SH-S203 safe for DVD-R?

Has anyone had any trouble with DVD-R media, containing DVD video, with this drive? I’m not referring to quality scans, as I’ve had what appeared to be decent quality scans, with top quality TY DVD-R 8X media, on my Samsung SH-S184 external USB drive.

The burn quality of the media, when scanned on my NEC-3550A drive, looks excellent. My older Panasonic DVD player cannot read the -R media that the SH-S184 turns out though…it spins for a minute or so, then stops and a “no disc” error displays. This player never had a minute’s worth of trouble reading DVD-R discs turned out with two older burners, so this came as quite a shock.

The DVD-R media, created by the Samsung, will play on my Philips DVD player, but the video will break up, momentarily, into blocks at random intervals…and it doesn’t matter which burn speed is used. I eventually gave up trying to use this burner with DVD-R discs.

The $29.99 price tag for the SH-203B drive at Newegg looks very enticing, but I’m reluctant to spend the money if the same problem is going to surface with this drive. One reviewer at Newegg is claiming to have trouble with DVD-R media on this drive, but I’ve learned to take Newegg reviews with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Hi,
[I]off topic[/I]QUOTE=William5916;1915897
My older Panasonic DVD player cannot read the -R media that the SH-S184 turns out though…it spins for a minute or so, then stops and a “no disc” error displays. This player never had a minute’s worth of trouble reading DVD-R discs turned out with two older burners, so this came as quite a shock.[/QUOTE]You may search for “DVD-R Lead-In” in this forum. This is an issue with many 18x series drives.
I think the 20x series is not affected. I suggest to create a new thread to discuss this further, since this thread is only about the review, not the drive itself.

Michael

So far i only burn -R in my 203’s (with very few exceptions). Works a treat with MCC03RG20 & MCC02RG20. Fist i was not sure if it was accidental but now i have two drives and both burn those discs perfectly. Very good even at 18x… In my opinion the 203B is a pretty safe buy for that kind of Verbatim media… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;1916309]Hi,
[I]off topic[/I]You may search for “DVD-R Lead-In” in this forum. This is an issue with many 18x series drives.
I think the 20x series is not affected. I suggest to create a new thread to discuss this further, since this thread is only about the review, not the drive itself.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I’m well aware of the lead-in problem, though I couldn’t rationalize why a wider lead-in area would result in video breaking up into blocks periodically on my newer Philips player, from top quality media that it previously had no issues with.

I’m not trying to hijack or change the direction of this thread, and this will be my one and only response…was just hoping for an answer that the test report didn’t seem to fully address. I purchased the previous Samsung drive based mostly on a very positive test report at cdfreaks.com. I’ve learned the hard way that quality graphs don’t always paint a complete picture.

Hi,

I thought it was a good idea to split the posts about this into a new thread, so we can have some more input of other users.

[QUOTE=William5916;1916400]Thank you. I’m well aware of the lead-in problem, though I couldn’t rationalize why a wider lead-in area would result in video breaking up into blocks periodically on my newer Philips player, from top quality media that it previously had no issues with.[/quote]me neither. You might try the older, “CD-Freaks edition” if you own a SH-S182D or M.

I’m not trying to hijack or change the direction of this thread, and this will be my one and only response…
Since we have a new thread now, this interesting discussion can continue:)

was just hoping for an answer that the test report didn’t seem to fully address.
As already said, I am not aware of something like the Lead-In issue with the 20x drives. And CJ2 confirmed, he has no problems so far. I haven’t tried my own Samsungs (182D and 203B) with DVD-R yet.

I purchased the previous Samsung drive based mostly on a very positive test report at cdfreaks.com.I’ve learned the hard way that quality graphs don’t always paint a complete picture.
This would even had been on topic in the Review thread :wink:
There are two things to take into consideration:
Some drive manufacturers really manage to break things with newer firmware releases. :doh:
Also, playback on standalone players is not part of the review procedure. And if it were, then the disc burnt with the tested drive might do well on the Sony player of the reviewer, but not on your Philips.

But you’re right: a review only covers a fraction of the whole palette.

Michael

Michael, thank you for spinning off the question into a separate thread.

I’m very interested in this drive, in spite of my experience with the Samsung SH-S184. I have a new system now, which came with an LG OEM drive, SATA, that does a stellar job of burning discs. It is horribly slow at spinning up discs though, and extremely slow at extracting video content recorded with my Panasonic DVD recorder.

I purchased a 20X Lite-On model to supplement that drive, and the Samsung would end up replacing the LG if I decide to go ahead and make the purchase. The review, overall, sounds extremely impressive, especially if the DVD-R issue has been corrected.

Thanks again for opening up the thread, and for the advice! It was much appreciated.

Bill

I suppose my primary aim is fast quality backups. I have a few ways to reach that goal. One is the Pioneers (111 & 112) - another is the Samsung 203’s http://club.cdfreaks.com/1917541-post2089.html

Hi,[QUOTE=William5916;1917568]Michael, thank you for spinning off the question into a separate thread.[/quote]You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I’m very interested in this drive, in spite of my experience with the Samsung SH-S184.
Since this drive is exactly a SH-S182M in external enclosure, you might try the drive with the patched CD Freaks Ed. firmware available on codeguys.rpc1.org

I have a new system now, which came with an LG OEM drive, SATA, that does a stellar job of burning discs. It is horribly slow at spinning up discs though, and extremely slow at extracting video content recorded with my Panasonic DVD recorder.
Keep the LG since it is a good burner. Also you seem to need a fast reading drive. I am not sure if the 203 meets your requirement. How is the performance of your 184 with those discs? This would at least give you a rough picture of what you can expect from the 203.

Michael

I have not encountered any problems with playback on any stand alone players using -R in any of my three S203B drives
using MCC 02RG20, MCC 03RG20, TYG03, CMC MAG AM3 or even some crappy TYG02 Value-line discs. :disagree: Nope I’ve had no
lead-in problems with the S203B none that I’m aware of anyway. :wink:

Being wary of the lead-in problem of the previous Sammy models, the first thing I did when I got my first two 203B’s was measure the lead-in distance and compare it with measurments from known-good, playable-on-everything discs burned with several older burners I have. (NEC ND-2500, 3550.) It was comforting to find that the 203B’s lead-in position was in the normal range. :clap: