SH-S203B hangs windows explorer and also BSOD!

Hey all,

I opted to buy the SH-S203B to replace my old generic 4x IDE DVD burner. I installed the SH-S203B and it shows up in BIOS and XP just fine.

I then used Nero to burn some MPEG’s into a DVD I could put into my living room DVD player. When it was finalizing the disc, it BSOD on me!!!

The drive also hangs explorer whenever I try to open my computer or windows explorer. It shows up, but it takes up to 10 seconds for ANY of my drives (including my hard drives) to even show up. Its like frozen until the drive letters appear. My old generic DVD burner didnt do that. Nor did my computer do this before I installed the new drive.

Anyone have any suggestions on what this might be before I go return this thing?

Thanks!

Hi and Welcome!

the most important question:
What SATA controller are you using and how is it configured (RAID, AHCI, etc.)?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1972253]Hi and Welcome!

the most important question:
What SATA controller are you using and how is it configured (RAID, AHCI, etc.)?

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Im at work at the moment, but Im pretty sure its the nvidia MCP55?

My system
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI (rev 2)
AMD64 x2 4800+
2GB DDR2-800
(2) 250GB WD drives in Raid 0
(1) SH-S203B DVD Burner
XP PRO and Vista Prem dual boot
22" Samsung 226CW
500W Thermaltake PSU
PNY 8800GT 512MB
7.1 onboard HD sound

Don’t know if I have the nvidia MCP55 or not but I do have an nvidia mobo with the most current software installed as I am a big big nvidia fan personally. The only thing different other than that is I have the 203n series instead of the b series.

Hi,[QUOTE=djennison;1972298]Thank you!
Im at work at the moment, but Im pretty sure its the nvidia MCP55?

My system
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI (rev 2)
(…)
(2) 250GB WD drives in Raid 0
(1) SH-S203B DVD Burner
[/QUOTE]Ok. Nvidia should work basically.
The problem might your RAID configuration. Please check if you can set certain SATA ports to a non-RAID operation mode in BIOS setup.
Otherwise, install a PCI SATA controller card with Silicon Image chipset (3112, 3512, 3114) and apply the base BIOS if the card comes configured as SataRaid.

Michael