SH-S202 DVD-RAM not recognized

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S202N / TS-H652N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a call-recording machine(Mirra Series 2), which uses DVD-RAM as a medium to save call data. It worked fine with Panasonic SW-9574-C recorder, but this SW-9574-C is not able to read DVD-RAM’s any more. I tried to clean SW-9574-C, but had no success. However, then I bought a Samsung SH-S202N optical device, which supports DVD-RAM as well. It has also PATA interface, same power requirements, master/slave jumper is set correctly etc, but the call-recording device is not able to recognize this SH-S202N device!

As much as I have researched, those devices are very similar and I have no idea, why doesn’t this new optical device work with call-recording machine. I made info-pages with Nero info tool:
SH-S202N --> http://encodable.com/uploaddemo/files/SH-S202.txt
SW-9574-C --> http://encodable.com/uploaddemo/files/SW-9574-C.txt

The only difference is that this older optical drive, SW-9574-C, uses DVD-RAM’s only with cartages, but newer SH-S202N uses without cartages. However, this should be only a mechanical difference. I had two SH-S202N models and both were new, so the optical drive itself is fine.

Any additional questions/comments are most welcome! However, why doesn’t this call-recording machine detect this SH-S202N optical drive? :rolleyes:

Hi,

this is a hard one.
Have you [I]tried [/I]the drive in a computer in order to sort out a bad drive?
What you could also try:

• another IDE cable to connect the drive (try 40 wired and 80 wired variants)
  • a brand new DVD-RAM disc

Additionally, I would not exclude that your call machine is somehow locked to certain drive models. Asking their customer support about compatible replacement drives would be a good idea.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2407136]Hi,

this is a hard one.
Have you [I]tried [/I]the drive in a computer in order to sort out a bad drive?
What you could also try:

• another IDE cable to connect the drive (try 40 wired and 80 wired variants)
  • a brand new DVD-RAM disc

Additionally, I would not exclude that your call machine is somehow locked to certain drive models. Asking their customer support about compatible replacement drives would be a good idea.

Michael[/QUOTE]
thanks for reply! Yes, I have tried this SH-S202N drive in another computer(Windows XP Pro) and it worked fine after installing this driver. SH-S202N drive seems to be fine.
I can’t change the IDE cable, because this recording device uses non-standard connector at the motherboard end. And with the same cable, the recording machine is able to detect the SW-9574-C device just fine.
The DVD-RAM disk is new(Verbatim 3x DVD-RAM). The old one is Panasonic 9.4GB dual-side DVD-RAM disk. Both DVD-RAM disks are writable under Windows XP machine using SH-S202N device.

There is no customer support- Racal(manufacturer of [I]Mirra Series 2[/I]) is now part of Thales Group, which doesn’t seem to provide support for that kind of devices. I have emailed to them. They seem to be focusing on space and military electronics.

I have no idea, what is the operating system of this recording device. However, it uses PowerPC CPU and I guess that the OS is based on FreeBSD. However, nothing about OS is mentioned under the documentation.

Are there different drivers for each device under OS? As much as I know, those devices are highly standardized and I have never seen such incompatibility issue:rolleyes: Or might there be some compatibility or standardization issues between DVD-RAM recorders with or without cartages? This is barely the only difference I can see between SH-S202N and SW-9574-C…

Okay. So the manufacturer support is no help for you :frowning:

Apart from the “drive is tied to device” theory, only one other possible compatibility comes to my mind:
The 202 might support other DMA modes than the Panasonic drive. If you use an 80wired IDE cable, and hook both drives to a computer running Windows XP (or higher), you should be able to find out the transfer mode of both units. (See: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/).
If the Panasonic is a UDMA2 drive, and if the cable (unfortunately not a standard cable in your device) is 40wired one, then there might be issues with UDMA4 drives. I am not sure at the moment if the 202 is UDMA4 or UDMA2, thus I suggested to check in a Windows computer.

