SH-S203B Burner no longer reads properly

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung DVD WRITER SHS203. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]My Samsung WriteMaster no longer reads DVDs but will burn just fine. I ordered just the drive with no software like an idiot because I wasn’t thinking and my friend put Nero on my computer to help. It worked for a while and then there was an update and Nero found me out and now the drive no longer reads DVDs which I kinda need. Does anybody know where I can get the software? :doh::o

Maybe explain, “my drive no longer reads Dvds”, what kind of Dvds? What are you trying to do? Just say what you want to achieve, start to finish, leave nothing out.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2275588]Maybe explain, “my drive no longer reads Dvds”, what kind of Dvds? What are you trying to do? Just say what you want to achieve, start to finish, leave nothing out.[/QUOTE]

It’s not reading movie or game dvds (it tries but pulls up nothings properly). I want to be able to watch movies on my computer again or play most of the new games that are on DVD these days. I think I need drivers but not sure. It will read a data CD and burn a data DVD but not read them. Basically I have the hardware only and need the software to make it work right.

Does that make sense now?:frowning:

Hi,[QUOTE=Ravenfire;2275566]My Samsung WriteMaster no longer reads DVDs but will burn just fine. I ordered just the drive with no software like an idiot because I wasn’t thinking (…) Does anybody know where I can get the software? :doh::o[/QUOTE]a legit copy of Nero can be bought at the computer shop round the corner.
Additionally, there are some free softwares around, you might browse through our Software forums for ideas (and there are lots).

[QUOTE=Ravenfire;2275624]It’s not reading movie or game dvds (it tries but pulls up nothings properly). (…)It will read a data CD and burn a data DVD but not read them. [/quote]So you can’t even access data from a DVD using a file manager like Windows Explorer? This should work out of the box without any additional software.

Basically I have the hardware only and need the software to make it work right.
If you can’t even access data discs, then this is not a software issue.
Either your Windows installation is messed up, or there is some hardware related problem.

At first, please start Windows in Safe Mode and see if you can access the data on a DVD using Windows Explorer.

Michael

No it can read data disks just not DVD’s.

If you insert a video DVD, can you browse the disc content using a file manager like Explorer?

It lets me see the files but won’t play them. It says decoder error…restart, yada yada…won’t play. Before this started when I had Nero on here it worked fine and then a week later the same DVD I played before won’t play. I can’t afford Nero and wondered if anybody knows of some good FREE software I could get that might work or if anybody has the software that came with the drive. Nero and/or windows updated and then Nero found out I wasn’t a legit user (was my friends copy) and stopped working. :flower:

Okay. so there is nothing wrong with the drive.
Try VLC.

Michael

Thanks a ton that worked like a charm. :D:bow: dances

[QUOTE=Ravenfire;2276640]Thanks a ton that worked like a charm.[/QUOTE]You’re Welcome :slight_smile: