SH-S203B problems with DVD+RW media

Hello to everyone.

Since I did a search and found nothing on the issue, I am posting a new thread.

I recently bought a Samsung SH-S203B SATA DVD-Writer.

I also did patch with the latest official firmware.

It is performing well on all media except DVD+RW.

I use both Windows and Linux so all of the following applications are used from time to time to write media:

• Nero 8.x latest (Windows)
  • ImgBurn latest (Windows)
  • k3b latest (Linux)

The problem is that from time to time when I insert recorded DVD+RW media from the DVD Writer, into my standalone DVD/DivX Player it says “No Disk”.

However, the DVD Writer itself and my DVD-ROM (a Plextor PX-130A) can always read this media.

This happens randomly - at least I haven’t been able to find a pattern and isolate the problem.

I suspect that the Samsung does not always finalise the DVD+RW media properly.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss. What should I do?

Some additional data that might help you:

• chipset and SATA-2 disk controller -> nVidia nForce4-SLI
  • standalone DVD/DivX Player -> Philips DVP-3040 (Mediatek MT-1389)

I would also like to point out that I never had that problem in the past with my previous DVD Writers (Plextor PX-708A, NEC-3540A, NEC-4571A).

DVD+RW media used are TDK 3.3x-8x speed.

Once again, this happens only on DVD+RW media. On DVD+R media (TY ceramic 1x-20x) and DVD+R-DL (Ricoh 8x) that I also use, everything is fine.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Hi and Welcome!

have you tried different DVD+RW media?
Please also post the MID of the discs you are using (Disc Info Tab in Nero CD/DVD Speed).
Maybe the 203 can’t handle this certain kind of media properly, but it works with others.

Michael

Thank you for the response.

No the truth is I have not tried any other media.

Nero CD/DVD Speed gives this media ID:

Disc type:       : DVD+RW
Manufacturer:    : Ricoh
MID              : RICOHJPN W21 001 (01h)

DVD-Identifier gives:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+RW:RICOHJPN-W21-001]
Disc Type :       	 [DVD+RW]
Manufacturer Name :      [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID :        [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID :          [W21]
Product Revision :       [001]

k3b gives:

Type:		DVD+RW
Media ID:       RICOHJPN/W21

Have there been any problems mentioned with this specific media type?

Do you have any alternative media type (DVD+RW 8x) that you recommend I buy?

That does not have any problems with this DVD Writer?

Hi,[QUOTE=sculptor437;1920453]Thank you for the response.[/quote]You’re welcome :slight_smile:

No the truth is I have not tried any other media.

Nero CD/DVD Speed gives this media ID:

MID : RICOHJPN W21 001 (01h)

Have there been any problems mentioned with this specific media type?
I am not aware, but this doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Do you have any alternative media type (DVD+RW 8x) that you recommend I buy?
You may try Verbatim discs. Or some 4x ones. Just to find out if there is a general problem with +RW discs and this drive.

If I have some time, then I’ll try some Ricohjpn W11, Philips and Verbatim discs (all 4x media). I only use RW discs as a replacement for VHS tapes, since they don’t seem to last very long :frowning: Lost 20% of my Philips and Ricohjpn within a year…

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1920501]I only use RW discs as a replacement for VHS tapes, since they don’t seem to last very long :frowning: Lost 20% of my Philips and Ricohjpn within a year…[/QUOTE]

I always do the same.

For permanent archiving purposes I use DVD+R TY ceramic media.

I have some older TDK 4x DVD+RW media to try (real Media ID Philips 041) but I know they won’t last very long because they’ve been already written many times.

Hi,[QUOTE=sculptor437;1920544]I have some older TDK 4x DVD+RW media to try (real Media ID Philips 041) but I know they won’t last very long because they’ve been already written many times.[/QUOTE]:iagree: The last disc that died was a Philips branded Philips 041. Seemed to burn fine (no indication of errors), but disc was unreadable at all.

But you should try one of these discs if they work with your setup.

Michael

Okay, here is an update, and most likely a conclusion.

Tried with TDK 4x DVD+RW media to try (real Media ID Philips 041) and there were no problems, no matter what burning software was used (Nero, ImgBurn, k3b) or whether less or more than 1GB was written (I never use the at-least-1GB-mode).

I also bought some Verbatim media as you suggested -> Verbatim 4x DVD+RW -> real media ID -> MKM A02 000 (Mitsubishi Chemicals).

