SH-S203B + ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 motherboard

i heard the samsung s2003b has probs with via chipsets.

my new motherboard has:
North Bridge: VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra
South Bridge: VIA VT8237S
full specs here.

will the samsung work with it?

Hi,[QUOTE=fairuza;1919620]i heard the samsung s2003b has probs with via chipsets.[/quote]:iagree: (See also the FAQ please)

my new motherboard has:

I was not aware of this revision of the 8237 southbridge.

will the samsung work with it?
I’ve no idea how compatible this southbridge is with SATA optical drives in general. Basically it should work, apart from the inability to flash newer firmwares. Maybe this was fixed with this southbridge version.

Rule of thumb: if there are no additional drivers needed, then there should be less problems to be expected.
In case of trouble, you can still get a Silicon Image based SATA PCI card.

Michael

[QUOTE=fairuza;1919620]i heard the samsung s2003b has probs with via chipsets.

my new motherboard has:
North Bridge: VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra
full specs here.

will the samsung work with it?[/QUOTE]

I have 2 VIA based motherboards with VT8237R+ ( Biostar K8M800M-AM2 ) and VT8235 ( Asus A8V-X ) southbridges and SH-S203B works perfectly in both.

To ensure compatibility with VIA you need to config the SATA as IDE mode ( not RAID ).

See this post: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/samsung-sata-drives-via-sata-controllers-227845/

Hi,[QUOTE=zhadoom;1919890]I have 2 VIA based motherboards with VT8237R+ ( Biostar K8M800M-AM2 ) and VT8235 ( Asus A8V-X ) southbridges and SH-S203B works perfectly in both.[/quote]No problems with updating firmware with the 8235?

Just curious, Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1919930]Hi,No problems with updating firmware with the 8235?

Just curious, Michael[/QUOTE]

No problems at all. The 8235 southbridge is more advanced than the 8237R+ ( 4 SATAII ports ).

My first experiences with SH-S203B are using A8V-X ( 8235 ).

Opps.

I made a mistake. The southbridge of A8V-X is the 8251.

Ah, okay. This is something else. :wink:

I have Asrock 775Dual-Vsta

The good

1. Drive runs fine with the asrock board…at least I did not have any problenms as far as burning and reading cd’s and dvd’s.

The Bad

1. It would not allow me to update the 203b firmware running off of the sata connectors of this board…I had already updated the f/w from asrock (mobo firmware).
    to latest for WindowsXP.

You have two options:

Option 1…update your 203b firmware in another system.

Option 2 …as another member said get a silicone image add in controler…which is what I did.

I bought this one and am happy with it…:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132007

Hi,[QUOTE=Roadhog32901;1920160]I have Asrock 775Dual-Vsta

The good

1. Drive runs fine with the asrock board…at least I did not have any problenms as far as burning and reading cd’s and dvd’s.

The Bad

1. It would not allow me to update the 203b firmware running off of the sata connectors of this board…[/quote]this has 8237[B]A[/B] southbridge. 8237[B]S[/B] might be different in this case. 8237[B]R+[/B] is reported to be not affected, so there might be some chance for improvements :slight_smile:

Michael

Yea…possible things have improved mciahel:bow:

If not try updating f/w in another computer and worse case (which is not so bad) get a sil img card.

I still think it is very strange the drive seemed to work perfect with onboard sata…only problem was updating the 203b firmware. Go figure?

I was using the onboard sata ports for hard drives any way…I was just testing the drive out on the onboard sata ports for a brief period…I had already bought two sil img cards…209 and 210…and I like the 210 better. The 209 tries to auto load info to my bios…which it does not have room for (yet still works lol)

209 has 4 ports available (4 int if you need them) (or two int and 2 ext)
210 has 1 int port and one esata ext port.

Get the 210 if you go the Rosewell card

On any non $ntel motherboard I think you better connect Sammy sata drive to an add-on sata-pci card.:iagree:
You’ll get this type of card quite cheap, and when with SiL chipset I’ve yet to see a drive not being able to upgrade firmware.

@roadhog: i have a 4coredual-vsta and samsung 203b attached to one of its sata interfaces. had no problem updating the fw.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=humptydumpty;1920355]@roadhog: i have a 4coredual-vsta and samsung 203b attached to one of its sata interfaces. had no problem updating the fw.[/QUOTE]Thanks for your first post since it is the most helpful of this thread :slight_smile:

Michael