for burn 2 firmware is sb00 though have just downloaded sb01 I’m reluctant to waste any more DL discs without some info as to what’s gone mammary glands up

discs burned fine if not with stellar quality on the optiarc

1. Use ImgBurn instead
  2. Use Verbatim 2.4 - 6 x media that was made in Singapoure.

No, wait, order is wrong:

1. Use Verbatim 2.4 - 6 x media that was made in Singapoure.
  2. Use ImgBurn instead

Media you are using is not vey good. I wonder if the one you got is a fake. It is very hard to get good Ricoh DL.

I’ll have to second what jason12 said and about using Verbatim MIS DL discs the RICOHJPN D01 discs are not all that reliable
for constant quality burns they are mediocre at best and that is if you get a good batch of them to start with. :Z :sad:

I have the same problems with da_ging. But with TDK DVD+R DL disks. Any more ideas ? I am with SB01 firmware.

As already mentioned use Verbatim Dual Layer media & burn w/ImgBurn then your problems will disappear. :wink:

TDK again. :eek:

They need to be avoided.

What does ImgBurn say are the supported write speeds of these discs?

I have a distinct feeling that this burner is unable to burn anything other than verbs.

I posted a couple of Philips Dvd+R DL 8X, made in Taiwan, MID=CMC MAG-D04-00 scans in the quality scan thread for this drive, that say different.

Exactly. :clap:

Well, my Philips DVD+R DL are RicohJPN as well, and I am having great trouble writing on them with my Samsung drive (SH-183A).

Maybe this media is crap, but I wonder why it works fluently with all my other drives (benQ or LG for example)?

[QUOTE=apotsi;1911767]I have the same problems with da_ging. But with TDK DVD+R DL disks. Any more ideas ? I am with SB01 firmware.[/QUOTE]

READ post #2 and #3 again and again.

What a crock I bought memorex dvd+r dl and theyre junk tooo. I thought my sb-s203b was goin but it burns everything else fine.
I just bought this 25 spindle of mem’s do you think I should demand a refund???
Hawk.

[quote=hawk900;2141050]What a crock I bought memorex dvd+r dl and theyre junk tooo. I thought my sb-s203b was goin but it burns everything else fine.
I just bought this 25 spindle of mem’s do you think I should demand a refund???
Hawk.[/quote]

Why not.

People just don’t seem to grasp the fact that it’s Verbatim or nothing when it comes to reliable and consistent dual layer media. There is no alternative.

[QUOTE=negritude;2145286]… the fact that it’s Verbatim or nothing when it comes to reliable and consistent dual layer media. There is no alternative.[/QUOTE]

Amen.