Again with these there were no problems, no matter what burning software was used or whether less or more than 1GB was written.

So I consider the case solved and the conclusion is surely that the Samsung does not like RICOHJPN W21 001 (or it may not like DVD+RW 8x media at all).

I maybe a little pissed off since I lost about €8, but that’s life.

Thank you again for your help.

Actually I had the same problem once with Verbatim MKM A02, but I reflashed the firmware and it hasn’t happened again. :confused:

Sounds more like an issue with the standalone…too picky unit.

[QUOTE=chef;1921869]Sounds more like an issue with the standalone…too picky unit.[/QUOTE]

The possibility also crossed my mind. However I discarded it.

Because as I mentioned, the same media (RICOHJPN W21 001), written at the same speed (8x), with the same software, but with a different writer (NEC 4571A), had no trouble reading them.

If you’re not afraid to flash the drive I’d try using MediaCodeSpeedEdit to edit the firmware and substitute MKM A03 or RITEK 008 (double-click RICOHJPN W21 and select MKM A03) and see what happens.

[QUOTE=MrMoody;1922182]If you’re not afraid to flash the drive I’d try using MediaCodeSpeedEdit to edit the firmware and substitute MKM A03 or RITEK 008 (double-click RICOHJPN W21 and select MKM A03) and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

What would I gain from such a move?

Hello,

I’m new on this forum and I have a similar problem with my S203B writer.
I used to have a LITEON writer (4 years old) and always used MAXELL DVD+RW 1 - 2,4x speed DVD’s. Always without any problem.
Since I have the Samsung player, my standalone DVD player (a Sony DVP F11 which is very old) has trouble recognizing these MAXELL DVD’s which it never did when burned with the LITEON.

Then I bought some new MAXELL’s (DVD+RW 1 - 4x speed) and it seems these causes no problem at all on my standalone DVD player.

So, my problem seems to be solved but I’m a bit confused.
I realize these DVD’s are not the fastest and my Sony is very old but could it be that the Samsung has a problem with older types of DVD’s.

Greetz.

Some players are very picky on what type of media (MID) is used. Using Nero or Imgburn and setting the drive to booktype to DVD-ROM instead of DVD+R(W) is the best solution as well. You might try this and let us know if that worked.

Doc

Thanks for reply but I already did all these things without success.

My 203B is clearly not writing some of my +RW properly for my standalone. I can use the same disc in my LG or LiteOn burner without issues in the standalone.

I have the same problem. I HAVE burned them successfully for my Panasonic F87 before but I didn’t keep track of which firmware it was. Now I’m running SB01-2_FB_FR which fixed my +R DL compatability but broke the +RW again. All booktyped to DVD-ROM, which only stays set until the next reboot by the way. Samsung needs to do some work on the firmware, I hope they do.

Ugh, after burning the very same disc 5 times with the same image testing whether the booktype stays set, the disc now plays on the F87. No changes whatsoever. Perhaps the drive learned the media? Although the disc would read fine in the Samsung. Perhaps the bug is intermittent? I give up. It seems to be working now for no apparent reason.

[QUOTE=MrMoody;1929513]Ugh, after burning the very same disc 5 times with the same image testing whether the booktype stays set, the disc now plays on the F87. No changes whatsoever. [B]Perhaps the drive learned the media?[/B] Although the disc would read fine in the Samsung. Perhaps the bug is intermittent? I give up. It seems to be working now for no apparent reason.[/QUOTE]

No, the disc needed re-formatting few times to “gain” its full archiving power.
Means, some RW media has to be (pre-)formatted several times to work properly.

Possibly, but it doesn’t really make sense. The F87 doesn’t act like it’s having trouble reading, i.e. some retries then it goes, or picture glitches. It just grinds and grinds then finally gives up initializing the disc. Then when the re-burn worked it had no problem at all. It has no trouble reading any RW burned only ONCE in my Pioneer 111D. Also, I have some RITEK W06 -RWs that burn great in the Samsung first try, and play perfectly in the F87 first try.

Another possibility is that the Samsung doesn’t like RWs that have been burned in the Pioneer. I had no trouble migrating discs from a 106 to a 108 to the 111, but they were all Pioneers. I don’t have any virgin +RWs to test with, only the RiData -RWs. The whole purpose in buying RWs was so I could keep reusing them. :slight_smile: