SH-S203B audio CD playback stutter

I mainly use foobar2000 0.9.4.4 for playback and I get a 1 sec stutter typically at the start of each track. In WMP 9 there are only a few random stutters throughout the whole disk, but longer in duration. I currently use firmware SB01 but I have tried reverting to the original SB00 without improvement. What do you people think, I have a bad drive?

Hi :slight_smile:
Not enough info.
Media? Write speed? Burning s/w.
Does this happen with any other drive?

I have a strange problem with the drive also my friend that i can’t even figure out yet plus i found a new problem on the DVD-ROM side with -R discs and the blanks are even TY. But i will know whats up with this drive in a few days and without the other equipment i need to test here yet i won’t know for a few days. But i having a feeling the SH-S203B will have to be RMA. Waiting for a SH-S203N which is same with LS and if that don’t act like this one THE “B” gets RMA’d.

The problem is irrelevant to media. I have tested both pressed and CD-R/RW (Taiyo Yuden and other brands).
I have checked with 3 other PATA drives and none have given me this consistent problem with playback.
I don’t generally use the nforce4 SATA drivers, although I have tried installing them without seeing any benefit (they just break DMA in all drives).

Which other audio players have you tried with?

I have also tried VLC 0.8.6c and PowerDVD 7.3.3104a.1. They both pause briefly on the switch between tracks, not suitable for CD playback in the first place. Anyway, I am going to wait a couple of days more for some feedback from other people in here and then return the drive. It is a shame since this is such a quiet drive and could have been an excellent player.

It may be the disc itself, not properly (eg too fast) recorded…

As I wrote above, the problem is independent of media (tried both pressed and burned). Of course cd-r recorded with this drive at 48x seem to produce the strongest stutter but I have tried disks burned at various speeds and from various drives and it is always there. I have tried everything to isolate the problem -even a clean OS install- and everything points to this device, but I am open to suggestions from anyone.

I am not getting any audio on playback of any disc in this drive. It simply does not have audio cable hookups to go to my sound card. SH-203N. Also upon playback of any burned movie disc the colors are all asque and not in the right places. However when I insert the disc’s into my other burner everything works just fine.

[QUOTE=xsile;1914085]I am not getting any audio on playback of any disc in this drive. It simply does not have audio cable hookups to go to my sound card. SH-203N. Also upon playback of any burned movie disc the colors are all asque and not in the right places. However when I insert the disc’s into my other burner everything works just fine.[/QUOTE]

You don’t need audio cables any more (in fact, as I discovered recently, they haven’t been needed with CD/DVD drives for quite a while). Go to Device Manager, double click on your CD/DVD drive, and under Properties make sure that “Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device” is checked.