SH-S203B BURNING PROBLEMS - Please Help

Hi i bought a new S203B drive (my first sata writer), the problem is that when i burn a dvd it burns well, but the verify is horrible lot of errors and the data are corrupted. :sad:
The firmware is the SB01 and the mainboard is a ABIT NF7-S rev 1.5 (nforce 2) with the sata drivers updated SiI 3112.
I use good media Verbatim advanced azo+ dvd+r x16 and with a tdk dvd+rw x4 i had the same errors on the verify.
I installed the xp 2 weeks ago and i tried with nero 7.10.1, nero 8 and imgburn, write at 4x,12x and 16x and always burn well but the verify lot of errors and the data corrupted. Please need a solution, my drive is bad? :confused:

TIA :rolleyes:

Hi and Welcome!

is there any way to set your controller as non-RAID (perhaps in BIOS setup)? Maybe the RAID setting is the source of your problems.

Michael

Hi, thanks for your answer, in my bios are two options for enable/disable:
1º -Serial ATA Controller
2º -Sata Raid ROM

The second (Decide whether to invoke the boot rom of the onboard sata chip). If i disable this the system can’t boot from the HD, it says that don’t find NTLDR and that i must boot from a cd or press ctrl+alt+sup…

When i installed the xp and pressed the f6 for install the sata drivers (two kinds of drivers available: * SiI3x12 32-bit Windows BASE Driver and * SiI3x12 32-bit Windows SATARAID Driver) if i try with the first drivers (no raid) when xp install makes the first reboot it gives me this error “INT13/02h Read error (AX=0100, DL=80)” and i can’t continue, so i must install the raid driver and activate the sata raid rom in the bios for the system can boot from the hd. :confused:

Any solution, is this the real problem of my drive?

TIA

It is a rather stupid question but did you check for compatibility issues with your motherboard and did you upgrade the drivers for sata raid and your motherboard’s firmware?You can always try using a pci sata raid card and see what happens but this is not an economicaly wise decision.

Your system HDD is also connected to this controller? If so, then changing any settings related would render your Windows installation useless.

Running an optical drive on a controller in RAID mode is always a problem.

I would then suggest to buy another Silicon Image based SATA card and flash that with base firmware and run with base drivers. But I don’t know if there will be some conflicts at the beginning et least.

Michael

[QUOTE=Elkukuo;1922174]It is a rather stupid question but did you check for compatibility issues with your motherboard and did you upgrade the drivers for sata raid and your motherboard’s firmware?You can always try using a pci sata raid card and see what happens but this is not an economicaly wise decision.[/QUOTE]

The drivers and the bios of the mobo is with the last revision.
The master hd is a sata drive and works fine …
I think is better to buy an ide writer drive than a new controller :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=mciahel;1922183]Your system HDD is also connected to this controller? If so, then changing any settings related would render your Windows installation useless.

Running an optical drive on a controller in RAID mode is always a problem.

I would then suggest to buy another Silicon Image based SATA card and flash that with base firmware and run with base drivers. But I don’t know if there will be some conflicts at the beginning et least.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Yep the hdd is a samsung hd501j 500Gb and works fine, the mobo have 2 ports ide(ata) and 2 sata1 (150mb), i have the hdd in the first and the writer in the second.
If there isn’t more solutions than buy another sata card, i think that is better and maybe cheaper to buy an ide writer :sad:
Thanks for your answer i hope if anyone can give me other solution for this :frowning:

Hi,[QUOTE=petexice;1922201]
If there isn’t more solutions than buy another sata card, i think that is better and maybe cheaper to buy an ide writer :sad:
Thanks for your answer i hope if anyone can give me other solution for this :([/QUOTE]The other solution would be to change the operation mode of the SATA controller to non-RAID (if possible in BIOS, I don’t know if flashing to non-RAID firmware of the onboard controller works, but there is such firmware available if I remember correctly). But this would require at least a repair installation of the operating system if not even a new install from scratch.
Or return the drive and get a P-ATA one.

Michael

Well, I am experiencing the same problem as you are, and a lot of Googling gave me a possible solution.

1. The problem seem to be with a Si3112 controller. Suggestions have been given to use the latest bios but patched with the updated bios for Si3112 controller. I have not try this myself, so I don’t know if it is working for me. Here is the link

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/abit-vf12.html

Unfortunately, I could not find this procedure for your version of motherboard, as I have v2.0 version, which have been patched.

1. There is another thing you could try to see if it helps, although they say it will downgrade the speed of your SATA drives. This was documented in one of the official ABIT bios updates. Here is the link

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_bios_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Bios&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=NF7-S&pSOCKET_TYPE=Socket%20A

Here is the quote from the above link:

Fixed SATA RAID-0 data corruption issue by adding a new option
"EXT-P2P’s Discard Time" in “integrated Peripherals”. The default
setting is “30 us” ; which is recommended by NVidia. In case the problem is still there, try “1 ms” please.

Basically, it gives more time for the communication between two sata/pata drives and a less chance for error. However, some folks say that it is not a clever solution as it makes things run slower.

1. A third option is to buy new PCI sata controller.

2. One more thing, you should also (and before messing with bios) run memtest+ to check for errors in memory, because memory issues can manifest in this way also.

3. Try taking your drive to some other computer to eliminate things like bad power supply unit, bad cables etc.

Hope this helps, I still have to try this things that I am mentioning, so take this advices with caution (basically, nothing except flashing patched bios can go wrong).

I have tried what I suggested under advice no. 2, setting timing in bios to 1 ms. I didn’t notice any significant change as the performance is concerned, but I was finally able to burn a CD without any miscompared data. So, do not mess with patched bios, just try this first, you have to find this option in your bios if you have a recent enough version.

If for some reason this doesn’t do the trick for you, then I suggest either checking memory with memtest or buying a new sata pci controller. Leave the option of using the latest bios version PATCHED with latest si3112 bios from Silicon Image web page as your latest resort. But consider updating official bios to the latest version if you haven’t done it yet.

Best regards,

Juraj

[QUOTE=Juraj;1946673]Well, I am experiencing the same problem as you are, and a lot of Googling gave me a possible solution. [/QUOTE]Welcome to cdfreaks and thank you for helping other members. :slight_smile:

…The problem seem to be with a Si3112 controller…
Yes, OP and all members posting in this thread can for sure agree with you. And more precisely, the luck of means to load/add appropriate SiI drivers to mobos bios
Fixed SATA RAID-0 data corruption issue by adding a new option
"EXT-P2P’s Discard Time" in “integrated Peripherals”. The default
setting is “30 us” ; which is recommended by NVidia. In case the problem is still there, try “1 ms” please.
Sorry to say but the quoted part (as well as the rest of your discussion) has nothing to do with optical drives. Please read that sentence again; “Fixed SATA [B]RAID-0[/B]…”
… A third option is to [B]buy new PCI sata controller[/B].
Right! And already suggested all around forum, SiI3512 it should be. :wink:

Thank you for pointing this out. It did help me burn my first CD correctly after 5-6 that went wrong. Maybe it is not because of that and the problem will arise again when least expected, hope not. And I agree that buying a new PCI sata controller is the best option. Here where I live, they cost as much as a new burner.

Best regards,

Juraj

Thanks for your answers, i’ll try them, but at last i bought a new IDE drive LG GSA-H55N just 30€ and works very well, better than a new sata controller :iagree:

Greetings :smiley:

Just to say that changing the option in the bios completely solved my problem, I burned 10 cd’s in a row, all verified correctly. And it is a nice thing to have another burner, too.

Best regards,
Juraj