SH-S183L Won't Read Panasonic DVD RAM

vbimport

Hello All,

When I load a DVD RAM into the samsung containing recorded material from my Panasonic DMR-ES20, Its not recognized. When I double click the drive, I just get a ‘Please insert a disk into drive G:’ message. DVD+R, DVD+RW, and CD are fine (that’s the only other media I have to test’).
I’ve read that this may be a UDF2 driver issue, but I’m running XP SP2 so I should be OK?
I’m a bit gutted at the mo, only bought this drive for its DVD RAM capability, to get my movies and tv programmes off DVD RAM and onto something more universal.

Has anyone else had this problem?
I would be most grateful for any help or suggestions.

Regards,
Dilsnik

Hi,

DVD-Recorders might write formats that are not always recognised in computer drives. Please check the manual of your recorder for further information about this.
Also, try to sort out if there are general issues with DVD-RAM discs. You need a blank disc or just one you can delete. Format the disc (unfortunately, Windows XP supports only FAT32), and see if you can write and read data on it.

I’ve read that this may be a UDF2 driver issue, but I’m running XP SP2 so I should be OK?
XP should read UDF2 formatted discs, but there is always a chance, that you recorder is using some variant that is not supported.
You can also try Panasonic’s UDF driver, which adds UDF write support to Windows’ integrated driver. Just ask Iris at Toshiba.com for DVD-RAM drivers and get the latest version offered :wink: Please read the enclosed documentation after having installed the drivers as you want to work with discs written by a standalone recorder.

Important note: Make sure, there is no packet writing software like InCD, DLA, etc installed. Also any software that installs virtual drives should be removed from the system.

I’m a bit gutted at the mo, only bought this drive for its DVD RAM capability, to get my movies and tv programmes off DVD RAM and onto something more universal.
I can understand you.

Has anyone else had this problem?
I haven’t yet set up my Panasonic drivers for my new 182 yet, as I am running W2k, and I have to edit some inf files there.

Michael

Thanks for your advice Michael, I now have some hope. Right, time to get to work.

Thanks and Regards,
Dilsnik.

Mciahel,

It seems that my VIA SATA chipset does not like SATA optical drives. My computer refuses to flash the Samsung (noticed I was not using the latest firmware). So this may be compounding my problems. Tried all your suggestions to no avail. I’m sending this drive back for the 182M IDE, hopefully I’ll fare better with that one.

Regards,
Dilsnik.

I had some problems first time I tried to edit a recording from my Panasonic dvd-recorder because the dvd was not closed (in the Panasonic). Can’t remember if it was a dvd-ram (I haven’t used my recorder in ages) but this is something which could be easily overlooked.

Hi,

Nice :frowning: This was already mentioned in the old document available on Samsung website. I really thought, they improved something in between. Have you installed latest Via Hyperion Pro drivers? As 5.11a seem to have some problems, try 5.10a.

So this may be compounding my problems. Tried all your suggestions to no avail.
So you can’t even write on DVD-RAM discs?
I’m sending this drive back for the 182M IDE, hopefully I’ll fare better with that one.
In that case, it is a good idea.

Michael