Edit:
The Panasonic seems to be a UDMA4 drive: http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/optical/models/SW9574C.htm

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2407202]Okay. So the manufacturer support is no help for you :frowning:

Apart from the “drive is tied to device” theory, only one other possible compatibility comes to my mind:
The 202 might support other DMA modes than the Panasonic drive. If you use an 80wired IDE cable, and hook both drives to a computer running Windows XP (or higher), you should be able to find out the transfer mode of both units. (See: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/).
If the Panasonic is a UDMA2 drive, and if the cable (unfortunately not a standard cable in your device) is 40wired one, then there might be issues with UDMA4 drives. I am not sure at the moment if the 202 is UDMA4 or UDMA2, thus I suggested to check in a Windows computer.

Edit:
The Panasonic seems to be a UDMA4 drive: http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/optical/models/SW9574C.htm

Michael[/QUOTE]

I tried both drives with 80pin cable in another PC- both drives worked at UDMA4 mode. By the way- this Panasonic SW-9574-C drive was not an original drive. It was a replacement drive as well. What I want to say is that this recording-device is not locked at least with only one model :slight_smile: However, any more ideas?

If anyone is interested in taking closer look, then here is the manual of [I]Mirra Series 2[/I] in [I].pdf[/I]: http://www.2shared.com/file/6863850/4afa77c3/Mirra_en.html

Hi,[QUOTE=mrtnt;2408616]I tried both drives with 80pin cable in another PC- both drives worked at UDMA4 mode.[/quote]Okay. Then we can sort out this theory also.

By the way- this Panasonic SW-9574-C drive was not an original drive. It was a replacement drive as well. What I want to say is that this recording-device is not locked at least with only one model :slight_smile:
What was the original drive?

However, any more ideas?
Perhaps another drive with Panasonic chipset. If I remember correctly, LG’s PATA drives have a Panasonic chipset. Even if you try all DVD-RAM capable drives on the market, that would be still cheaper than buying another SW-9574-C (if your work time does not count) :wink:

Michael

the original drive is unfortunately unknown and I have found it nowhere in documentation. However, I managed to try with [I]Samsung SH-S182[/I]. I even made some pictures:

Unfortunately, this SH-S182 was unrecognized as well. One interesting remark is that with SW-9574-C drive, the tray of optical drive will open if I push the upper micro-switch at the front panel(seen on the first picture). With SH-S202N and SH-S182 it doesn’t work. I thought it is purely mechanical feature…

Anyway, I am pretty much out of ideas:(

I managed to try with LG GH22LP20 drive(ROM ver 1.02), but the results were same- drive was not recognized.
When I wiew the drives I see this:

And when I click on the [B]Upper Disk[/B] where the drive is located I get this:

And this is all the technical info I have about this recording device:

40179-309-10-02A
APP_0015_M
WIND version 2.5
SIMM-1:32MB
SIMM-2:32MB
SIDM-1:40179-302-11
SIDM-2: N/A
SIDM-3: N/A
SIDM-4: N/A
DSP Kernel:003.0040
FPGA:2-39

Is there something more I should test or try? Or any ideas, what migt cause this issue?

Hi,

unfortunately no idea apart from getting another Panasonic drive and see if that works.
Maybe these Panasonic drives have something special. Worst case, these Panasonic drives need a custom firmware adapted to this device. But if you can’t get any help from customer support, I guess you are lost.

Michael

I used to work at a national switch site for the emergency services and have you tried to install a new recorder as per the config manager check chapter 4 ,also this prob uses windows nt this does not always work in plug and play mode the solution is probably looking at you in the face. Try to be a bit more analytical

[QUOTE=bazer2;2418979]I used to work at a national switch site for the emergency services and have you tried to install a new recorder as per the config manager check chapter 4 ,also this prob uses windows nt this does not always work in plug and play mode the solution is probably looking at you in the face. Try to be a bit more analytical[/QUOTE]

I tried replacing optical drive according to manual when I was actively dealing with this issue, but still no success. Further more- now I don’t have the technical manual as well because this 2shared.com link is dead. I’m afraid this thread has to be marked unresolvable :frowning:

Just stumbled across this thread as I took over my old companies Thalis Mirra 2 upon closure, unfortunately the guys left in IT then couldn’t find neither manual nor the software. Anyone maybe has an idea how or where I can enquire those?