SH-S203B Does Not Recognize Writable Media

Hi everyone ^_^. Glad to have found such a forum full of knowledgeable people. I just got a new DVD writer, the Samsung SH-S203B. Unfortunately, I’m having some trouble with it.

First of all, the drive is detected by XP as a “TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B.” It seems to read everything other than writable media. I have read the FAQ btw, but still am unsure of what to do. This is obviously not an IDE drive, so I didn’t know whether solutions for IDE drives would apply to a SATA drive.

I uninstalled my old copy of Nero, thinking that it might be part of the problem, but it wasn’t. So the drive is not recognized by the OS as a writable drive at all. Now I am wondering if it is, as suggested, the controller drivers’ fault. Here’s my specs btw…

AMD 64 X2, 2GB G.Skill Ram, DFI Infinity NF UltraII-M2, Win XP Pro SP2. The drive is connected as master on the first SATA channel.

[I]Questions:

1. I am assuming that, after checking the mobo manual again, it does not matter which SATA channel the drive is on?

2. My controllers are using the nForce4 ADMA drivers. What is the best way to change them to XP drivers (which drivers should I use)? And, is this the next best option to try in wanting to resolve this issue?[/I]

Thank you very much for your assistance in advance. I look forward to your replies.

Welcome to cdfreaks. :slight_smile:

Not familiar with nForce chipset mobos at all so I hope other members will help you with those questions. :wink:

My questions; how does the drive show up in windows explorer, what media are you using (DVD Identifier can give you media ID).
Can you post us a Nero InfoTool output (#4 in this guide).
Thanks.

This is the way my NVidia Card looks and it works great.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1859146&postcount=664

Hi,

Normally, it shouldn’t. But if anything fails, it is worth trying.

[B]2.[/B] My controllers are using the nForce4 ADMA drivers. What is the best way to change them to XP drivers (which drivers should I use)? And, is this the next best option to try in wanting to resolve this issue?[/I]
The most easiest way should be using the Nvidia drivers installer that is located in Control Panel “Add/Remove Software”. It will let you install/uninstall single components of the drivers package. You’ll need to uninstall the Nvidia IDE drivers.
Reverting to MS default drivers is IMO the best option to sort out driver issues. But be careful if you are running your harddisks in a RAID setup - I don’t know what happens if the Nvidia IDE drivers are uninstalled then.

Some users were successful by using the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Michael

[B]Pinto[/B]: The drive shows up as “CD Drive.” But it does read DVDs, just not writable media. So, since it won’t read my writable DVD media, using DVD Identifier would not really be possible. However, I am attaching the InfoTool file.

[B]Alan[/B]: Yes, that is exactly what it looks like on my system as well. Was there anything specific which you had to do in order to make the drive work properly?

[B]Michael[/B]: I don’t actually know with certainty whether the driver switch would fix the problem, since I don’t know whether that is the cause. However, I’m not running a raid setup… yet. But I will be in the future, so that’s also a concern. I tried installing new nForce drivers from NVidia, which rendered my OS non-functional. There are no newer drivers available from DFI.

your drive should be fine

try this tool
http://imgburn.com/

find an iso and burn

Thank you for the link. I will check that out. Though I hope I can do more than just ISO’s. I am intending to backup a fair amount of files off my system, which obviously are not in an ISO format. I could probably figure out a way to create an ISO, but that seems like a roundabout way of doing it :P.

ImgBurn can do it… does not have to be an ISO.

Good to know, I will give it a try :D. Though I would still like the drive to be working properly…

drive is probably working correnctly, your nero install was probably corrupt

I don’t have the 203B drive yet ( :bigsmile: mine is arriving on Wednesday) but I do :iagree: with what Michael. One of my computers has a Asus mobo that has the nvidia drivers but I did not install the nvidia ide drivers since I use that computer to test out dvd burners. I had my Samsung Sata 183L drive installed on that computer which gave me no problems in burning dvd & cd media.

Your really going to like this new SATA Sammy :iagree:

Hi,

Then there is nothing to lose if you switch to MS default IDE drivers. Just try and see if that helps.

However, I’m not running a raid setup… yet. But I will be in the future, so that’s also a concern.
Running opticals connected to controllers that are configured as RAID [B]is[/B] a problem at all, unless you are able to configure dedicated connectors as standard IDE in your controller setup (Example: SATA1+SATA2 as RAID, SATA3+SATA4 as IDE).

There are no newer drivers available from DFI.
Mainboard manufacturers don’t offer anything else but Nvidia’s drivers.

Michael

I just purchased a second SH-S203B and installed it on my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe last night and I am running the nVidia drivers and the drive works great. Did a 20x burn and was amazed at the results. Using ImgBurn… I own Nero, but it is no longer installed on any of my rigs.